Arizona Chickens

Anyone out there this Christmas Eve? With bulging crops, my girls are stealing down for a good nights sleep, my dog is curled up fast a sleep, I have a cup of spice tea, wondering what I am going to ware tomorrow for Christmas feast. And you?

Marry Christmas

Last edited:
Hu
Anyone out there this Christmas Eve? With bulging crops, my girls are stealing down for a good nights sleep, my dog is curled up fast a sleep, I have a cup of spice tea, wondering what I am going to ware tomorrow for Christmas feast. And you
hubby works. Kids are with grandparents.. I'm just hanging out here with the girls in the front yard. Come on by

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

Just wanted to get a little advise..... we have our very first broody hen.  I picked up a dozen fertile Trader Joe's eggs and put under her yesterday.  I have no idea if this will work but was wondering what to do now...... what should I be checking (and or doing)?  I know that chances of the eggs hatching aren't that great but I figured it would be fun to try.  We have never hatched eggs before so I feel pretty lost at this point.

Any advise would be appreciated!!

I would wait 7-10 days and candle. Otherwise, there's nothing to do if she's happy siting on them. I also keep broodys separate from the flock...the other hens will try to lay their eggs on her nest and might break the eggs. Also, if she's separated now, you won't have to do it later when the eggs hatch. She'll get off the nest only a couple of times to eat and poo...and boy, will she poo. No one warned me about broody poo...consider yourself warned! Good luck!

My boyfriend built me a beautiful brooder out in my empty barn stall (heh - maybe so I can't fill it with another horse!) and I found this guy checking out my peeps tonight. Its fully enclosed and has a top but still scary. I don't really know what to do to repel them, do those fake owls work?

Anyone out there this Christmas Eve? With bulging crops, my girls are stealing down for a good nights sleep, my dog is curled up fast a sleep, I have a cup of spice tea, wondering what I am going to ware tomorrow for Christmas feast. And you?
Marry Christmas
Merry Christmas to you too (and everyone else here!)

It does not feel so much like Christmas when your on a farm. I was out buying chicken waterers today instead of presents and even picked up some chicks from beehappy4ever again. I was so pleased with the size of the chicks I had to have more! My other Marans are not as big as the ones I got from her and are older, I can't wait to see them grown up. I got a very pretty white chick too that lays blue eggs, I'm excited for that. Horses will still need their stalls cleaned in the morning and turned out. As much as I like the family Christmassy things I like living in my own little world that excludes the hustle and bustle. Its going to be a nice quiet day for me and the animals tomorrow :)

My boyfriend built me a beautiful brooder out in my empty barn stall (heh - maybe so I can't fill it with another horse!) and I found this guy checking out my peeps tonight. Its fully enclosed and has a top but still scary. I don't really know what to do to repel them, do those fake owls work?
No, they don't, only a very short time. I wish I knew, before I had chickens, I was able to enjoy their wonder. Now, I look at them with a different eye when it comes to my girls. I really wish I could at lest through out a suggestion or food for thought. I do not know wear owls even stand on intelligence in the bird world.

Marry Christmas

Merry Christmas to you too (and everyone else here!)

It does not feel so much like Christmas when your on a farm. I was out buying chicken waterers today instead of presents and even picked up some chicks from beehappy4ever again. I was so pleased with the size of the chicks I had to have more! My other Marans are not as big as the ones I got from her and are older, I can't wait to see them grown up. I got a very pretty white chick too that lays blue eggs, I'm excited for that. Horses will still need their stalls cleaned in the morning and turned out. As much as I like the family Christmassy things I like living in my own little world that excludes the hustle and bustle. Its going to be a nice quiet day for me and the animals tomorrow :)

Sound wonderful, enjoy and piece. I march to a different drummer, I feel, here, on this site, I have found others that understand, you too hear your own song and are singing it. Most of us have a part of our lives that we are obligated to forgo our path that brings us contentment. Indeed we are fortunate when the day comes that we are able to find that we can wake to clean a houses stall, let him out, after all is done, set with a hot cup of coffee (tea or chocolate), breath in the crisp air and watch life move before you in the sun.

there are predator lights that deter night predators. They are basically just flashing red lights that look like eyes

Last edited:
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

Just wanted to get a little advise..... we have our very first broody hen.  I picked up a dozen fertile Trader Joe's eggs and put under her yesterday.  I have no idea if this will work but was wondering what to do now...... what should I be checking (and or doing)?  I know that chances of the eggs hatching aren't that great but I figured it would be fun to try.  We have never hatched eggs before so I feel pretty lost at this point.

Any advise would be appreciated!!
How egg citing . I watched a post about the TJ eggs.. Good turn out from what I remember. We just got our first eggs today.
I think it was from Jenny our sex link..
We will have a fabulous breakfast for Christmas tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom