Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:You can try Tempe Feed. I know they have organic; it's Nutrena (used to be Arizona Feeds). Can't tell you whether it is buggy or not, though. There's also an Ace Hardware in Queen Creek or SanTan that carries Purina and supposedly stores it in air conditioning/refrigerator, and it's supposedly not buggy as a result.

I was hoping for a local store but if I have to travel a bit to get good stuff for the peepers, so be it. Being a Noob I'm not familiar with trends. Is the difficulty we are experiencing finding feed common?

or

Is this a fluke and it's always been pretty easy.

I'm almost on the Tracydr bandwagon and am willing to mix up a bulk batch with you folk!

How bout it Tracy? What will it acutally take to make our own feed?

I've got a huge truck & trailer & can help in any way. Do we need a mechanical mixer or a grinder or storage silos? Drums for transport & storage? Maybe those 275 gallon storage tanks? [​IMG]

Control Tower in authoraitve police voice, "Step away from the project!" [​IMG]

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Here are two of the new kids and 2 green eggs are pipping.... Looking good so far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Please let me know if this is the plan. I'm running low and am going to take the 20#'s back to B-B today. I have a 50# bag from Higley that I bought and then discovered it was medicated. Do you plan on getting the inexpensive non-orgagnic Kruse?

I just read the ash posts. This feed thing is getting really comples. It seems from the tone of some of the posts like corn is no good as well?

I personally don't understand the corn thing - my Gramma's chickens got cracked corn every day.

Now this food brand business is a bit frustrating. [​IMG] As a kid at Gramma's farm, I never saw chicken feed in a bag. Grampa always went to the mill & came back with a pickup full of it. Him & my gramma would shovel it into the silo. So, I am in new territory here. I don't think that there is a mill way down south here or I'd attempt to buy from them. The only feed store down here that is actually helpful, carries the Kruse brand for a decent price so I switched to that (from the stuff DH picked up from WallyWorld). I read a bit about ash in pet food - it's mineral & stuff...don't they need that? I can't let my chickens free range all day because I'm gone all day...and I live in the middle of the desert.

Can anyone on here give the real deal on this feed brand / ash / corn / soy issue?

Corn is less expensive than more nutritious ingredients. In a way, it's a lot like the comments on ash. Adds bulk at low cost. A little corn is fine, too much is not a good thing. Not all that different than making the bulk of your family's diet white bread. If you have white birds, too much yellow corn (the least expensive kind) will discolour them.

You can feed wheat straight to the birds. I add it to gamebird (alond with oats, barley, sunflower and safflower seeds & calf manna. It lowers protein, but is a lot more nutritious than corn. I don't have any comments on the non-human grade, though. I'd have to know more and maybe take a look at the actual product.

edited to add: A lot of folks dislike soy products. It contains a lot of estrogen, so it's not so good if you want to breed your birds and hatch chicks--it lowers fertility. THere are also a lot of health concerns about soy.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. ca

ca Songster

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:Chicken pics in a welding class!? Can I see your lesson plan, sir? ([​IMG])

5. Fuzzybird

Fuzzybird Songster

Sonoran, I read that silkies should be kept on a growth food all through their life. Is this true? What do you feed the adults? I emailed you please respond. I love my fuzzy birds!![​IMG]

6. ca

ca Songster

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Gallo and Sonoran, I envy your skunk tolerance. I don¬ít like the smell at all and can tell you when there is a skunk in Congress or Morristown while I am in WB. [​IMG]

Mikey, I threw some mealworms to my 2.5 week olds (Mahonri's chicks). Now I know what it looked like when you fed the cheese. They went completely bananas.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:You can try Tempe Feed. I know they have organic; it's Nutrena (used to be Arizona Feeds). Can't tell you whether it is buggy or not, though. There's also an Ace Hardware in Queen Creek or SanTan that carries Purina and supposedly stores it in air conditioning/refrigerator, and it's supposedly not buggy as a result.

I was hoping for a local store but if I have to travel a bit to get good stuff for the peepers, so be it. Being a Noob I'm not familiar with trends. Is the difficulty we are experiencing finding feed common?

or

Is this a fluke and it's always been pretty easy.

I'm almost on the Tracydr bandwagon and am willing to mix up a bulk batch with you folk!

How bout it Tracy? What will it acutally take to make our own feed?

I've got a huge truck & trailer & can help in any way. Do we need a mechanical mixer or a grinder or storage silos? Drums for transport & storage? Maybe those 275 gallon storage tanks? [​IMG]

Control Tower in authoraitve police voice, "Step away from the project!" [​IMG]

There are actually more brands available now than there used to be. Quality varies over the course of the year with summer being the worst. Many of the feed mills will make a custom ground feed, and will work with you on making sure it meets nutritional needs. However, there is a minimum order that is something like a ton (that could have changed, so I could be way off and it could be double or half that).

King feeds is excellent, and Higley tried carrying it, but it wasn't selling, so they have discontinued. Kind of a bummer, but they never advertised that they had it in stock or kept it listed on the boards or made any sort of big deal about why it is so much better. I bought a bag of their stress formula and was very disappointed to find it really buggy.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:There are studies that suggest that. I do not have a specific fixed diet, but alternate between Manna Pro products based upon their price alterations. Babies get medicated starter, and I rarely add anything. Other than that I use waterfowl feed, turkey/gamebird starter and occasionally egg layer or trip-l-duty. I sometimes add calf manna, wheat, oats, rice, barley, sunflower & safflower seeds. I've also added pigeon feed instead of the grains and seeds, as it already has those, plus a few more.

9. Fuzzybird

Fuzzybird Songster

I also kind of like the smell of skunk if it is light. I love to own a ferret but my husband can't tollerate the smell of them even when they are just washed! I love the ferret smell! [​IMG]

10. ca

ca Songster

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Did I mention that I finished the electric fence last Sunday? It's a low impedence fence which should work well here in the dry desert. Now I am waiting for the coyotes! [​IMG] I should install a game cam. Muahahahaha!
    DH had to try it out. I wish he would have done it before going to the barber [​IMG]. It works!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by