Arizona Chickens

Alright zonies, looks like we are getting a chill in the weather for the next couple days. Down here in Rio Rico, overnight lows in the 30s. I just brought out the girls and they haven't been in that cold of weather yet. Should I move them back in the house for safe keeping? The girls are only a month going. 2 day old chicks bought for Easter and all. What weird weather we are getting huh?!

Alright zonies, looks like we are getting a chill in the weather for the next couple days. Down here in Rio Rico, overnight lows in the 30s. I just brought out the girls and they haven't been in that cold of weather yet. Should I move them back in the house for safe keeping? The girls are only a month going. 2 day old chicks bought for Easter and all. What weird weather we are getting huh?!

I think they probably aren't ready for 30 degrees if they are only 4 weeks old. I would either bring them in or use a heat lamp outside. Make sure they have room to snuggle up under the heat lamp and/or get away from it. They should be fully feathered in a couple of weeks, though depending on the breed.

Wow that is great start to finish! Thank you for that! I will have our friends look at this.. They are helping us build a smaller version..
Well thank you. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask. Not that I am an expert by any means. If my pics are unclear in anyway, and you wan't a better view of something for reference puposes, i'd be glad to snap some more detailed ones if you want. The way I constructed the coop may or may not be what you want, but I remember when I was in the midst of building it and wished I had some really good close ups of something and didn't... I just constructed many things the way that made sense in my brain. lol
Believe it or not, it's not the coop I'm most proud of... it's the wooden gate to the chicken yard. It was incredibly difficult to build. The wood was so dense and old that I was melting screw heads off while putting it together. It weighs about 150 lbs. I told my girlfriend Lisa that I wanted to sell it on etsy for about $2000 (it cost me the price of the screws and hardwear) and she said absoulutly not (she is the design artist and did the painting). Oh well. It does make a statement for sure!

Last edited:
Quote: I lost my moringa tree in the 4 day cold weather we had here in Wittmann. I wonder if any one had Moringa tree make it? Seems a lot lost their trees. I have one more sapling in the ground but if that dies I give up. Never know when we will get a run of real cold weather. They seem to be so cold intolerant.

Quote: LOL! I had been trying to kill my African Sumac and wasn't successful. Didn't water it for six years. It kept hanging on. Then I built a chicken coop next to it and thought, "hmmm... if I could get that thing to grow this coop would have some shade on the west side..." so I started being nice to it, and apologizing to it, and watering it... for a year... and then it froze nearly to the ground. Go figure. It's not dead. It's just very, very short. Good shade for the ants. Not so much for the chickens.
th.gif

LOL! I had been trying to kill my African Sumac and wasn't successful. Didn't water it for six years. It kept hanging on. Then I built a chicken coop next to it and thought, "hmmm... if I could get that thing to grow this coop would have some shade on the west side..." so I started being nice to it, and apologizing to it, and watering it... for a year... and then it froze nearly to the ground. Go figure. It's not dead. It's just very, very short. Good shade for the ants. Not so much for the chickens.
th.gif

Mine is huge. I had to cut a few 6"-8" branches off to make room for the coop.

I bought a pair of silkie chicks from a local lady and everything was fine until I went to move them to the row out brooder today. I haven't paid super close attention to them lately, so it could have been going on for a month or so.
She is 9 weeks. She rarely opens her left eye. She kinda waddles and scoots backwards and she twists her head around in al different weird angles but it looks like her head is too heavy?
She squeaks kind of constantly too.
Anyone know what is wrong with her? Or what I can do?

I bought a pair of silkie chicks from a local lady and everything was fine until I went to move them to the row out brooder today. I haven't paid super close attention to them lately, so it could have been going on for a month or so.
She is 9 weeks. She rarely opens her left eye. She kinda waddles and scoots backwards and she twists her head around in al different weird angles but it looks like her head is too heavy?
She squeaks kind of constantly too.
Anyone know what is wrong with her? Or what I can do?
Looks like wry neck check out this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/675405/sick-silkie-wry-neck-or-crocked-neck

I posted this on the Arizona Backyard Farmers on FB but thought I'd ask here too. On different threads I read about there being animal sell & swaps in other places, seems most are hosted by a feed or ranch supply store. Wondering if there are any around in AZ?

Back
Top Bottom