Arizona Chickens

Hard to say what happened but it is possible the broody (or someone else) picked the feather fuzz off the chick's head.  Perhaps there is something wrong with the chick that you can't see?

Edited to add:  I missed the comment about "spray the coop" earlier.  What are you spraying for?  Could the chick have been attacked by mites?

No spraying with water cuz its very hot. We spray their dirt baths when it gets very hot.

Keep us posted.. How long had it been since you had seen her?

Help!!! Plz.
This chick hatched to one of my broodies and we just got home and found it when we went to spray the coops. She looks like her fluff has been scalped off her head. Her eyes are not open. I sprayed her with blue coat to keep infections away. What could of happened?

She drank water but has not eaten yet. I of course pulled her into the house in my brooder crate. Any thoughts will help.
Oh she can hear fine.
maybe she got her head stuck in something somewhere?

Hi! Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back with y'all. I have been hatching chicks and it seems the ones that hatch with a mama from the coop thrive much better than the ones form the 'bator - I don't understand it, but I have a hard time getting them past 3 days and sometimes they'll even go for 4/5 days and I will lose one! Very frustrating.....
I am breeding some of my best heat tolerant hens w/ the same in roos; I have one from last year and she is doing very well as a layer so I have high hopes for the "next generation" lol. I really am enjoying having chickens.
What breeds do you have?
Well, I am sorry to make this short but I have to get some rest now.....
Have a very blessed sleep and day tomorrow!!!!!
cool.png

Help!!! Plz.
This chick hatched to one of my broodies and we just got home and found it when we went to spray the coops. She looks like her fluff has been scalped off her head. Her eyes are not open. I sprayed her with blue coat to keep infections away. What could of happened?

She drank water but has not eaten yet. I of course pulled her into the house in my brooder crate. Any thoughts will help.
Oh she can hear fine.
Ouch! Looks like the skin got torn? This can commonly happen to adult and baby quail since they tend to jump straight up and can scalp themselves. Don't know about that happening with chickens, Maybe one of the adults got her? With quail even drastic scalpings can heal remarkably fast. I hope this little one will be ok.

So my broody got "rebooted" and is now not a broody!
wee.gif
She was in a wire dog kennel for three days, in the deep shade of a tree of course, and she could reach the ground to scratch in and cool off. I was amazed that she had sisters around her at all times (except at night when I closed them in their coop). When everyone was scratching through the compost bins there was at least one sister hen that stayed behind to keep her company. Such good sisters!

Hi! Sorry it has taken so long for me to get back with y'all. I have been hatching chicks and it seems the ones that hatch with a mama from the coop thrive much better than the ones form the 'bator - I don't understand it, but I have a hard time getting them past 3 days and sometimes they'll even go for 4/5 days and I will lose one! Very frustrating.....
I am breeding some of my best heat tolerant hens w/ the same in roos; I have one from last year and she is doing very well as a layer so I have high hopes for the "next generation" lol. I really am enjoying having chickens.
What breeds do you have?
Well, I am sorry to make this short but I have to get some rest now.....
Have a very blessed sleep and day tomorrow!!!!!
cool.png

I have OE, EE, barred rock and sex links. Oddly the redder sex link seems to have the harder time with the heat...and the Marans X OE.

Quote:
Hi AZ peeps - from a former AZ thread-er:

I had a chick of mine die that looked a lot like this one, although more of the body was bald too, not just the head. A broody mama hen broke into another pen that had a mama and this one chick, and the other mama plucked/pecked the chick to death. I was heartbroken (and so was her mama). My guess would be that one of the other chickens got in with your chick and attacked it, but either got bored or distracted and stopped. (thankfully). I hope your chick recovers!

So my broody got "rebooted" and is now not a broody!  :weee She was in a wire dog kennel for three days, in the deep shade of a tree of course, and she could reach the ground to scratch in and cool off.  I was amazed that she had sisters around her at all times (except at night when I closed them in their coop).  When everyone was scratching through the compost bins there was at least one sister hen that stayed behind to keep her company.  Such good sisters!

Agh, your hens love eachother... :goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom