Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Becky, which do you buy, Magill Ranch Cascade or Rogue? I've been getting the Magill Ranch because it's soy and corn free, whereas the Rogue is only soy free. I don't like the waste with the Magill Ranch though because it can be so powdery sometimes. Plus, I've never fed pellets before and don't know how large they are. How big are they? I'd hate to have my hens not eat them.

I've never had mine buggy or rancid either. I love ordering from Azure! [​IMG] Can't wait to get my order on Tuesday. I ordered 60 lbs of "juicing" apples to make applesauce. Organic and only 50¢ a pound!

Wow, how do you get hooked up with Azure? That's a great deal on organic apples!

2. Tracydr

Quote:Yeah, I hope they're all hens![​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Tracydr

Quote:Ok, so scratch the Kruse idea for me. I'll stop and see if they have soy, wheat and scratch cheaper than Highley. I need some molasses and oyster shell, too. For that price, I'll keep mixing my own. At least they aren't getting 18% crappola!

4. Tracydr

Quote:Please let me know if this is the plan. I'm running low and am going to take the 20#'s back to B-B today. I have a 50# bag from Higley that I bought and then discovered it was medicated. Do you plan on getting the inexpensive non-orgagnic Kruse?

I just read the ash posts. This feed thing is getting really complex. It seems from the tone of some of the posts like corn is no good as well?

***eddited cause I can't spel***

No, I don't like the ash content, either. I'm going to keep mixing my own and using flock raiser for the smallest batch. I can swing by and pick up something for you if you want. I may see if they have what I'm using for less.

5. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:Ok, so scratch the Kruse idea for me. I'll stop and see if they have soy, wheat and scratch cheaper than Highley. I need some molasses and oyster shell, too. For that price, I'll keep mixing my own. At least they aren't getting 18% crappola!

If you're not giving away a century old family heirloom recipe that's been handed down since the 1500's- may I ask what you put in your feed & what quantities? I have the space & capability to mix my own...but the sheer volume of recipes online is overwhelming.

Thanks!!!

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Yeah, I hope they're all hens![​IMG] [​IMG]

I will cross my fingers for you [​IMG] 3 out with 2 pipping....

7. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    so i found king feed (called integra in az) at the stock shop. they have layer pellets 50# for $18.99. seems steep but that's the same price as purina and close to manna pro! going to look up ingredients now.

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Adorable!! [​IMG]

9. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Here are the ingredients for the King feed at stock shop. Notice, NO ASH.

PRO-AM
    POULTRY LAYER PELLETS
    Crude Fiber, not more than............................…………....6.5%
    Calcium, not less than..................................………….....2.8%
    Calcium, not more than.................................…………....3.2%
    Phosphorus, not less than...........................………….....0.7%
    Sodium, not more than..............................…………........0.3%
    Lysine, not less than..……………………..……….………0.80%
    Methionine & Cystine, not less than……....……….......0.65%
    Copper, not less than..………….………….………........14 PPM
    Zinc, not less than..........................………..…….……..100 PPM
    Added Selenium, not less than...........………..……....0.28 PPM
    Vitamin A, not less than..................……....…………4000 IU/LB
    Vitamin D, not less than..................………..…………750 IU/LB
    Vitamin E, not less than.........…………..……….………25 IU/LB
    Metabolizable Energy, not less than......……....1230 KCAL/LB
    Phosphate, l-Lysine Hydrochloride, d-l Methionine, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Direct Fed
    Microorganisms (Heat Stable cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, Bifidobacterium
    bifidium, Enterococcus faecium and Aspergillus oryzae), Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried
    Saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, Hydrated Calcium-Sodium Aluminosilicate, Yucca
    Schidigera Whole Plant Powder, Betaine, Selenium Yeast, Zinc Methionine Complex, Manganese
    Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Niacin Supplement,
    Tocopherols, Natural Flavoring, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A
    Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin
    Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B-12
    Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Tribasic Copper Chloride, Ethylene
    Diamine Dihydroiodide, Sodium Selenite.

10. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Becky, which do you buy, Magill Ranch Cascade or Rogue? I've been getting the Magill Ranch because it's soy and corn free, whereas the Rogue is only soy free. I don't like the waste with the Magill Ranch though because it can be so powdery sometimes. Plus, I've never fed pellets before and don't know how large they are. How big are they? I'd hate to have my hens not eat them.

I've never had mine buggy or rancid either. I love ordering from Azure! [​IMG] Can't wait to get my order on Tuesday. I ordered 60 lbs of "juicing" apples to make applesauce. Organic and only 50¢ a pound!

Wow, how do you get hooked up with Azure? That's a great deal on organic apples!

Very easy. Go to http://www.azurestandard.com/ . From there you can read their "Azure In A Nutshell" write-up on the left side of the home page. You call them (long distance) to get signed up which allows you to see all of their prices although you can view products before that. They have 2 drop points in Mesa that I'm aware of. The one I use is at Lindsay/McKellips and the other is at Brown/Power, if I remember correctly.

You order monthly then pick up a few days later at your drop point. Minimum order is $50 (I have no problem with that one). I like to add things to my cart throughout the month as I think of them. There are occasions when something I order is out of stock and I just place it back in my cart for the next month. They ship by refrigerated truck.

They offer lots of different produce seasonally. I was searching for apples because we've been out of applesauce for ages. They are offering in-season, juice grade organic apples at $10/20 lbs. right now. An awesome deal! No rot but they may be misshapen, scabby, or have limb rubs. No big deal to me if I can get them that cheap. If you want eating apples, they have, for example, organic Jonagolds $18/20 lbs. or in-season organic $3.25/3 lbs. Still much better than Sprouts organic prices.

If you want to make you own feed, they offer a lot of bulk items for it. I've looked into it but haven't bit the bullet.

Sorry to have gone on and on about Azure. I just can't say enough good things about them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by