Arizona Chickens

Does everyone on the Arizona forum all live in the Tucson area?  I think I've only noticed only one person that lives in the Prescott area but everyone else lives in southern Arizona.  No offense to anyone and I'm not complaining but sounds like a SACC - Southern Arizona Chicken Click.

wow am l far behind! But to answer your question I am in the white mountains a tiny town called Eagar. 15 miles from the NM border.

@Sill what breed or breeds of quail do you have?
I have jumbo browns with a few A&Ms

ok I have a plan for a pen for them to have a pen I was just curious about the two but that makes sense. I want to use an old gazebo as a pen for my peacocks.

thumbsup.gif

I have 3 laying hens BR, EE and leghorn, together with 2 3-months pullets BA and production red, and 2 month old BO. So I can't feed them layer feed.
Is 30% protein ok for this group?
Wouldn't it be better to get chick starter?

ME, ME!
yippiechickie.gif
I have a lot of hens, that if they do not find new homes soon, will be stewing hens! I have two 2-year old Rhode Island Reds, eleven 3 to 4 month old RIR pullets (just discovered I was getting stubs on the offspring this year, so A LOT of them are going---layers only, not for breeding), two olive-eggers from last year, a whole flock of New Hampshire hens since I've decided to downsize and not keep them, Black Copper Marans, hens and pullets, Barred Rock pullets, also have 6 red sexlinked pullets, those are only 2 months old but need to be gone. Oh, and 3 project Delaware hens. Too many birds, not enough space or time. Pricing will be reasonable. Here are some pics I took today of some of the younger ones I'm selling.

Thanks, desertmarcy! You have some nice looking hens, and such a great variety! I will check out your website, too, and let you know. I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want to do as far as adding new chickens to my flock. :)

wow am l far behind! But to answer your question I am in the white mountains a tiny town called Eagar. 15 miles from the NM border.

I had an apartment for a year right at the turn to go to Alpine, Az. Can't remember the name of the road but I think there's a Shell Station across the street. I'm the worlds Biggest LSU fan and watched every game at that restaurant out in front of Bashas (I think) while I was living/working there. Hunted in Alpine for those dang squirrels with the pointy ears (Abarth?). This is where i want to bring my wife in the hope that she likes it and we can move there FOREVER. was that you that was having the problem with a neighbor about the chickens? Hope all is well.

@Macboat I have a mixed group of chicks too - we call them the littles, the middles and the bigs. Until the littles can have layer feed I feed a flock feed with chick starter/grower. I do not have fermented feed but my troops like mash so they get that mixed everyday all nice and mushy and they all chow down. When the littles can have layer feed then I'll start mixing the layer in to the flock/starter mash and gradually go to layer only until I get a mixed group again. I provide oyster shell for the middles and the bigs so they can graze on it whenever they want. I understand this "want" is like instinct so the littles never seem to bother it. That's my way of handling the mixed chicken troops!!
AND
@City farm @Papas Chickens Texas Lilac Vitex is the same as Spanish Lavender and a number of other things. In some places in Texas it is considered a weed but I don't think we'd have that problem here. I'm going to ask my much-loved master-gardener nursery guy about them! I love the dark purple spikes and I think you can train them up as trees if so desired.

Back
Top Bottom