Arizona Chickens

Agh, now that's what I am talking about!!! :highfive:
How beautiful girl... :goodpost:
I have 0 grass here so gonna have to stuff some boxes. I get new boxes all the time from the grocery store that gives me produce clippings. They're pretty good size boxes. Can't wait to build my permanent run eventually but it's nice now finding methods that can be disposed of real quickly if we move.

It's. Easy how much cooler under these pine trees' shade. The branches don't even hang very low. I bet your yard is very cool with the trees and grass. Probably a good 20 degrees is bet difference between mine and yours. This yard has a lot of potential but the owner doesn't want to even buy the seed.

Last edited:
We want 2! Does anyone want to do a order together??
I was thinking that as well. I wonder if they would do special pricing for a group buy? There's a video on Youtube of it, it makes a dramatic difference in the volume of the crow, you can barely hear it. I think this would let a LOT of city folk keep roosters without upsetting neighbors. If it truly works as well on all roo's as it did in the video. Looks pretty simple to make one if you are handy with a needle & thread. Or maybe buy one & reverse engineer it? Either way, I think I wouldn't mind having a few of these for my coops with the noisiest roos..

I just saw this and have never even heard mention of it before! Has anybody had any experience with this product? I would love to hear "real world" info/reviews of it

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/No-Crow-Rooster-Collar-p1580.aspx

This is so funny! I was just telling my husband earlier that it was too bad there wasn't a collar to stop a roo from crowing like there is the no-bark dog collar. My EE roo has the worse crowing I've heard, sounds more like a woman being strangled while screaming. I always said his crowing mechanism was broken :)

Shoppers had a tip on their FB page a few days ago that I decided to try. Put BOSS in a bowl of cold water & ice to encourage your chickens to drink more. Mine loved it. I also do frozen fruit bowls for them - cut up different fruit, put in bowl of water & freeze, give the frozen fruit bowl to your chickens. They love it on these hot days. I also do it on a smaller scale using ice cube trays.

I love your set up. Very pretty. I have produce boxes out front now. Now with the new set up I need to be creative for roosts since the top is slanted. Do they have to roost? I have a little plank ladder but it only holds maybe 4 hens. A couple were on it last night but others were laying on the compost pile. All the tree branches here are too high off of the ground for them to enjoy those.
....they only use my peach tree to roost the others POL pullets,roost on top of the dog cage that's on top of chairs, the turkey & 2 other pullets roost on top of a black container from Costco upright near the dog crate, 2 BCM 7/8 weeksin the dog cage with h2o and door open. So those who Roost in the peach tree are 5' to 6' + high.

there's six birds total, 2 pullets in 4 hens Up in that tree! I stood on a chair to take the pic!

To answer your question. ..I personally don't think chickens have to roost, but I think they prefer to roost and be up high when they sleep as their eyes are not very good in the dark and they're afraid of being caught by predators.

Last edited:
BYC SEED EXCHANGE
July 4th 7:30 pm till ?
Knights of Pyths
1606 East Apache Boulvard
Tempe
:highfive:
Bring your favorite dish to share & your own drinks..
Play a game of pool, darts cards & other board games..
If we do fireworks make sure they are legal.. Usually we do 9 pm & midnight
Bring yor family, kids, neighbors and invite your friends..
:woot

This sounds like too much FUN! I'm going to have to drop in for Sure!:):yiipchick
Can we bring fireworks? ?

FUNNY question! How'd you grow your wheat grass?It looks yummy!!!!!

Last edited:
I do not have misters for my chickens and only go out once a day to spray down the pens but wholly molely its muggy today and I wish I had misters today lol.
hmm.png

I do have misters, but hate having to use them. They are high maintenance with our hard water. Some don't mist and some spray down and make puddles. Need cleaning or replacing and that is a pain to do in this heat. ANY maintenance is a pain to do in this heat! They do leave wet spots in the dirt and that attracts the flies
duc.gif
There is no perfect solution to keeping chickens cool in our heat.

I do have misters, but hate having to use them. They are high maintenance with our hard water. Some don't mist and some spray down and make puddles. Need cleaning or replacing and that is a pain to do in this heat. ANY maintenance is a pain to do in this heat! They do leave wet spots in the dirt and that attracts the flies
duc.gif
There is no perfect solution to keeping chickens cool in our heat.
I agree Marcy.
BTW I gave someone your info that wanted fertile eggs and or chickens.I do not know them they contacted me from a pre hot season CL add I had for fresh eggs. Just thought I would give you the heads up. (gave them your web page info told them you have a lot for sale and were very knowledgeable). :)

Back
Top Bottom