Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Ok, I need a visual of that. Maybe TT could draw me a picture.

Here's a pic of Bridget: now if you can turn her into a pumpkin [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
  3. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    I saw this on another list and thought some of you might be interested.

Water fowl rescuer Tammy Vrettos has many ducks and geese that MUST be relocated from her rescue immediately. She has domesticated mallards , peking ducks ( big white ducks), and geese. If you (or anyone you know) could manage a few extra residents to make your pond, stream, water feature, or baby pool that much more enjoyable, consider taking on a few ducks or geese! Tammy may also have some chickens and a few turkeys. Please contact Tammy at 480.205.3639. Thank you for your consideration!

4. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:[​IMG] I love rusty metal!
    Scorpion, Snake, flowers (silhouetted in front of the wooden mailbox post) and the giant crank in the background will be the new mailbox post.
    [​IMG]

***Edited cause I got the order mixed up***

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:[​IMG]

I didn't keep track 'cause I really don't want to know. The roofing cost was awful. We used tar paper and rolled roofing like on our patio.

We are debating the rolled roofing but the roof size will be 120 sq/ft and the rolled roof is $50 per square (1 sq = 100 sq/ft) so it would be $100 for the rolled. The good architectural shingles are $90 a square so $120 would get us the matching roof. Plus there is drip edge and trim and all the other nonsense. Arrrrggggggg!!!

6. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:What kind of roofing materials? I need a few shingles for my coop. It's 8x8 and I thought I'd just use the regular asphalt shingles or whatever they're called. Let me know if you have to buy more then you need, we can split a pack.

64 sq/ft is going to need (with zero waste) 2 bundles of shingles. Zero waste is not possible (Not in my universe anyway [​IMG] ) because you have to offset the courses of shingles (so the seams don't line up). Plus you'll use an escra strip a the top and bottom of the run anyway. I'll pick up 3 bundles for you if you'd like but I think there is a Homer closer to you than I am. Let me know when you're ready though and I'll lend you a pneumatic roofing nailer. Saves TONS of time!

7. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:I'm all for it!

I've a one ton crew cab long bed that'll haul anything. If an 8' bed is not long enough I have a Chevy 5500 with an 18' bed. It is harder to load but if they'll load it on pallets with a forklift it'd be fine!

We can set up a delivery route (as long as ya'll are into kicking in a few bucks for diesel (I'm not yet burning veggi oil [​IMG] )) and drop the feed on the way back. Yes Tuscon peeps - you're all good too [​IMG] .

Lemme know! I'm into it!

Edit for another series of questions...

How long will feed last?

What would be the best way to store it?

If this works out could we set up a regular run every 3 - 6 months (see first question)?

Would we get the high protein content that somebody (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) has been recommending?

Is there a drawback to too much protein?

Is there a limit on asking questions?

When am I going to get off my butt and build that silly coop?

NEWS FLASH!!! - PEEPERS MAY BE GETTING TOO BIG TO FEED BY HAND! (ever hear of "don't bite the hand that feeds you?")

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
  9. mclevinson

mclevinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:What kind of roofing materials? I need a few shingles for my coop. It's 8x8 and I thought I'd just use the regular asphalt shingles or whatever they're called. Let me know if you have to buy more then you need, we can split a pack.

64 sq/ft is going to need (with zero waste) 2 bundles of shingles. Zero waste is not possible (Not in my universe anyway [​IMG] ) because you have to offset the courses of shingles (so the seams don't line up). Plus you'll use an escra strip a the top and bottom of the run anyway. I'll pick up 3 bundles for you if you'd like but I think there is a Homer closer to you than I am. Let me know when you're ready though and I'll lend you a pneumatic roofing nailer. Saves TONS of time!

If you have any extra use it for the bottom of the nest box under the bedding material. Makes it really easy to clean the nesting boxes.

10. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Quote:I'm all for it!

I've a one ton crew cab long bed that'll haul anything. If an 8' bed is not long enough I have a Chevy 5500 with an 18' bed. It is harder to load but if they'll load it on pallets with a forklift it'd be fine!

We can set up a delivery route (as long as ya'll are into kicking in a few bucks for diesel (I'm not yet burning veggi oil [​IMG] )) and drop the feed on the way back. Yes Tuscon peeps - you're all good too [​IMG] .

Lemme know! I'm into it!

Edit for another series of questions...

How long will feed last?

What would be the best way to store it?

If this works out could we set up a regular run every 3 - 6 months (see first question)?

Would we get the high protein content that somebody (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) has been recommending?

Is there a drawback to too much protein?

Is there a limit on asking questions?

When am I going to get off my butt and build that silly coop?

NEWS FLASH!!! - PEEPERS MAY BE GETTING TOO BIG TO FEED BY HAND! (ever hear of "don't bite the hand that feeds you?")

I would love in on the feed if you guys get it going and it is cheaper that what I have here in NM. I also live next to a farm of feed corn and millo and maybe others. My friend has a silo (small) that I was going to try to fill for chicken feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by