Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Just got back from the vet. My 14 month old SS has thrush! If it's not one thing it's another. She is on Fluconazole now. We shall see how she does this weekend. Just when everyone was well. Murphy's Law!

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks pretty good. I just hate, though, that all the poultry feeds seem to rely on crap that's literally swept off the feed mill floor, meaning wheat mill-run or wheat-mids as the first ingredients. One of the things I've found in researching meat bird feed is that meat birds fed whole wheat rather than wheat by-products have significantly less leg problems. Makes you wonder what's missing? There are a lot of vitamins in whole wheat is just ground and sits awhile, imagine what is lost when just the by-products are used, after intense processing. I realize a vitamin " package" is added back, but I often wonder if that is as good?
    Every feed has ash, I wonder why some list it and some don't?
    Here's a definition of wheat mill- run:

Wheat middlings or wheat mill run, stated by AAFCO, is coarse and fine particles of wheat bran and fine particles of wheat shorts, wheat germ, wheat flour and offal from the "tail of the mill".
    Wheat middlings is an inexpensive byproduct intermediate of human food processing, commonly referred to as floor sweepings (although such products are generally captured long before they would end up on the floor). It is an inexpensive filler in pet food and a basis for manufacturing semolina. It has 96 percent of the energy value of barley and 91 percent of the energy value of corn.[1]

3. Tracydr

Quote:How'd she get thrush? Has she been on antibiotics or something?
    More kefir!

4. Tracydr

Quote:Sure. I have no idea where I'll put another grow-out, but I'll get it figured out.
    Just have to talk the hubby into using the area behind the trees for another tractor.
    I have to find a solution for irrigation days. These chick pens are a hassle on flood days. Any suggestions?

5. Tracydr

I'm going to call and sign up for the Azure. But, I'm assuming they aren't open on Friday nights. So, can you tell me about the soft neck seed garlic? How much is it?

6. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Bair Organics Seed Garlic, Inchelium Softneck Organic
    1lb$14.50

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I have asthma & the smell of skunk actually makes me wheeze. And you can taste that horrible awful smell [​IMG] My kids think it's funny to see Mom dry heave while driving past stinky skunk [​IMG] rotten kids [​IMG]

I have asthma pretty badly, too, and if there was a TON of scent, it would affect me, but the spray on one skunk, not. I react to literally everything if there is sufficient "stuff" in the air, and especially to temperature and humidity changes (doesn't matter if they go up or down, it is the change that is the trigger).

8. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:How'd she get thrush? Has she been on antibiotics or something?
    More kefir!

We are not sure how that came about. She had a dose of Panacur almost 2 weeks ago. Dr. asked if anything has changed in the run and coop. The only thing they have been into the last week is digging up the garden and eating worms.

I read that she could have gotten from being stressed or mold on corn. They got the last of the cracked corn. I didn't see anything bad when I gave it to them? I took her in due to sneezing the past 3 days. She would sneeze 4-5 sneezes at a time and then gasp for air. Part of her comb was turning purple. I was giving her antibiotics thinking she may have a respiratory issue but her nares were clear and no bubbles or anything form the eyes. I looked in her mouth and saw yellow "blobs" on the back of her tongue and the inside of her beak. Didn't want to wait for the weekend in case she got worse. She did not have the signs as listed below.

Kefir? Is that good for the girls? Should I be giving that to them? I just want to give them anything that will keep them healthy and laying good eggs. ( The yolks are not orange anymore- not sure why.)

"A disease of the alimentary tract of chickens, turkeys, and sometimes other birds and mammals, characterised by thickening and white plaques on the mucosa, especially in the crop but sometimes in the proventriculus, intestine and cloaca, and associated with gizzard erosion.

The cause is a fungal yeast, Candida albicans and the condition is seen worldwide. Morbidity and mortality are usually low.

The route of infection is normally oral and the organism is often present in healthy animals with disease occurring secondary to stress and poor hygiene. The fungus is resistant to many disinfectants.

Signs

Dejection.
    Poor appetite.
    Slow growth.
    Diarrhoea, possibly confused or masked by signs of the primary disease."

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:king-brand.com
    http://king-brand.com/new/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=81&Itemid=6

Sunflower Pet Supply (small, independant pet store) can order Hi-Pro, OH Kruse, Nature's Grown and NutriSource poultry feeds from her regular supplier. I used to use Hi-Pro when Higley carried it (don't know if they still do or not) but one of the reasons I quit was that the last couple of bags I bought were dusty and smelled of mold, so I took them back. THe second time I returned them the owners wife yelled at me that if the bag was opened they would not take it as a return. Seriously?! Even when the entire bag is there and it smells awful? How am I supposed to know there is a problem if I don't open the bag? We've already talked about Kruse. I looked up the last two and cannot find a list of ingredients for either.

Anyways, Beth can get any of these brands through her regular supplier, but does not have space in her store to maintain a supply; you would have to pick it up soon after the truck delivers. She was going to get a list of prices for me.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I really considered it. When I priced organic bulk from my co-op it worked out to be about the same as what I pay for a bag. Someone on the Valley Permaculture Alliance (is that what they're called now?) gave me her recipe once. Am I allowed to link to that site?

I would think so; it is certainly not a competing website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by