Arizona Chickens

Maybe try the vets in your area? My "chicken" vet up here does a full necropsy for about $80.
Does that include tests for various illnesses? Things like Marek's and Coryza?

I had a bunch die here many years ago, and I thought it was Marek's, but the ones up in a cage off the coop floor never got it. Even when housed with the "sick" ones later.

I think that it was environmental. We had a super-soggy rain and I covered the coop with straw, because we had two inches of standing water in there for over a week. I tried to raise the coop floor up so I could walk in there. Later when I turned it over, it was COVERED with the most horrid smelling black mold, gave off the most hideous strange odor, like nothing I had ever smelled before.

I read here on BYC that someone else had thought hers had Marek's (same symptoms) but the necropsy later showed mold killed them! I went ahead and vaccinated all my new chicks for it anyway, but if I could have done a necropsy to make sure for just $80, I would have done it in a heartbeat! Let me know the vet's name & address if you don't know the answer, maybe I can call and find out?

I took mine to a vet when that happened (in 2009, I think?) and that vet told me a necropsy would require me sending to U of A and would cost about $200 which is why I didn't do it, sigh!

So I had a $75 vet bill and no answers . . . would have happily paid $80 to know exactly what was going on.

Last edited:
BTW, later I added SAND to the coop floor and haven't had an issue since! The sand works great. No more soggy "lake" in the middle of the coop when we get heavy rain, like we did here recently. Drains great now that they've churned the sand into the dirt by digging at it.

Last edited:
We are about an hour north of Phoenix, it's actually the geographical center of AZ, way out in the boonies! No town in sight.

If you are familiar with the area, are closest to towns like Cordes Lakes, Camp Verde and Mayer, but it takes a while to get to any of them. :)

Welcome! I'm in Mayer....we are practically neighbors!

LKD- I carry my roo into the house at least once per week for a 'bath'. He has a long crest & it needs washed often to avoid the white looking dingy. He has snuck in a couple of times but only gets inside the backdoor before he sets eyes on 1 of 4 Siamese! I was a little paranoid when we first started. But aside for obsessive hand washing I've gotten over it.

** on another note advise needed.
I was concerned my roo was getting frostbite due to a few pinhead sized spots on his wattle. After reading up I decided to put Vaseline on all my birds, except those with peacombs. Then a few days later I checked him again & now he has white splotches around the bottom edges & a red irritated spot like a pecked at spot. I'm getting bluecoat today but am afraid to put more Vaseline on him. Any suggestions before I start searching threads?

Anyone familiar with Buttercups? I have a Roo and was wondering how close to standard he is. Just curious...

Quote:
I haven't had to deal with frostbite yet, but I would expect it to damage comb tips and wattle edges. Small dark spots on the wattle are likely to be peck marks. My birds get black spots on combs and wattles when the pecking order is being rearranged. As for the white splotches, is it possible it is just dry skin due to low humidity?

FYI, I don't treat the peck marks. They heal up quickly on their own.

Billiam, I'm not sure what you've planned with your broody. I've told my daughter we're going to incubate a few eggs this spring, and I think we're going to try your Option 2. Sell the chicks. Or give away. Possibly eat them, but doubt my kid would be pleased with that option. I currently have a broody hen who has been sitting for 2-3 weeks now--she'll be getting 15 broiler chicks on Friday, which should make her pretty happy!
Good luck! The sooner kids realize where food comes from the sooner they'll appreciate the sacrifice, and possibly a vegan!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom