Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:I'm all for it!

I've a one ton crew cab long bed that'll haul anything. If an 8' bed is not long enough I have a Chevy 5500 with an 18' bed. It is harder to load but if they'll load it on pallets with a forklift it'd be fine!

We can set up a delivery route (as long as ya'll are into kicking in a few bucks for diesel (I'm not yet burning veggi oil [​IMG] )) and drop the feed on the way back. Yes Tuscon peeps - you're all good too [​IMG] .

Lemme know! I'm into it!

Edit for another series of questions...

How long will feed last?

What would be the best way to store it?

If this works out could we set up a regular run every 3 - 6 months (see first question)?

Would we get the high protein content that somebody (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) has been recommending?

Is there a drawback to too much protein?

Is there a limit on asking questions?

When am I going to get off my butt and build that silly coop?

NEWS FLASH!!! - PEEPERS MAY BE GETTING TOO BIG TO FEED BY HAND! (ever hear of "don't bite the hand that feeds you?")

I would love in on the feed if you guys get it going and it is cheaper that what I have here in NM. I also live next to a farm of feed corn and millo and maybe others. My friend has a silo (small) that I was going to try to fill for chicken feed.

Ummmm... Memphis...

New Mexico?

2. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Ok, I need a visual of that. Maybe TT could draw me a picture.

are you trying to get her banned again? hum, where is she?

No, not at all. [​IMG] I just figured she'd be the best one to draw me a visual. [​IMG] She was so good at her other ones.

3. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] I love rusty metal!
    Scorpion, Snake, flowers (silhouetted in front of the wooden mailbox post) and the giant crank in the background will be the new mailbox post.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99626_img_3087.jpg

***Edited cause I got the order mixed up***

Those metal critters are too cool!!!

I love the scorpion! Any that aren't real are great in my book.

4. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Wow, how do you get hooked up with Azure? That's a great deal on organic apples!

Very easy. Go to http://www.azurestandard.com/ . From there you can read their "Azure In A Nutshell" write-up on the left side of the home page. You call them (long distance) to get signed up which allows you to see all of their prices although you can view products before that. They have 2 drop points in Mesa that I'm aware of. The one I use is at Lindsay/McKellips and the other is at Brown/Power, if I remember correctly.

You order monthly then pick up a few days later at your drop point. Minimum order is $50 (I have no problem with that one). I like to add things to my cart throughout the month as I think of them. There are occasions when something I order is out of stock and I just place it back in my cart for the next month. They ship by refrigerated truck.

They offer lots of different produce seasonally. I was searching for apples because we've been out of applesauce for ages. They are offering in-season, juice grade organic apples at $10/20 lbs. right now. An awesome deal! No rot but they may be misshapen, scabby, or have limb rubs. No big deal to me if I can get them that cheap. If you want eating apples, they have, for example, organic Jonagolds $18/20 lbs. or in-season organic $3.25/3 lbs. Still much better than Sprouts organic prices.

If you want to make you own feed, they offer a lot of bulk items for it. I've looked into it but haven't bit the bullet.

Sorry to have gone on and on about Azure. I just can't say enough good things about them. [​IMG]

Tight - I just registered online. No need to call, they'll give you a customer number when you register & you can see the prices. Thanks for the link!

5. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Very easy. Go to http://www.azurestandard.com/ . From there you can read their "Azure In A Nutshell" write-up on the left side of the home page. You call them (long distance) to get signed up which allows you to see all of their prices although you can view products before that. They have 2 drop points in Mesa that I'm aware of. The one I use is at Lindsay/McKellips and the other is at Brown/Power, if I remember correctly.

You order monthly then pick up a few days later at your drop point. Minimum order is $50 (I have no problem with that one). I like to add things to my cart throughout the month as I think of them. There are occasions when something I order is out of stock and I just place it back in my cart for the next month. They ship by refrigerated truck.

They offer lots of different produce seasonally. I was searching for apples because we've been out of applesauce for ages. They are offering in-season, juice grade organic apples at $10/20 lbs. right now. An awesome deal! No rot but they may be misshapen, scabby, or have limb rubs. No big deal to me if I can get them that cheap. If you want eating apples, they have, for example, organic Jonagolds $18/20 lbs. or in-season organic $3.25/3 lbs. Still much better than Sprouts organic prices.

If you want to make you own feed, they offer a lot of bulk items for it. I've looked into it but haven't bit the bullet.

Sorry to have gone on and on about Azure. I just can't say enough good things about them. [​IMG]

Tight - I just registered online. No need to call, they'll give you a customer number when you register & you can see the prices. Thanks for the link!

That's cool. I couldn't do that when I first registered. I hope you all love them as much as I do. Between Azure and Sprouts, I get all of my grocery shopping done.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:are you trying to get her banned again? hum, where is she?

No, not at all. [​IMG] I just figured she'd be the best one to draw me a visual. [​IMG] She was so good at her other ones.

FREE TT! FREE TT!! FREE TT!!!

COME ON EVERYONE!!!

FREE TT!!!!!!!

7. tightwad

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:No, not at all. [​IMG] I just figured she'd be the best one to draw me a visual. [​IMG] She was so good at her other ones.

FREE TT! FREE TT!! FREE TT!!!

COME ON EVERYONE!!!

FREE TT!!!!!!!

Is she in jail again?

OK, I'm in. Free TT, Free TT, FREE TT!!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Most California/West Coast breeders use Kings.

I just took the buggy feed back to B-B, they were very friendly & took it back no problem. I picked up a bag of Nutrena starter/grower. It does not list any ash in the analysis. I looked at the Kruse and it was around 10%.

I'm really hoping to get the chickies outside tomorrow!

what is B-B?

9. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Gallo kidnapped me! He had me locked in the chicken coop. Why didn't you guys send help? [​IMG]

10. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:I just took the buggy feed back to B-B, they were very friendly & took it back no problem. I picked up a bag of Nutrena starter/grower. It does not list any ash in the analysis. I looked at the Kruse and it was around 10%.

I'm really hoping to get the chickies outside tomorrow!

what is B-B?

Idaho & Apache trail in Apache junction - 'bout 1/4 mile south of the trail on the west side. Nice folks and they seem to really be animal people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by