Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:I really considered it. When I priced organic bulk from my co-op it worked out to be about the same as what I pay for a bag. Someone on the Valley Permaculture Alliance (is that what they're called now?) gave me her recipe once. Am I allowed to link to that site?

I would think so; it is certainly not a competing website.

Here's the link to the recipe.

http://www.phoenixpermaculture.org/...-wheat?id=2008067:Topic:63604&page=3#comments

Anyone in the east valley own "Feeding Chickens" by G F Heuser that I could borrow? Maybe I could get it thru interlibrary loan.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Who wants to try calling the Casa Grande mill, or better yet, going there? I tried getting through a few months ago and I must not have been clear because they referred me to a sales guy who played phone tag with me and we never hooked up.
    Usually with a feed mill you need to do about 1-2 tons of feed. I think we probably have enough people interested to do this. If somebody ( Mikey?) is willing to run down with me, I'd be happy to be part of the pick-up. I'd prefer to have it bagged for ease of splitting the order and handling, unless it greatly increases the cost. If it does, we could divide into rubbermaid bins, which I've found hold about 200 lbs apiece.
    I have a one ton pickup but it's not good for hauling because of a fifth wheel hitch. I can haul bagged feed in my three horse trailer.smaller orders, less than 800 lbs, I have a Bantam trailer that I can take my FJ (SUV) and get another 400 lbs in the back of the FJ.
    Anyway, Mikey, if you have something better, or if this would work, let me know. Let's see what we can figure out.
    I think there might also be a mill in Buckeye, does anybody know?
    I know there are some mills farther away, can't remember where. Into the far corners of the state. But then, we'd probably need to start some sort of relay pick-up system, with members who live closer getting the pick-up and bringing it partway. I think Yuma, Winslow and somewhere in the Southeast have mills.

3. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Mama Hen

I had some dellies, Southern Desert has them now(thanks). But I never gave them feed with marigold in it, they ate tons of greens, always got into my plants and flowers, etc, and just over time they yellowed a bit. I think just from the corn in the feed? I only feed scratch in the cold months, so not very often. I don't know if feeding extra orangy stuff will turn her into a pumpkin though. [​IMG]

4. pastrymama

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    the person on here that has a hatchery in chino told me once that there was a mill up there that mixes her feed for her. the only mill that comes to mind is "Olsens".

5. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Ok, I need a visual of that. Maybe TT could draw me a picture.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Bair Organics Seed Garlic, Inchelium Softneck Organic
    1lb$14.50

Becky, where is your drop point located at? I think Tracy is south of me and maybe it would be closer to her.

Mine is at Higley and Guadalupe.

7. Tracydr

Quote:That would be a decent option if Casa Grande doesn't work. CA, how close is that for you?

8. Tracydr

Quote:Becky, where is your drop point located at? I think Tracy is south of me and maybe it would be closer to her.

Mine is at Higley and Guadalupe.

Highley and Guadalupe is not too far for me. I'm at Lindsey and Broadway.

9. pastrymama

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Quote:That would be a decent option if Casa Grande doesn't work. CA, how close is that for you?

tracy
    i just found their website. they have their own mix of poultry feeds and they listed that they will also make you whatever kind of mix you want! they have quite a few locations in northern az, but it looks like the mill is in chino. i don't know what is in their "olsens brand" of poultry feed, but it may be worth finding out. darn, i was just up there last weekend. although, my friend that lives in cottonwood, i could ask her to go in there and take a pic of their feed tag and send it to me. that's where they shop, but she buys purina.

10. pastrymama

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Quote:Ok, I need a visual of that. Maybe TT could draw me a picture.

are you trying to get her banned again? hum, where is she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by