Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    TT! :

Gallo kidnapped me! He had me locked in the chicken coop. Why didn't you guys send help? [​IMG]

'cause you can't kidnap the willing.... [​IMG]

2. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:'cause you can't kidnap the willing.... [​IMG]

I actually did that to my daughter once (by mistake, of course). She was in the small coop holding chicks and I left, inadvertently locking the coop from the outside.
    She had to break the lock to get out.[​IMG]

3. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:We are not sure how that came about. She had a dose of Panacur almost 2 weeks ago. Dr. asked if anything has changed in the run and coop. The only thing they have been into the last week is digging up the garden and eating worms.

I read that she could have gotten from being stressed or mold on corn. They got the last of the cracked corn. I didn't see anything bad when I gave it to them? I took her in due to sneezing the past 3 days. She would sneeze 4-5 sneezes at a time and then gasp for air. Part of her comb was turning purple. I was giving her antibiotics thinking she may have a respiratory issue but her nares were clear and no bubbles or anything form the eyes. I looked in her mouth and saw yellow "blobs" on the back of her tongue and the inside of her beak. Didn't want to wait for the weekend in case she got worse. She did not have the signs as listed below.

Kefir? Is that good for the girls? Should I be giving that to them? I just want to give them anything that will keep them healthy and laying good eggs. ( The yolks are not orange anymore- not sure why.)

"A disease of the alimentary tract of chickens, turkeys, and sometimes other birds and mammals, characterised by thickening and white plaques on the mucosa, especially in the crop but sometimes in the proventriculus, intestine and cloaca, and associated with gizzard erosion.

The cause is a fungal yeast, Candida albicans and the condition is seen worldwide. Morbidity and mortality are usually low.

The route of infection is normally oral and the organism is often present in healthy animals with disease occurring secondary to stress and poor hygiene. The fungus is resistant to many disinfectants.

Signs

Dejection.
    Poor appetite.
    Slow growth.
    Diarrhoea, possibly confused or masked by signs of the primary disease."

Where can I get Kefir grains?

4. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ

I actually did that to my daughter once (by mistake, of course). She was in the small coop holding chicks and I left, inadvertently locking the coop from the outside.

The way the door is currently set up on the panels I got from meg, that is possible as well. I'm going to retro something to solve that little issue.

Don't want to be COOPED-UP with the chickies for extended periods of time! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:I'm all for it!

I've a one ton crew cab long bed that'll haul anything. If an 8' bed is not long enough I have a Chevy 5500 with an 18' bed. It is harder to load but if they'll load it on pallets with a forklift it'd be fine!

We can set up a delivery route (as long as ya'll are into kicking in a few bucks for diesel (I'm not yet burning veggi oil [​IMG] )) and drop the feed on the way back. Yes Tuscon peeps - you're all good too [​IMG] .

Lemme know! I'm into it!

Edit for another series of questions...

How long will feed last?

What would be the best way to store it?

If this works out could we set up a regular run every 3 - 6 months (see first question)?

Would we get the high protein content that somebody (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) has been recommending?

Is there a drawback to too much protein?

Is there a limit on asking questions?

When am I going to get off my butt and build that silly coop?

NEWS FLASH!!! - PEEPERS MAY BE GETTING TOO BIG TO FEED BY HAND! (ever hear of "don't bite the hand that feeds you?")

I'm in...

6. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ

Haha that would be terrible!

I didn't really get kidnapped. I found a new job.. I went from 15-20 hours a week, to 40 hours a week. I spend over 2 hours commuting each day. I'm never home [​IMG]

7. heatheraz

heatheraz New Egg

Oct 8, 2011
    Hi, all. [​IMG] My name is Heather and I just joined this forum in an effort to find a source of local pastured chickens to purchase for my family...I have had the most trouble finding somewhere to purchase from since my last provider stopped selling! I have a great source for pastured eggs now, but whole pastured chickens have been so hard to come by.

I am not in a place where I am able to start raising my own chickens (though I hope to someday...) but for now would really love to find somewhere/someone to purchase from. [​IMG]

I look forward to reading up on raising chickens in AZ and learning some of the do's and don'ts for a hopefully/someday little coop of my own. [​IMG]

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:what is B-B?

Idaho & Apache trail in Apache junction - 'bout 1/4 mile south of the trail on the west side. Nice folks and they seem to really be animal people.

I have bought food there a couple times and once both bags were full of mold.... Once they replaced the Purina with a different brand and the other time it was full of weevils and I just got my $$ back and have not been back. This was last spring....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Quote:I actually did that to my daughter once (by mistake, of course). She was in the small coop holding chicks and I left, inadvertently locking the coop from the outside.

The way the door is currently set up on the panels I got from meg, that is possible as well. I'm going to retro something to solve that little issue.

Don't want to be COOPED-UP with the chickies for extended periods of time! [​IMG] [​IMG]

yup, the fireman figured it would only be a matter of time before i locked myself in. so little faith, but oh so right(that's what 15 years of marriage will get ya) he fixed it right up as soon as the coop doors were on and locked me right in. but i can get out................ [​IMG]

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Welcome to the AZ thread!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by