Arizona Chickens

I'm planning another brew day next Saturday morning. The garage will be open if anyone wants to come by. I'll be doing my recipe for a Belgian Saison. I'll send you home with some grain to treat your flock.
I have a concert to go to that night otherwise Id call it an all day brew an BBQ day.
Primus is playing at the Rialto that night! I can't wait to see that show!!

Pm me if you want to come by mid-late morning the 18th.

Hi Arizona! I'm in Southeast Michigan and will most likely be moving to Phoenix for my husbands job. We currently have 16 chickens. We would love to keep a few hens when we move. Friends have recommended Surprise as a good place. I see their ordinance allows chickens but they have to be 80 feet from where people live, eat or sleep. Looking around online it doesn't seem like there are any yards big enough to accommodate that. Also, looks like most neighborhoods have HOAs and I'm guessing they frown upon poultry keeping? I'm glad to see there is a lively and friendly chicken community out there. Any suggestions or information on both family and chicken friendly neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Arizona! I'm in Southeast Michigan and will most likely be moving to Phoenix for my husbands job. We currently have 16 chickens. We would love to keep a few hens when we move. Friends have recommended Surprise as a good place. I see their ordinance allows chickens but they have to be 80 feet from where people live, eat or sleep. Looking around online it doesn't seem like there are any yards big enough to accommodate that. Also, looks like most neighborhoods have HOAs and I'm guessing they frown upon poultry keeping? I'm glad to see there is a lively and friendly chicken community out there. Any suggestions or information on both family and chicken friendly neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to AZ!
Chandler is getting ready to pas (or already has?) a new chicken ordinance allowing chickens.
Are you looking for a large lot, like .5-1 acre? There are quite a few areas in Gilbert that are still urban farm and my HOA in Gilbert allows chickens. I think Scottsdale also has very good chicken laws. Before you buy anything with an HOA read the CC&Rs for yourself and maybe even check with the management company. Don't take the realtor's word for it.

Also, Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! I'm a mom only to dogs and chickens, and neither got me anything this morning, lol. But I went out to breakfast with my running group this morning. My friend organizes it and once a month we get together to run and then leave a big tip at breakfast for a single working mother. Since it's mother's day, we went the extra mile to get our biggest tip ever, $1250. So hopefully a good day for her today too. :D We usually never see what happens afterwards because we just hand them an envelope on the way out the door. But the manager took a video for us so we could see. I've attached that below too...
The tradition continues! It makes me feal so good that there are still groups of people making a difference in lives. My Mom was one of the heads of Sun Shine it was a group that adopted a family to make a difference. A 1938 version of homes for humanity and more. They raised enough to buy a home and furnish it pulse several thousand left for clothing food and education/training for both husband and wife, who were blind, they had 4 children. Fast forward to 2005 or 06, both became successful people to to the early training and support of Sun Shine. I do not know when he passed away but she died in 05 or 06, in Sun City were she retired to. Your group is doing the same thing. Touching lives in a most miraculous way. an average home was $4,100.00, average household income $1,700.00 a yr, house rent $26.00, gas $0.10 per gal.

Last edited:

Here is some no. And places you can look. I hope it will help
Websites:
www.backyardchickens.com
www.feathersite.com
www.pathtofreedom.com

Resource outlets in the Phoenix area:
Where to get materials:
Western Ranchman
16028 N. 32nd St.
Phoeix AZ 85032
602-992-3410
www.thewesternranchmanstore.com/

Pratt’s
5237 W. Glendale Ave.
Glendale, AZ 85301
623-939-3326
And
11717 N.W. Grand Ave.
El Mirage, AZ 85335
623-544-1544
http://www.prattspets.com/

Tempe Feed and Tack
1041 W. University
Tempe, AZ 85281
480-966-3884
http://www.tempefeedandtack.com/

Stock Shop
623-487-9277
6615 W Thunderbird Rd
Glendale, AZ 85306

For more info: Phoenix Permaculture Guild, Backyard Chickens, Feathersite, Path to Freedom, Western Ranchman Store, Pratt's Pets, Tempe Feed and Tack

Welcome! In addition to chicken friendly neighborhoods, you need to take your husband's commute into account. Phoenix is a big place. I live in Tucson but have to travel into Phoenix for business periodically and can vouch for the fact that rush hour traffic in Phoenix is bad. What part of town will his job be located in?

My daughter and Pepper
6A893EED-512C-4F9B-845C-064350CC3B3C-463-000000FD4044FF00_zps93b8139e.jpg

And Amp
978F2D60-B996-4C17-957E-20B83F55BDC1-463-000000FD4908FC62_zps29cc15d9.jpg

Welcome to all the new peeps. I live in North Scottsdal
So glad to see so many chicken owners in Scottsdale. We live east of Troon, towards Rio Verde. Our chicks enjoy morning foraging in the backyard and once again in the evening. Love when they see something fly by and try to catch the fly, moth or anything else. The other day, we had a scorpion on the patio. I stomped on it before my kids got to it, but made sure that the chicks were introduced to the dead little scorpion. They pecked away and were a little unsure the dead creature. He did eventually disappear. Yippy!

Back
Top Bottom