Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Nobody here in WB has Purina. I buy Purina if I "accidentaly" pass by a feed store that carries it. Otherwise I feed Nutrena. Chickens are ok with it and lay ok. But the price has gone up substantially lately! I am still contemplating finding a feed mill and bying bulk with other BYC members...

As far as the ash goes:
Seller version (or what the benevolent customer would think): ash is added for "mineral" content.
Business version (or what the sceptical customer would think): ash is added because it adds bulk without cost.

DD in WB orders Purina products for me now and they said that as long as you call and put in an order it will be on the truck, due in next week I think. I am trying the 60 day challenge since I have the coupons....

Last edited:
Quote:
Congrats!
wee.gif

How are the rest doing?
jumpy.gif

At work now, none were really due until tomorrow so these 2 were early birds and so far happy and fuzzy. Should see more action today if the rest decide early is better also and will update.

Quote:
Please let me know if this is the plan. I'm running low and am going to take the 20#'s back to B-B today. I have a 50# bag from Higley that I bought and then discovered it was medicated. Do you plan on getting the inexpensive non-orgagnic Kruse?

I just read the ash posts. This feed thing is getting really complex. It seems from the tone of some of the posts like corn is no good as well?

***eddited cause I can't spel***

Last edited:
Quote:
Nobody here in WB has Purina. I buy Purina if I "accidentaly" pass by a feed store that carries it. Otherwise I feed Nutrena. Chickens are ok with it and lay ok. But the price has gone up substantially lately! I am still contemplating finding a feed mill and bying bulk with other BYC members...

As far as the ash goes:
Seller version (or what the benevolent customer would think): ash is added for "mineral" content.
Business version (or what the sceptical customer would think): ash is added because it adds bulk without cost.

DD in WB orders Purina products for me now and they said that as long as you call and put in an order it will be on the truck, due in next week I think. I am trying the 60 day challenge since I have the coupons....

can i comment on that purina challenge? i did it over the late spring and into the summer, switched from manna pro to purina and all of a sudden within a few weeks, NO EGGS!!!!!! yes, it was hot out but these were not new layers. put them back on manna pro after the challenge and the new layers started to lay.

Quote:
Please let me know if this is the plan. I'm running low and am going to take the 20#'s back to B-B today. I have a 50# bag from Higley that I bought and then discovered it was medicated. Do you plan on getting the inexpensive non-orgagnic Kruse?

I just read the ash posts. This feed thing is getting really comples. It seems from the tone of some of the posts like corn is no good as well?

I personally don't understand the corn thing - my Gramma's chickens got cracked corn every day.

Now this food brand business is a bit frustrating.
rant.gif
As a kid at Gramma's farm, I never saw chicken feed in a bag. Grampa always went to the mill & came back with a pickup full of it. Him & my gramma would shovel it into the silo. So, I am in new territory here. I don't think that there is a mill way down south here or I'd attempt to buy from them. The only feed store down here that is actually helpful, carries the Kruse brand for a decent price so I switched to that (from the stuff DH picked up from WallyWorld). I read a bit about ash in pet food - it's mineral & stuff...don't they need that? I can't let my chickens free range all day because I'm gone all day...and I live in the middle of the desert.

Can anyone on here give the real deal on this feed brand / ash / corn / soy issue?

Quote:

I just read the ash posts. This feed thing is getting really comples. It seems from the tone of some of the posts like corn is no good as well?

sorry mikey, but i am getting just as confused as you. what i DO know? i like manna pro, there appears to be only one feed store in the metropolitan area that carries it and it sucks. it is getting expensive too, was $37 for 100 pounds about 3 weeks ago. however, it does make them lay.

Quote:

As far as the ash goes:

Having computer issues, hopefully this isn't a double post.

OK at 3% i will buy the added mineral explanation but at 18% seems wrong. And if you consider the extra 15% a waste as Ca pointed out....there isn't really much savings by buying Kruse. Too bad, because the calcium, vitamins and protein %s look really good. It will take my chickens a little more than 3 weeks to eat this 200lbs of Kruse and it will probably be my first and only purchase.

Mixing your own is certianly the smartest way to go, both nutritionally and financially. I don't want to. I am lazy, no motivation to do all the research and learning, excessive thinking makes my head hurt and I would have to figure out storage for extra grains. Maybe eventually my attitude will improve.

Purina is really playing up the added marigold blossom in their new feed. My garden is full of marigolds for pest control. Is a pest control kind of companion plant really good for chooks?? Gonna look that up. If so, I will pick the spent blossoms for them.

I'm really confused!
I've never heard of half these brands or the places you are getting them. lol...

Mike,
It's my understanding that corn is just a cheap filler in any pet food. Not alot of nutritional value.

Also I read recently it should be limited in the summer because it will cause chickens to over heat.

It's used alot for cattle and such in the winter to help keep them warm and weight up.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong!

Quote:

I don't know about everyone else's reason for not liking corn or soy, but they are both mostly GMO (genetically modified organism) crops. They are engineered to tolerate huge amounts of Roundup without dying. The Roundup is stored in the plant, so when you eat it, it is now in you (or your chicken eggs / meat). Some GMO crops are engineered to produce pesticidal proteins within the plant ... so you are eating that pesticide too when you eat the plant. It is also in milk from cows that eat the plants.

Some of the most common GMO products are conola oil, soy, corn, cotton seed oil, sugar from beets, Hawaiian papaya, some zucchini, and crookneck squash.

Organic feed should not have any GMO crop grains in it. The bad thing is, if the organic crops are close enough to the GMO crops they can cross pollinate, and become GMO crops.

Back
Top Bottom