Arizona Chickens

I haven't posted for a while, but still try to keep up with the happenings.

So sorry for the losses due to this heat. I am doing the best I can to keep my 4 pullets from heat stroke. I have a mortar tub wading pool they love to get in, a large plant saucer with a frozen milk jug and water, a mortar tub with damp dust bath dirt. Plus a regular waterer. ( I took out the bucket/nipple waterer after they knocked the stand over twice. LOL)

I also put a portable swamp cooler in the gazebo that at least blows cooler air in one spot for them to stand or lay if they choose. I turn on the swamp cooler when the temperature reaches 95. Right now, at 5:45, it's 101 in the gazebo and 109 outside. I have shade cloth, also. It's just plain hot.

So far, the girls aren't too stressed and seem able to cope by wading or laying in the damp dust bath tub. I also spray down the sand in the afternoons and that seems to help.

They are now 18 weeks and two of them have nice red wattles so eggs shouldn't be too far away. I hope.

CHICKEN MATH!!!!! I couldn't stand it, I am weak, I bought an incubator. I bought 15 fertile eggs from a BYC member. I am 5 days into incubating a variety of pretty blue eggs and dark brown eggs, with a couple lighter brown eggs too. Ameracaunas, Marans, Barnvelder and Blue Lace Red Wyandotte. I am hooked and haven't even hatched a single chick yet.
fl.gif

DH and son have been alerted to the need for a large chicken house/storage shed. (heh heh heh) Gazebo will be a great grow out pen, right?

Since this is my very first time doing this chicken thing, please send me good karma to hatch some delightful chicks in a couple more weeks. Incubator is holding steady on temperature and humidity is between 30 and 40 for now. After much reading (thanks to all who contributed info) I am going with the "dry" method, except when it drops near 25, then I add a bit of water to one of the wells.
I know what you mean. I havn't hatched an egg yet either and I'm hooked as well. A gazebo sounds like a really good idea for a grow out pen to me.

Last edited:
@a little chiken
@desertmarcy
You all up for the Poultry Club meeting tomorrow? Just finished baking my famous chili relleno casserole, and if I don't eat it all tonight, will be bringing it to the meeting. Still having hydraulic problems with my truck, so it will make the trip on the back of a Harley, keep your fingers crossed!

@a little chiken
@desertmarcy
You all up for the Poultry Club meeting tomorrow? Just finished baking my famous chili relleno casserole, and if I don't eat it all tonight, will be bringing it to the meeting. Still having hydraulic problems with my truck, so it will make the trip on the back of a Harley, keep your fingers crossed!

I plan to be there.

@a little chiken
@desertmarcy

Now that you've announced that chili relleno casserole, you'd better not eat it all tonight! Sounds yummy. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Still not sure what I'm bringing. It won't be banana bread this time. No ripe bananas in the house.

Now that you've announced that chili relleno casserole, you'd better not eat it all tonight!  Sounds yummy.  Looking forward to trying it tomorrow.  Still not sure what I'm bringing.  It won't be banana bread this time.  No ripe bananas in the house.

No worries, I made a double batch. I knew ahead of time that I kind of have a weakness for it (burp)!

So good your doing ok.. I will put up the D.E. link again.. It will clen out your intestines... There is also another formula a naturopath doctor told a friend.. I will ask & post that as well...
I would like to see more about this. It seems like my intestines/colon have been jacked up for the last several years. I see all kinds of commercials out there about probiotics, etc., and haven't tried any yet. Do they actually work? Inquiring guts want to know...LOL! --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

I would like to see more about this.  It seems like my intestines/colon have been jacked up for the last several years.  I see all kinds of commercials out there about probiotics, etc., and haven't tried any yet.  Do they actually work?  Inquiring guts want to know...LOL!  --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Eat chilies, they're good for everything!

Well we made it back from Tucson seeing Desertmarcy and picking up 2 chicks. We drove through rain and a dust storm like I have never seen before. At one point I was driving 5 mph and could see maybe 10 feet in front of me. A little scary but we made it. The girls were calm and just relaxed in the crates the whole way home. We got a year old Delaware "Muriel" and a 4 1/2 month old Black Copper Maran "Charlie" both girls don't let the name fool ya. They are getting along nicely with Rachel and Monica our other two chicks. While we miss Phoebe it is nice that all the girls are getting along. We do have to keep Charlie separated from the older chicks when we are not out in the back yard since she is smaller but they are beautiful birds. As you can see Muriel is making herself at home in the coop.
LL
Glad you made it home safely.. They are beautiful...

I haven't posted for a while, but still try to keep up with the happenings. 

So sorry for the losses due to this heat.  I am doing the best I can to keep my 4 pullets from heat stroke.   I have a mortar tub wading pool they love to get in, a large plant saucer with a frozen milk jug and water, a mortar tub with damp dust bath dirt.  Plus a regular waterer. ( I took out the bucket/nipple waterer after they knocked the stand over twice.  LOL) 

I also put a portable swamp cooler in the gazebo that at least blows cooler air in one spot for them to stand or lay if they choose. I turn on the swamp cooler when the temperature reaches 95.  Right now, at 5:45, it's 101 in the gazebo and 109 outside.  I have shade cloth, also.  It's just plain hot.

So far, the girls aren't too stressed and seem able to cope by wading or laying in the damp dust bath tub.  I also spray down the sand in the afternoons and that seems to help.

They are now 18 weeks and two of them have nice red wattles so eggs shouldn't be too far away.  I hope.

CHICKEN MATH!!!!!  I couldn't stand it, I am weak, I bought an incubator.  I bought 15 fertile eggs from a BYC member.  I am 5 days into incubating a variety of pretty blue eggs and dark brown eggs, with a couple lighter brown eggs too.  Ameracaunas, Marans, Barnvelder and Blue Lace Red Wyandotte.  I am hooked and haven't even hatched a single chick yet.  :fl

DH and son have been alerted to the need for a large chicken house/storage shed. (heh heh heh)  Gazebo will be a great grow out pen, right?

Since this is my very first time doing this chicken thing, please send me good karma to hatch some delightful chicks in a couple more weeks.  Incubator is holding steady on temperature and humidity is between 30 and 40 for now.  After much reading (thanks to all who contributed info) I am going with the "dry" method, except when it drops near 25, then I add a bit of water to one of the wells.

Glad you are back on. We were wondering where you have been.. This hatch is eggciting, keep us posted.. You are a good Moma, those chickens are spoiled.. :highfive:

I would like to see more about this.  It seems like my intestines/colon have been jacked up for the last several years.  I see all kinds of commercials out there about probiotics, etc., and haven't tried any yet.  Do they actually work?  Inquiring guts want to know...LOL!  --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Inquiring guts want to know... :lau
It can be tricky.. Sometimes it is easy.. What is funny about probiotics is that commercial for yougart. Activa, it is really craptivia.. Stool softener... :gig
You have to find out what works for you..
Hope this helps...
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/How-Diatomaceous-Earth-Works.php

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom