Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Higley feeds has Kruse organic for $25 for a 50 lb bag. I thought it was way less than that - to make matters worse, they're out! They're going to call me back and see if their house brand is unmedicated. The lady said they go back and forth on it.

Where do I get unmedicated chick starter?

Regular, non-organic will be a lot less. I've never seen any organic feed for less than $25 unless it is for a much smaller bag. FWIW, organic prices don;t seem to have gone up as much as regular in the last year.

Quote:
LOL, thanks! I don't know what I was thinking when I was typing where Higley Feed is!

I didn't like Aden's Hay Oasis because the time I went, all of their chicks had severe pasty butt (over an inch of poop on their butts, really obvious) and some were dead, with some decomposed bodies on lower trays that had never been cleaned up. I know it was just one visit at Aden's, but Higley Feed has had clean, healthy chicks every time I've seen them (probably 10 times).

I've never paid that much attention to the birds at Aden's, but they seem to keep their feed in a bit better conditions than Higley. I've had good and bad experiences with both, but not over birds.

Quote:
I've never really understood why skunk is supposed to smell bad. I do smell it, I just don't dislike the odor. Stinky dog or cat poop are much more offensive. Add in rotten egg that the dog likes to find and roll in
sickbyc.gif

ca, thanks for the explanation, that's what I thought, but I wasn't really sure.

AZBootsie, and anyone else that posts pics, I always ooh and ahh, even though I don't always post it! Those two are extra cute too!

mclevinson, your birds could be famous too! Get 'em in acting lessons right away!

azpenquin, it's miraculous, isn't it?

Sonoran Silkies, in my case, you are correct. My organic has only gone up from about $29/50lbs to $31 in the past year (although I haven't bought any in a while).

Quote:
DD in WB orders Purina products for me now and they said that as long as you call and put in an order it will be on the truck, due in next week I think. I am trying the 60 day challenge since I have the coupons....

can i comment on that purina challenge? i did it over the late spring and into the summer, switched from manna pro to purina and all of a sudden within a few weeks, NO EGGS!!!!!! yes, it was hot out but these were not new layers. put them back on manna pro after the challenge and the new layers started to lay.

Hmmmmmm, that is not what I want to see
hmm.png
But going to give it a go and will give a good honest report of what happens with our flocks. Did you change feeds by mixing the old feed with the new feed first? Or just put them on it straight? Was it pellet or ?

Sorry about all the questions....
big_smile.png

Quote:
You can try Tempe Feed. I know they have organic; it's Nutrena (used to be Arizona Feeds). Can't tell you whether it is buggy or not, though. There's also an Ace Hardware in Queen Creek or SanTan that carries Purina and supposedly stores it in air conditioning/refrigerator, and it's supposedly not buggy as a result.

Quote:
I only tried the non-organic. If you use organic that might explain it.
big_smile.png
. Maybe your chickens can get a gig on a Kruse comercial?
lau.gif
?

Yes! That's IT! Their income can pay for lawyers to sue my HOA!!! And they work for chickenfeed...
lau.gif
I crack me up.

lau.gif

Now there's A plan!

gig.gif

Quote:
But if Kruse is crapola, why did my 4 hens give me 3 eggs a day through sucky hot summer?

dunno?? Meg Moringa seed need to get more planting done and next year we can just feed all of our chooks moringa leaves!!

OK- a bit bummed now. I posted baby pics and NO one ohh'ed and ahh'ed. So here is another broody/baby fix:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/71564_dsc02326.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/71564_dsc02323.jpg

I ooooed and ahhhhed both! You just couldn't hear if cause you're in Congress & I'm in east Mesa!
wink.png

My students thought your chicks were cute too!
cool.png

Quote:
I only tried the non-organic. If you use organic that might explain it.
big_smile.png
. Maybe your chickens can get a gig on a Kruse comercial?
lau.gif
?

Yes! That's IT! Their income can pay for lawyers to sue my HOA!!! And they work for chickenfeed...
lau.gif
I crack me up.

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
you are correct. it is not organic feed. their organic prices are the same as the ones you quoted. if i WERE to buy organic, it would be soy free, corn free. it's the same price, just needs to be trucked in from oregon. however, i just have too many birds to worry about feeding them organic feed.

That's still about $3.00 a bag better, maybe more, then almost anything I've seen around here. Everything on this side of town is in the $17.00 and up range. Purina seems to be the brand of choice. It would seem, with all these feed stores that they would want to offer a few different brands?

You would think so, but to be cost effective, they need to order at least a certain amount. If they do not have enough poultry feed sales to support selling the contents out pretty close to the arrival time of the next shipment, it makes carrying multiple brands too expensive, and much would likely go to waste.

Ideally, a store would carry mutiple brands and always have what you want in stock. THe reality is that the markup on feed is very small, and it is very easy to lose money.

Back
Top Bottom