Arizona Chickens

I usually leave spiders alone, but I'm starting a daycare and getting the chickens. My outside toys get covered with black widows in no time. I'm trying to keep things "green" so as not to make the kids or chickens sick. I'm going to try the Orange Oil.

That's a good reason to rid them. I'd spray them up in their retreats with Orange Guard, remove the webs the next day with a stick in order to gather up all the silk and then check again in a couple days. By gathering up the silk you'll be able to know which ones survived the first spray--any new silk means survivors--and you'll be more likely to collect up any surviving egg sacs. A strong shop-vac also works well at pulling them out.

Have you ever been to the Second Street School? It's at 2nd and Tucson Blvd. My daughter went to day care/preschool there. While it is an absolutely amazing place for many reasons, her very favorite part was the chickens they raised. Because of that, I had to answer the question, "When are we getting chickens, Dad?" for years. It makes me wonder if those kids that went through there will be more likely to raise chickens as adults.

Quote:
yesss.gif
At least someone around town is getting it! For now, I'll just think about how lovely that gentle rain must be. Enjoy!

Mikey, I feed my cat "Nine Llives" cat food from a can.. At the end of the day, when it is gettng dry, I scrape out the bowl, and give it to the hens..They love it.. I've been doing this for a number of years with no problems that I can see.. It does seem to help my OLD ladies... Will
Thanks for the confirmation Will.

My gals should be in their prime - around 9-10 months old but a few (don't know who) have been slacking -

We are back up to about 5 eggs a day (from 7 cluckers) they had taken a break for a couple of weeks when it first got hot.

Do you think kibble would be OK as a treat - they have been getting movie theater popcorn for a while now.

i just rehomed my last 2 laying hens this morning. one of my muscovy drakes kept biting them on their heads and necks and holding them down. he had one pinned on the ground this morning, i could hear her from the kitchen. poor thing. i put up an ad and they were gone within about two hours. i figured it would be easier to rehome laying hens than a mean drake. for some reason he has left the 5 basque pullets alone and he can't get to the silkies since they are in their own coop. i just don't get it. and now, no more eggs until the basque start laying.
sad.png

bootsie, haven't candled yet. the light i use is attached to the fireman's mountain bike and i dunno how to detach it.
hu.gif
Sad days at the pastry house-hold - no more cluckers...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom