Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:Becky, which do you buy, Magill Ranch Cascade or Rogue? I've been getting the Magill Ranch because it's soy and corn free, whereas the Rogue is only soy free. I don't like the waste with the Magill Ranch though because it can be so powdery sometimes. Plus, I've never fed pellets before and don't know how large they are. How big are they? I'd hate to have my hens not eat them.

I've never had mine buggy or rancid either. I love ordering from Azure! [​IMG] Can't wait to get my order on Tuesday. I ordered 60 lbs of "juicing" apples to make applesauce. Organic and only 50ยข a pound!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Fuzzy butts hatching... 2 during the nigt and 10 more to go [​IMG]

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

How sweet! [​IMG]
    Congrats!! Pictures later please!

[​IMG]

4. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    tracy
    when you come up next thursday to drop off the oegb for my friend, you can hit c&h hay barn for you and mikey, then take the 51 home! i have to go today, so i will do a quality control on the feed and see what else they have.

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

How sweet! [​IMG]
    Congrats!! Pictures later please!

[​IMG]

Will do.....

6. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    um meg, i had the parrot feathers and then i didn't have the parrot feathers. they were in a pile of stuff on my counter and now the pile is gone. i think it grew wings and flew away [​IMG] otherwise, i just don't know [​IMG] sorry friend

7. mclevinson

mclevinson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:Ahhhh maaaaann.
    On the bright side, you want to have another go at applesauce? You can come over here...

8. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:I just saw last night that Azure has organic, chicken wheat for $14.20/50 lbs. Here's their description:

This is screenings on wheat with too poor quality for human consumption, but great for chickens!
    Whole grains hard red and hard white.

What would I use this for other than if I made my own feed? Treats only? And. . .would I even want to feed it to them if it's "too poor quality for human consumption"? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  9. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:18.8% basically means that a fifth of your bag is ash. That means 10 pounds of a 50 pound bag is ash! Or that for every $5 you pay nearly $1 goes into ash. Ash is pretty useless as far as nutrition goes.
    Just make it an experiment. Watch if the feeding habits of your chickens change (e.g. they seem to eat less suddenly) and if the egg count changes. Those would be interesting observations and good to know for future feed purchases.

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    ca, that is crazy about the ash content! My Modesto Milling organic layer has a max of 3%, which I thought was a lot. What is the rationale behind them putting ash into the feed in the first place? Anyone?

tightwad, maybe you could sprout the wheat. I remember doing this as a kid for our chickens in the winter (far north) and the chickens just loved it. Here is a thread that discusses it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425134&p=1

southerndesert, good luck with the rest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by