Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:Oh we had 3 of these come up IN the chicken run this week!!! Seems to happen overnight, bet they are coming in for food???

2. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Great coop!
    We have black widows behind our coop too. [​IMG] What's orange guard?

It's a non-toxic insect spray. It was suggested by a few people on byc. I'm not sure how effective it is on black widows though. I haven't sprayed one directly with it. You can get it at Ace Hardware but it's kind of expensive. About $10 for the 32 oz bottle and $27 for the gallon. I use it fairly sparingly only when needed.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Thanks! It works well for the space we have for it. Our last one was up against the house using the house wall as the back wall of the coop. When we took it down there were black widows and egg sacs galore. [​IMG] This one is about 5" from the wall and I can spray orange guard back there when needed.

Now he tells me!

Ahhh well, we'll just have ot get a pet that likes Black Widows. [​IMG]

Sorry! The coop worked really well except for that. I know, I'll send over some scorpions. Maybe they'll eat them.

Another "There Was An Old Lady. . ." list might have to be started about that one. Maybe your honey badger could be in there somewhere.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Oh the Honey Badger video!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:You have a PR named One Dot? I have a tortoise with that name. [​IMG]
    We marked it with one dot and it's hatch mate with two dots to tell them apart. So they were One dot and Two dot.

My big tortoise died, BTW. She turned herself over on a hot day and couldn't get turned back. I had just checked on her that morning. [​IMG]
    I had her for 16 years. Her name was Tippy. Named by my daughter because she said she was walking on her tip toes (not because she ever tipped herself over before. [​IMG])

Very informal name. One has one dot behind her eye, the other has two.

Not very original but One Dot climbs into your hand then sets down and relaxes.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Now he tells me!

Ahhh well, we'll just have ot get a pet that likes Black Widows. [​IMG]

Sorry! The coop worked really well except for that. [​IMG]

It's all good. Did you have the wall of your house as part or was it separated with wire like the one in your picture.

I was going to put fiberglass reinforced panels against the house until I saw the price!

7. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Hey Mikey, just stick that sneaker in the hole and that should run the critter off. Looks like a AZ ground squirrel hole, not sure on proper name, but they are very destructive critters and can really mess up stuff around your coop by burrowing under and into...

Look like this...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GyRaggBKU...400/California+Ground+Squirrel+-+Yosemite.JPG

That is a Rock Squirrel. We have them where I work. There are holes everywhere!! Ok, I work at a cemetery and we do not need any help with digging! They are very destructive and the maintenance/landscape men have to fill in the holes constantly but the squirrels are winning.

8. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Sorry! The coop worked really well except for that. [​IMG]

It's all good. Did you have the wall of your house as part or was it separated with wire like the one in your picture.

I was going to put fiberglass reinforced panels against the house until I saw the price!

The wall of the house was part of it. I had put extra paint on that part of the wall so that it would clean up easier. My new one does have hardware cloth on the back.

9. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    I LOVE the honeybear video! [​IMG]

10. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:Agreed...planning early is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by