Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:I have asthma & the smell of skunk actually makes me wheeze. And you can taste that horrible awful smell [​IMG] My kids think it's funny to see Mom dry heave while driving past stinky skunk [​IMG] rotten kids [​IMG]

2. mclevinson

mclevinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Shhhhhh! If feed mfgs hear about this it'll be all over. (insert paranoid smiley).

3. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Chicken pics in a welding class!? Can I see your lesson plan, sir? ([​IMG])

It was between classes, silly!

But yes by all means come on down and I'll show 'em to ya!

4. mclevinson

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:I've never really understood why skunk is supposed to smell bad. I do smell it, I just don't dislike the odor. Stinky dog or cat poop are much more offensive. Add in rotten egg that the dog likes to find and roll in [​IMG]

You can have any that comes my way. I think smell is just like color. What color I see is probably not precisely the color everyone else sees. Perfumery is an amazing example of this. I gag and get sick if someone drenched in Old Copenhagen comes near me.

5. mclevinson

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:You can try Tempe Feed. I know they have organic; it's Nutrena (used to be Arizona Feeds). Can't tell you whether it is buggy or not, though. There's also an Ace Hardware in Queen Creek or SanTan that carries Purina and supposedly stores it in air conditioning/refrigerator, and it's supposedly not buggy as a result.

I was hoping for a local store but if I have to travel a bit to get good stuff for the peepers, so be it. Being a Noob I'm not familiar with trends. Is the difficulty we are experiencing finding feed common?

or

Is this a fluke and it's always been pretty easy.

I'm almost on the Tracydr bandwagon and am willing to mix up a bulk batch with you folk!

How bout it Tracy? What will it acutally take to make our own feed?

I've got a huge truck & trailer & can help in any way. Do we need a mechanical mixer or a grinder or storage silos? Drums for transport & storage? Maybe those 275 gallon storage tanks? [​IMG]

Control Tower in authoraitve police voice, "Step away from the project!" [​IMG]

Well, hey...Hmmmmm. If I can get input from everybody on what their needs are, we can maybe get bulk orders (I'd have to start another company) from a good source and kinda have our own co-op. How easy is that?

6. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Does anyone here already mix their own chicken feed? In the last half hour I found a ton of "recipes" for chicken feed. In my mind (inexperienced in this regard) it doesn't seem as though it would be that difficult to just make it myself...am I bat-crap crazy??? [​IMG]

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    In general, I'm not a big fan of the odor of Mustelidae. I'm alright with skunks, but I'm not fond at all of ferrets and weasels. River otters make me want to gag. I don't think I like any cologne or perfume.

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Cold snap up here got my broody to get up off her nest [​IMG] but I'm trying to get her back on. What is with the weather this year?

9. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:It will probably be summer again tomorrow.
    I don't know how to get her back on, except if it's cold, hang a heat lamp over her nest!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great idea! I used to get my hay and horse feed there when I lived by Desert Ridge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by