Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Gophers. My neighborhood is plagued with them.

2. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Gophers. My neighborhood is plagued with them.

So far we have:

AZ Ground squirrel
    Rock Squirrel
    Gopher
    HONEY BADGER!

3. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Next Noob question.

I do not believe the peepers are hot. They are not panting and they are not lethargic. However when they lay down (squat?) they relax and spread their wings like this:

[​IMG]

Normal or too hot?

4. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Quote:I think they're relazing (ie being normal) [​IMG] But someone else might have a more useful opinion!

5. Bob's Henhouse

Bob's Henhouse More like Bob's Nuthouse!

Sep 11, 2010
    Wittmann
    Mikey D, I think they may be warm. My adults do that to cool off. My guess for your digger is a brown tailed prairie dog. We are infested with them. They'll eat most anything they can carry off vegetation wise, and eat through vines, drip systems, tree roots, vegetable roots.

Thanks Southern Desert. I'll try and get through the tub this week. Wherever its supposed to go next please speak up, plus im me so I don't miss it.

I want to know who stuffed all their crap into my house, garage and yard!?! I'm getting tired of moving it! Still not done. My kids told me I have extras/backups of everything! So far only have one call to do tomorrow, hope to be able to work on moving the rest of the week.

6. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Serama/Silkie mix photo update:

He's all business up front, well, sorta....

(.....if your business is being extremely fluffy and ridiculously cute with a tuft on your head)

[​IMG]

and Party in the Back!

[​IMG]

Yep. My cockerel has a mullet! and stylish booties!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm hoping the solid grey one is a pullet, but I'm honestly not sure.
    It seems like her little comb is starting to bump up like his, but it's hard to tell because of the grey color. Anyone have ideas??

They are both so sweet and cuddly. I don't look forward to when they go outside, actually [​IMG] And I definitely don't want to see them go if they're both roos. I hope hope hope they are quiet!

7. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Songster

May 19, 2011
    You need to name him billy ray! I don't think silkies are to loud.

8. pdx2phx

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] I keep trying to convince my DH that he/they wouldn't be loud, but a quieter crowing roo is still probably too loud [​IMG] I dunno

9. pimachickens

pimachickens Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Tucson
    Quote:
    Come on people...that is clearly the home of a colony of Desert Shrews.[​IMG]

10. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Bob's Henhouse :

Mikey D, I think they may be warm. My adults do that to cool off. My guess for your digger is a brown tailed prairie dog. We are infested with them. They'll eat most anything they can carry off vegetation wise, and eat through vines, drip systems, tree roots, vegetable roots.

Thanks Southern Desert. I'll try and get through the tub this week. Wherever its supposed to go next please speak up, plus im me so I don't miss it.

I want to know who stuffed all their crap into my house, garage and yard!?! I'm getting tired of moving it! Still not done. My kids told me I have extras/backups of everything! So far only have one call to do tomorrow, hope to be able to work on moving the rest of the week.

Thanks Bob. I've lowered the heat a tad. They don't see to be keeping away from the heat, but I was concerned. We turned off the AC about a week ago and none of the swamp cooling gets into the bathroom / peeper heaven. I'ts prolly around 85 in there. I'll put the thermal-meter back in there & find out.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by