Arizona Chickens

Ideal Poultry and they are still shipping CX. I use Ideal because I do such small #s and they only charge $7 for shipping. Every other hatchery charges a fortune, more than the dang cost of CX chicks. I'm in Tucson. Ordered 12, requested no packing peanuts this time. I'll see how they are going to do. I think they're going to be fine.

I can't wait till I'm retired (presumably this will happen) and can have a "natural" chicken set up. I'll be able to get beautiful dual-purpose birds from someone like desertmarcy and I'll have all the space and time I need to never support the hatchery business again. For now though, fast and cheap meaties for the win.

I have NN chickens and I got a HUGE rooster that I plan on crossing them with for meat birds. I will have some next year if you are interested in my NN meat bird experiment.
The chick in the last two pictures looks as if it has the NN gene. For those not familiar with Naked Necks they were developed in Europe to breed a birds with 2/3 less feathers to make for easier harvesting. An Asian breed with a featherless neck was used in the mix, they are 100% chicken, good all purpose birds with mild manner personalities. NN is a breed that is fun to mix with other birds as the trait NN is dominate and makes for easy identification. Those of us who like the UNUSUAL and practical go for this trait and breed. Because of the mixing it is difficult to find a NN which meets the standard of care for Shows and many people with NN are not interested except those who breed Silkie Showgirls which have NN in their mix.
OMGosh I love everything about my NN and yes they are not for show but for FUN!!! I have so many plans for them. :). They are my favorite breed!!!!

Look what came in the mail today! It's my new thermostat, hygrometer and turner with quail rails. I'm hoping this will help increase my hatch rate.

I cannot wait to get mine set up and going
  • burbgirl
  • new_egg.v168221180.png
Hi everybody!

Is there anyone in AZ who has had issues with mold growing either in the coop/house or on the ground in the pen/enclosure?
The moisture is obviously terrible in monsoons. I am trying to keep everything as dry as possible but it is really tricky. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
never heard of mold growing in the coop. Can your coop dry out at all?

Happy that I got this puppy playpen for "just in case". Has a mesh zippered top and a solid zippered bottom. And two zippered door flaps. It also folds up and had a carry case.

Itty bitty (silkie) loves her food dish.
I was thinking of buying one of those, are they worth it?

They are already to old to ship so we would have to meet up someplace.

That is what I feed my quail chicks, don't know if that is OK long term for young chickens. Maybe if they are getting plenty of veggies?
I still need to get with you. I think we figured out an Avery. Will the quail get along or be ok with Peacocks?

Jubilation - You are exactly what you're chickens need and want! You sound like a chicken whisperer to me. I hope to be moving up near to your area in the not too distant future. DH got a new job in the Clarkdale area. Is that near to your town?
Clarkdale is on the other side of the Bradshaw Mountains to the East of us. We are 20 miles North of Prescott and Clarkdale is in the area of Cottonwood and Camp Verde.

@Papas Chickens @Gallo del Cielo

Here is my bush not sure if its Texas Lilac or not and I have no idea how to get seeds but it is doing so good here.

I'm pretty sure that is Spanish lavender.

@City farm (hope I have the right one)
I found out I have 10 drakes and only 3 ducks (hens). We will be processing the drakes this weekend. I guess I better learn to cook duck!! and like it.
Yum!

I have NN chickens and I got a HUGE rooster that I plan on crossing them with for meat birds. I will have some next year if you are interested in my NN meat bird experiment.
OMGosh I love everything about my NN and yes they are not for show but for FUN!!! I have so many plans for them. :). They are my favorite breed!!!!

I cannot wait to get mine set up and going

welcome-byc.gif
never heard of mold growing in the coop. Can your coop dry out at all?
I was thinking of buying one of those, are they worth it?

I still need to get with you. I think we figured out an Avery. Will the quail get along or be ok with Peacocks?
The peacocks will probably step on the quail, they are tiny in comparison and have no sense of self-preservation. Also I don't know if peacocks carry Coryza like chickens do. Coryza is deadly to quail so it's best if quail are housed away from chickens and probably peacocks.

Last edited:
I mostly want to grow Texas Lilacs in my run because the seeds can be eaten by the chickens and they wont destroy the bushes and there droppings wont kill it, plus they grow very good in hot weather.
OK, this is bugging me. When you say Texas Lilacs do you mean vitex? These get to be deciduous large woody shrubs or small trees? If so then I can get some seeds from my neighbor, but I also think I saw vitex seeds in the seed box at @City farm 's house.

I'm pretty sure that is Spanish lavender.

Yum!

The peacocks will probably step on the quail, they are tiny in comparison and have no sense of self-preservation. Also I don't know if peacocks carry Coryza like chickens do. Coryza is deadly to quail so it's best if quail are housed away from chickens and probably peacocks.
ok I have a plan for a pen for them to have a pen I was just curious about the two but that makes sense. I want to use an old gazebo as a pen for my peacocks.

That is pretty high. What kind of chickens, and what purpose? I use 22% for black Jersey Giants, because they are slow growing but will grow big, use the same feed for Cochins, for the same reasons.  I might use something that high in protein for Cornish meaties, but that would be about it.

I have 3 laying hens BR, EE and leghorn, together with 2 3-months pullets BA and production red, and 2 month old BO. So I can't feed them layer feed.
Is 30% protein ok for this group?

Back
Top Bottom