Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Quote:My brooder is a large dog kennel that has a solid (pull out tray) bottom. We've got it up on blocks, so that the water goes under the brooder.

As a side note does anyone want a kitten? We took in a couple of cats and they've both had babies, and we do not need seven more cats. The first little are 10 weeks, and the second is 4 weeks.

2. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    The Sulmtalers have moved out next to the big coop. They are huge! At 10 weeks nearly the size as my adult chickens). Here a pic with one of the cockerels and the four pullets.

[​IMG]

And here a pic of two of the Mahonri chicks not too long after hatching. Note the Brahma ancestry on the left one [​IMG].

[​IMG]
    (Yes, Mikey, that is rusty metal. We use that for our shower surround...)

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My brooder is a large dog kennel that has a solid (pull out tray) bottom. We've got it up on blocks, so that the water goes under the brooder.

As a side note does anyone want a kitten? We took in a couple of cats and they've both had babies, and we do not need seven more cats. The first little are 10 weeks, and the second is 4 weeks.

I'm still trying to find a home for my stray kitty. Although, he sleeps on my head at night so I think he thinks he's staying.
    The dog kennel would work short-term for the laying breeds but not for the meaties. The meaties need something bigger like a tractor that I can drag around with dirt on the bottom. Maybe I could make a platform for the tractor for flood days, though, if no other ideas.
    My coop is raised on blocks to keep the other chickens dry. Except the Banties and a few delinquents, who have decided they prefer tree roosting.
    This morning and yesterday morning, we woke up to Banties on the front porch![​IMG] I think Mr. silver Duckwing is the ringleader to the escapes, at least I hope he is, since he's being rehomed. If not, the Banties are getting a little haircut on their wings next week and will have to learn to sleep in the coop at night, since they won't be able to fly into the lemon trees.
    There was also a red chick on the outside of the tractor![​IMG]
    Chicken madness, maybe the weather?[​IMG]

4. Tracydr

Quote:Bair Organics Seed Garlic, Inchelium Softneck Organic
    1lb$14.50

Thanks! Good price for seed garlic. I'm joining Azure on Monday!

5. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Bair Organics Seed Garlic, Inchelium Softneck Organic
    1lb$14.50

Becky, where is your drop point located at? I think Tracy is south of me and maybe it would be closer to her.

6. Tracydr

She probably had a viral infection causing her to sneeze. Or, possibly bacterial. Then, the antibiotics caused thrush, just like we get yeast infections on antibiotics. Babies will get thrush, often when they are on antibiotics but sometimes just from stress.
    Kefir has a lot of good bugs which can restore balance. It will work like probiotics but probably better, since lots of times, you can't be sure probiotics are very lively, since they've been stored.
    Comb may have been turning prurple from the respiratory issue, not sure.
    Beta -carotene will help with orange eggs. Try supplementing with pumpkin or squash, nastituriums and other orange flowers, really any orange types and dark greens as well.
    Corn molds are certainly a thought since they are scary, although they will usually cause toxins in the liver, not sure about respiratory issues.
    Quote:How'd she get thrush? Has she been on antibiotics or something?
    More kefir!

We are not sure how that came about. She had a dose of Panacur almost 2 weeks ago. Dr. asked if anything has changed in the run and coop. The only thing they have been into the last week is digging up the garden and eating worms.

I read that she could have gotten from being stressed or mold on corn. They got the last of the cracked corn. I didn't see anything bad when I gave it to them? I took her in due to sneezing the past 3 days. She would sneeze 4-5 sneezes at a time and then gasp for air. Part of her comb was turning purple. I was giving her antibiotics thinking she may have a respiratory issue but her nares were clear and no bubbles or anything form the eyes. I looked in her mouth and saw yellow "blobs" on the back of her tongue and the inside of her beak. Didn't want to wait for the weekend in case she got worse. She did not have the signs as listed below.

Kefir? Is that good for the girls? Should I be giving that to them? I just want to give them anything that will keep them healthy and laying good eggs. ( The yolks are not orange anymore- not sure why.)

"A disease of the alimentary tract of chickens, turkeys, and sometimes other birds and mammals, characterised by thickening and white plaques on the mucosa, especially in the crop but sometimes in the proventriculus, intestine and cloaca, and associated with gizzard erosion.

The cause is a fungal yeast, Candida albicans and the condition is seen worldwide. Morbidity and mortality are usually low.

The route of infection is normally oral and the organism is often present in healthy animals with disease occurring secondary to stress and poor hygiene. The fungus is resistant to many disinfectants.

Signs

Dejection.
    Poor appetite.
    Slow growth.
    Diarrhoea, possibly confused or masked by signs of the primary disease."

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  7. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

I didn't keep track 'cause I really don't want to know. The roofing cost was awful. We used tar paper and rolled roofing like on our patio.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. Tracydr

Quote:Sure. I have no idea where I'll put another grow-out, but I'll get it figured out.
    Just have to talk the hubby into using the area behind the trees for another tractor.
    I have to find a solution for irrigation days. These chick pens are a hassle on flood days. Any suggestions?

One by one I'm raising mine--either concrete blocks supporting a wire floor or filled in with sand and shavings.

I've been considering a second grow-out coop with concrete blocks. I hate to have meaties in one place but I don't really have enough room in my garden to do a fully pastured meat pen after the first four or five weeks, unless it's a pretty small batch, anyway. The batch I have now has almost outgrown their 8X2 tractor and if the tractor was much bigger I couldn't move it around the yard well. The rest of the yard is gravel.
    I might get a coop half the size of the one I have now, or build one, and raise it. Or, raise only the area they have to sleep. I assume with an easy enough ramp even the fat meaties could climb it?

9. Tracydr

Quote:What kind of roofing materials? I need a few shingles for my coop. It's 8x8 and I thought I'd just use the regular asphalt shingles or whatever they're called. Let me know if you have to buy more then you need, we can split a pack.

10. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:We are not sure how that came about. She had a dose of Panacur almost 2 weeks ago. Dr. asked if anything has changed in the run and coop. The only thing they have been into the last week is digging up the garden and eating worms.

I read that she could have gotten from being stressed or mold on corn. They got the last of the cracked corn. I didn't see anything bad when I gave it to them? I took her in due to sneezing the past 3 days. She would sneeze 4-5 sneezes at a time and then gasp for air. Part of her comb was turning purple. I was giving her antibiotics thinking she may have a respiratory issue but her nares were clear and no bubbles or anything form the eyes. I looked in her mouth and saw yellow "blobs" on the back of her tongue and the inside of her beak. Didn't want to wait for the weekend in case she got worse. She did not have the signs as listed below.

Kefir? Is that good for the girls? Should I be giving that to them? I just want to give them anything that will keep them healthy and laying good eggs. ( The yolks are not orange anymore- not sure why.)

"A disease of the alimentary tract of chickens, turkeys, and sometimes other birds and mammals, characterised by thickening and white plaques on the mucosa, especially in the crop but sometimes in the proventriculus, intestine and cloaca, and associated with gizzard erosion.

The cause is a fungal yeast, Candida albicans and the condition is seen worldwide. Morbidity and mortality are usually low.

The route of infection is normally oral and the organism is often present in healthy animals with disease occurring secondary to stress and poor hygiene. The fungus is resistant to many disinfectants.

Signs

Dejection.
    Poor appetite.
    Slow growth.
    Diarrhoea, possibly confused or masked by signs of the primary disease."

Thanks for your great info. I sure will try it. One question with the anything orange. Will my Delaware start yellowing again? She is my only white gal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by