Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. pastrymama

pastrymama Songster

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Bob and the super full henhouse
    thankyou for the offer! the fireman has since been dismantling this ginormous coop, taking the roof off, the wooded slats, etc. and he thinks that a few more guys his size will be able to lift it over no problem now. Plus, he took a saw and cut part of it off. It was 6 feet wide x 10 feet long x 8 feet high. it's not as long now, maybe 6x6x8.

duck eggs duck eggs??????? i need to make a cake for the twins soon if you need to get rid of some extras.......... [​IMG]

2. Quote:Could it be that it's not their organic feed? I saw that they make both.

you are correct. it is not organic feed. their organic prices are the same as the ones you quoted. if i WERE to buy organic, it would be soy free, corn free. it's the same price, just needs to be trucked in from oregon. however, i just have too many birds to worry about feeding them organic feed.

That's still about $3.00 a bag better, maybe more, then almost anything I've seen around here. Everything on this side of town is in the $17.00 and up range. Purina seems to be the brand of choice. It would seem, with all these feed stores that they would want to offer a few different brands?

3. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Songster

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    Quote:Wow, sorry to hear that, silver lining might be that it didn't happen when you were out of town. This reminds me, I was suppose to change out my old neighbors supply line but never did ( weird size ) but now that the land lords moved back in ( the ones we don't like) it's their problem.[​IMG]

4. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Songster

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow, sorry to hear that, silver lining might be that it didn't happen when you were out of town. This reminds me, I was suppose to change out my old neighbors supply line but never did ( weird size ) but now that the land lords moved back in ( the ones we don't like) it's their problem.[​IMG]

We actually turn the water off to the toilets when we go out of town, but yeah, I'm glad I was home! At least I saved the wood floor.

I order feed from Azure Standard. It's always been good, never buggy or rancid.

5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Songster

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:
    If you are still looking for info on O H Kruse, here is a tag I scanned,,,,,hope you can read it. If not let me know and I can type it out if you need.
    [​IMG]

I hope my chickens will eat this, because I bought 3 weeks worth the other day. Though I have never really seen my chickens being picky.

6. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Wowsers! Higley wants $24 for the Kruse pellets. We are talking a 50 lb bag right? The told me $25 for the Kruse starter. I didn't know there was such a big discrepancy in prices place to place

Holy, moly! I thought we were getting ripped off on this end of town but that's crazy! Maybe we need to make a bulk run. My parents live up that way. I could get feed when I visit. What do you think, Mikey?

I"m really good with that idea! Lemme know & I'll get you the $

7. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Could it be that it's not their organic feed? I saw that they make both.

you are correct. it is not organic feed. their organic prices are the same as the ones you quoted. if i WERE to buy organic, it would be soy free, corn free. it's the same price, just needs to be trucked in from oregon. however, i just have too many birds to worry about feeding them organic feed.

I guess I'm not that hung up on the organic part - It'd be nice but I'd really like to avoid the medicated stuff.

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Songster

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Kinda caught up.

Hello to all of you new people!! [​IMG]

Mikey your chicks are huge!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] When are you eating your CornishXs??
    Have you got the processing figured out yet?? You could weld something....a killing cone??

SouthernDesert and Beckyhsinglsc. I am not sure who I feel worse for. Sorry, you both had such exciting days. Becky, if the damage is more than your deductable you should call your insurance co. Carpet might take a long time to dry in this humidity.

Those poor Bald Chickens!!! I read an article about a charity group in England that knits sweaters for Bald rescued chickens. [​IMG] Knitting isn't for me....but I would be willing to try and make them something out of t-shirt knit, fleece or jersy?? The ones I read about had kind of a cowl neckline and they slipped over the head, with the sides out for wings. I am surprised they aren't sunburnt. I hope it doesn't take 6 months for the feathers to grow back. If they had been picking feathers, wouldn't you see skin tears and sores?? Those poor babies. I am glad you saved them.

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Songster

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Tball-

About the craigs list feed. The lady said she didn't spray the bugs because the feed was organic?? Does that mean if it was regular feed, she would have sprayed insecticide??

That is pretty scary. Not sure if it is better to have buggy feed that you know hasn't been sprayed or bug free feed that you worry about??

On the Kruse feed, No bugs in mine. I bought pellets so can't really say that it looks any different than the pellets I usually buy. The label did say it has a max of 18.8% ash. Is that a lot?? I don't have any other brands of tags here now to compare it to.

10. Mikey D

Mikey D Songster

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Bootsie - I've not got the processing figured out yet. [​IMG]

Tracy said if I pluck em she'll gut em.

Killing cone is easy but sounds really terrible. [​IMG]

Gonna build a plucker![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by