Arizona Chickens

That's a good reason to rid them. I'd spray them up in their retreats with Orange Guard, remove the webs the next day with a stick in order to gather up all the silk and then check again in a couple days. By gathering up the silk you'll be able to know which ones survived the first spray--any new silk means survivors--and you'll be more likely to collect up any surviving egg sacs. A strong shop-vac also works well at pulling them out.

Have you ever been to the Second Street School? It's at 2nd and Tucson Blvd. My daughter went to day care/preschool there. While it is an absolutely amazing place for many reasons, her very favorite part was the chickens they raised. Because of that, I had to answer the question, "When are we getting chickens, Dad?" for years. It makes me wonder if those kids that went through there will be more likely to raise chickens as adults.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pull the shop vac out this week. I have heard of Second Street School. On of my friends was going to send her kids there. I had a daycare for about 10 years. We had pygmy goats and rabbits because my kids were in 4H. The daycare kids LOVED the animals. I think that's what sold their parents too. During the County Fair, we spent more time at the fair grounds than at the daycare. I can't wait to get started again, with kids and animals.

Mikey, I give my flocks a couple hand fulls of dried cat food during molt for a little protein boost. Make sure you get a pretty small kibble. Doing the Heimlich on a choking chook doesn't sound like fun. The nutrition threads here warn that it can be too high in sodium. So, probably not good to use it on a regular basis.

Mycoplasmas can slow down egg production.
Yeah well that too...
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom