Arizona Chickens

Who knows,,,my nails sometimes curve and twist when they get long...and sometimes they don;t. I've never read anything about toe nail growth in any of the literature.  If Blondie was on concrete or other hard surface, she would probably wear them down...

That was the thing. She was on our pavers a lot. There was plenty of grass, but all the chickens prefer to hang out on the pavers...and poop. Anyway, City got Blondie from me and none of my other chickens have the nail or beak problem.

Oh she is a sweety.. Still no egg.. I am going either today or tomorrow for feed & vitamins.. Her beak seems fine.. Maybe a bit
off, but not much.. I put the 3 new girls together.. They are doing great! Flowers girls were at the lower rank and will need to grow in some
back feathers before I let them into the run with the rest of the flock.. Boy it is so much nicer here with all of the Roo's gone..
It was getting way to loud..

Red rocket let me know when you order saddles??

Oh she is a sweety.. Still no egg.. I am going either today or tomorrow for feed & vitamins.. Her beak seems fine.. Maybe a bit
off, but not much.. I put the 3 new girls together.. They are doing great! Flowers girls were at the lower rank and will need to grow in some
back feathers before I let them into the run with the rest of the flock.. Boy it is so much nicer here with all of the Roo's gone..

Waiting on LadyKota and Mary. Mary says she knows someone who makes very nice ones.

Notinoz: I'm sorry to hear about your bathroom leak, that can be a really unpleasant and expensive problem.  Once you have the walls opened up, wipe down the studs with straight bleach to kill any mold that might be starting in there, that is one of the things that the dry out companies did when I had damage from much more extensive leaks.  Ripping up the carpet and staining or putting down tile is a really good idea.  I've ripped up carpet a few times, and no matter how well kept the carpet is, the floor underneath always looks disgusting.  I'm personally convinced that wall to wall carpet is a mistake that should be fixed.
I hear you on wanting to get projects *done*, I'm finally getting the half wall between the kitchen and dining room finished, and I should get a vent hood installed soon, and I'm *so* happy about that.  Of course, now time is getting taken from that to renovate the back bedroom/office, which we had been using for storage.  Luckily that will be pretty cheap, just replacing drywall on the ceiling and one wall, and then painting, taking up the old carpet, putting down new flooring and baseboards.

Mold is a funny thing. I work and have worked with dry out companies, former mold remediation, Ins companies, very experienced plumbers, etc. Just some facts; it takes at least three conditions for mold to form and grow. Lack of light, lack of air movement, and a food source (water). If any of these 3 are removed the mold will die. Simply fixing the leak and in time allowing the space to dry out will solve the mold problem. 1 out of several thousand are suseptible to getting sick from mold. 1 out of several million are in danger of dieing from the condition when white mold fights with black mold and releases the toxins. I love walking in to fix a leak when the place has been quarintined and the workers are in hazmat suits and resperators and I'm dressed as a normal person off of the street, kinda kills their propaganda. I hate it when companies knowingly screw homeowners or their insurance people. Straight bleach is a good thing and I'm surprised they told you that, kinda takes away from their showmanship. Bleach and water in a spray bottle will do the same and no the added water will not hurt or add to the current water/mold problem like they will tell you. I could go on and on.....and I need a spell check.:rolleyes:

Thank you for that!!!!! We had 2 different leaks with in 30 days.. Awful!! I do have to say the black mold does have a different
smell.. Even when we a another leak from the shower into the hall closet, I could smell it & knew.. It has happened like 4x.
We replaced the valve & shower floor. Hense the problem is gone, however I am still paranoid about getting sick.. So you
just made my day.. Bleach make me feel sick. We have been using essential oils for cleaning.. They have anti-bacteria
anti-fungal fighting properties.. Just not stain removable qualities.. So off to the store for bleach.. I guess I will use it every once
in a while. A fan & opening up the windows will do the job.. Thanks again.. :)

Mold is a funny thing. I work and have worked with dry out companies, former mold remediation, Ins companies, very experienced plumbers, etc. Just some facts; it takes at least three conditions for mold to form and grow. Lack of light, lack of air movement, and a food source (water). If any of these 3 are removed the mold will die. Simply fixing the leak and in time allowing the space to dry out will solve the mold problem. 1 out of several thousand are suseptible to getting sick from mold. 1 out of several million are in danger of dieing from the condition when white mold fights with black mold and releases the toxins. I love walking in to fix a leak when the place has been quarintined and the workers are in hazmat suits and resperators and I'm dressed as a normal person off of the street, kinda kills their propaganda. I hate it when companies knowingly screw homeowners or their insurance people. Straight bleach is a good thing and I'm surprised they told you that, kinda takes away from their showmanship. Bleach and water in a spray bottle will do the same and no the added water will not hurt or add to the current water/mold problem like they will tell you. I could go on and on.....and I need a spell check.:rolleyes:

Sailboats, that have pure ventilation has problems with mold, only seen forms of black mold on boats in isolated locations. I washed surfaces with vinegar, use backing soda and commercial obsorbants to remove water, other then vents, used small fans also a well placed heat sourse causes air movement, just a few degrees higher works (high and low pressure zones). I have some breathing problems sleeping in a noise of a boat (5.5' at the widest, 30" high closed space) mostly do to when I have a compromised immune system. This is not the same conditions found in most houses. Amonea, and Bleach is not an option in a boat with out lung protection.

