Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
  2. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Awesome! My dad called (lives in NY) and told me about this article. He said tiny chickens and I asked, "are they Seramas?"

How cool! I was searching for it to post for ya'll but obviously Leanna's net powers are more far reaching than my own. [​IMG]

My favorite quote

""They have the run of the apartment - except for the bedroom - and lay about two eggs each a week. They also have a litter box of sand so they can give themselves cleansing dust baths.

But "they poop everywhere," said McMinn, who uses the droppings to fertilize the soil in nearby community gardens."

3. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Very nice - that's what I'm shooting for!

Thanks! It works well for the space we have for it. Our last one was up against the house using the house wall as the back wall of the coop. When we took it down there were black widows and egg sacs galore. [​IMG] This one is about 5" from the wall and I can spray orange guard back there when needed.

4. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Awesome! My dad called (lives in NY) and told me about this article. He said tiny chickens and I asked, "are they Seramas?"

How cool! I was searching for it to post for ya'll but obviously Leanna's net powers are more far reaching than my own. [​IMG]

My favorite quote

""They have the run of the apartment - except for the bedroom - and lay about two eggs each a week. They also have a litter box of sand so they can give themselves cleansing dust baths.

But "they poop everywhere," said McMinn, who uses the droppings to fertilize the soil in nearby community gardens."

Two words: chicken diapers

5. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    WTH did this?

[​IMG]

found it in the front yard just now. Obviously not very fresh. Tammy says rabbit, I say the dreaded Honey Badger!

NSFW Honey Badger

This is my size 10, in need of replacing, sneaker next to it for scale:

[​IMG]

Dirt is flung back about 4-1/2' and piled up about 10" high.

I'm still think'n Honey Badger!

6. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Very nice - that's what I'm shooting for!

Thanks! It works well for the space we have for it. Our last one was up against the house using the house wall as the back wall of the coop. When we took it down there were black widows and egg sacs galore. [​IMG] This one is about 5" from the wall and I can spray orange guard back there when needed.

Now he tells me!

Ahhh well, we'll just have ot get a pet that likes Black Widows. [​IMG]

7. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    NEWS FLASH!

Peepers changed their minds about grapes!

They didn't want anything to do with them until one of the Production Reds (One Dot) attacked it. Then it was a free for all!

I think they like fighting over them more than eating them.[​IMG]

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Hey Mikey, just stick that sneaker in the hole and that should run the critter off. Looks like a AZ ground squirrel hole, not sure on proper name, but they are very destructive critters and can really mess up stuff around your coop by burrowing under and into...

Look like this...

[​IMG]

9. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:You have a PR named One Dot? I have a tortoise with that name. [​IMG]
    We marked it with one dot and it's hatch mate with two dots to tell them apart. So they were One dot and Two dot.

My big tortoise died, BTW. She turned herself over on a hot day and couldn't get turned back. I had just checked on her that morning. [​IMG]
    I had her for 16 years. Her name was Tippy. Named by my daughter because she said she was walking on her tip toes (not because she ever tipped herself over before. [​IMG])

10. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Great coop!
    We have black widows behind our coop too. [​IMG] What's orange guard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by