Drivers of reffers, uses Amonea on a rage on the floor of the reffer, adjusting the vents, the Amonea kills mold on Fruit and berries, inableing the driver to get paid for his load arriving in good shape. One driver told me his wife will put a few drops in the refrigerator that she uses to store fruit before canning if she can not do it right away. My grandmother used Amonea for all kinds of cleaning, I left the house as a kid, I have no idea just how she could have stand it. FRYI, drivers use it in their windshield washing solution, it cleans the jets, and will not freeze.

I used it why washed down in the cab of my truck to clean, if I could air it out, Clorox would damage some surfaces. I do NOT remember Chemistry details but sodium chlorine is table salt (please correct me if wrong or add to my blanks) one of the reasons salt is so good at cleaning and killing some "bugs" on fruit and vegetables. Table salt will also kill bugs that live in salt water. It has something to do with being manufactures versus natural salts and it concentration, again I fail to remember details that can change or get around things. Chemistry is so interesting and most of the time defies itself. Check out the book THE DISAPPEARING SPOON, by S. Kean. He will explain why you couldn't figure out what was going on and why 1 or 2 annoying kids got it and thought you were really dull minded because you didn't.

A light Silver solution will kill it all. Dissolve pure silver into water, you can drink it also, believed by some t o fight disease. To much and you turn a sickly gray blue that is very permanent. But most metals kill bacteria and mold. Legionnaires disease was do to PVC not copper being used in the A/C. Now cooper has to be used.

Last edited:
Thinking ahead, can anyone give me an idea of how hard it will be to find local takers for a couple of roosters? I'm only getting five chicks, lavender Ameracaunas and Black Copper Marans. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about what happens if they're ALL roosters?!! My little girl will be devastated and to be honest, so probably will I. I'd hate for them to end up as someone's dinner but is that their most likely fate?

Hoping someone can give me good news...

Personally, I feel that good husbandry involves having a plan on how to deal with your sick, injured and unwanted. Before we even purchased anything, I made clear to my wife that roosters would be allowed to grow until they began growing and became a nuisance. Anything excess or unwanted would go to Camp Freezer. With the exception of her two Silkies, she has said she is ok with that.

Yes, you can put them on Craig's List and sometimes other folks here will take them, but in all honesty, I would venture to guess a vast majority of those go to pot as well. Unless you are completely willing to keep any and all animals that you get, you have to accept those deads. It is a source of food for humans and is socially acceptable. This isn't bad news at all, though. Remember, that chickens are being hatched, raised and killed in significantly worse conditions than you can provide all in the name of food.

On the happy note, you are almost guaranteed to get at least a few females. You can also get sex-linked breeds, which have distinguishing marks at birth that make the sex clear. This will eliminate any heartache you and your daughter may have. So far, the only one of the three roosters we've purchased were not planned. We specifically chose the others. Out of twenty-two, I think, we've had one surprise.

Thinking ahead, can anyone give me an idea of how hard it will be to find local takers for a couple of roosters?  I'm only getting five chicks, lavender Ameracaunas and Black Copper Marans.  I couldn't sleep last night thinking about what happens if they're ALL roosters?!!  My little girl will be devastated and to be honest, so probably will I.  I'd hate for them to end up as someone's dinner but is that their most likely fate? 

Hoping someone can give me good news...

Well yes, some of the people might tell you they will be their pet.. so unless you know them I personally don't think that is reassuring.
I did try to give our silkie roo Kent Jr.. away before he is dinner.. No takers.. Doing the Coq AU Vin brine in just a bit.. We still have 2 roosters..
No they will not be dinner.. Good luck with that..

Waiting on LadyKota and Mary. Mary says she knows someone who makes very nice ones.

Ok, put me down for 7.. Want extra just in case..

Personally, I feel that good husbandry involves having a plan on how to deal with your sick, injured and unwanted. Before we even purchased anything, I made clear to my wife that roosters would be allowed to grow until they began growing and became a nuisance. Anything excess or unwanted would go to Camp Freezer. With the exception of her two Silkies, she has said she is ok with that.

Yes, you can put them on Craig's List and sometimes other folks here will take them, but in all honesty, I would venture to guess a vast majority of those go to pot as well. Unless you are completely willing to keep any and all animals that you get, you have to accept those deads. It is a source of food for humans and is socially acceptable. This isn't bad news at all, though. Remember, that chickens are being hatched, raised and killed in significantly worse conditions than you can provide all in the name of food.

On the happy note, you are almost guaranteed to get at least a few females. You can also get sex-linked breeds, which have distinguishing marks at birth that make the sex clear. This will eliminate any heartache you and your daughter may have. So far, the only one of the three roosters we've purchased were not planned. We specifically chose the others. Out of twenty-two, I think, we've had one surprise.

Back
Top Bottom