Arizona Chickens

So I put my week and a half old girls outside in the grow up coop that I remodeled and added a 2 inch layer of fresh arizona sand on the floor. After introducing them to there big girl waterer, they go dust bath crazy thete was a cloaud of dust a foot high it was insane and hilarious to watch. Even the five Gunea Fowl was dust bathing lol, I also put my little girl that was sickly when I got her out there with the others she had a ball also. She is only about half there size though she isnt really growing, she is also grabing the other girls toes but I think that is because she has been seperated from them for ahwile. I had to bring the girls inside around 2am because of the rain, we got flooded again. Same thing hapened when I put my first girls outside.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Have you found it hard to shop for all organic and non-GMO? Expensive? Sucks that you and everyone else has to deal with this stuff.

It sucks getting old.
I'm a Cajun so cayenne is a big part of my diet normally. Only real other chili I eat is jalapeños.
It is not that hard IF you avoid processed foods. You need to read all labels. Almost everything has soy or corn in it, or something derived from soy or corn. Those are two of the biggest GMO crops, so if it doesn't say organic, you can count on it containing GMOs. Yes it is more expensive to buy, but in the long run? How much is your health worth to you?

It is not that hard IF you avoid processed foods. You need to read all labels. Almost everything has soy or corn in it, or something derived from soy or corn. Those are two of the biggest GMO crops, so if it doesn't say organic, you can count on it containing GMOs. Yes it is more expensive to buy, but in the long run? How much is your health worth to you?

Thanks for the advice. My health is worth a lot but my pocket book is bare now as it is so spending more on anything is near impossible. I haven't worked in almost 2 years now. I have some kind of nerve damage from a surgery and get electric jolts all over my torso. Then this GI thing, and I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis as well. Im officially broken. I'm gonna have to be creative I think to avoid GMO's and still stay within our budget.

So I put my week and a half old girls outside in the grow up coop that I remodeled and added a 2 inch layer of fresh arizona sand on the floor. After introducing them to there big girl waterer, they go dust bath crazy thete was a cloaud of dust a foot high it was insane and hilarious to watch. Even the five Gunea Fowl was dust bathing lol, I also put my little girl that was sickly when I got her out there with the others she had a ball also. She is only about half there size though she isnt really growing, she is also grabing the other girls toes but I think that is because she has been seperated from them for ahwile. I had to bring the girls inside around 2am because of the rain, we got flooded again. Same thing hapened when I put my first girls outside.
I haven't seen them grab another chickens toes yet. Prob not funny to the one getting pecked but it sounds hilarious. Lol. I put zip ties on my girls' yesterday so that I can tell them apart better and they were checking and pecking each others tags.

Thanks for the advice. My health is worth a lot but my pocket book is bare now as it is so spending more on anything is near impossible. I haven't worked in almost 2 years now. I have some kind of nerve damage from a surgery and get electric jolts all over my torso. Then this GI thing, and I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis as well. Im officially broken. I'm gonna have to be creative I think to avoid GMO's and still stay within our budget.

Oats are not GMO (yet!). I eat oatmeal every morning. We buy organic rolled oats in bulk, 25 lb bag, through Azure Standard. Cheaper in bulk. Supposed to be good for you. I put fresh fruit in it from our trees, whatever is in season. Right now we have lots of figs and plums, both are great chopped up in oatmeal. We freeze a lot of our fruit for the lean times. Growing even a little of your own fruits and vegetables really saves big on the grocery bill. More vegetables, less carbs, supposed to be better. Think of what you purchase, there are probably items you can do without. For me, it would be the potato chips. Yummy, yes, good for me, no. I see people struggling with expenses, then they are smoking or drinking beer. Both expensive habits.

Glad you are back on. We were wondering where you have been.. This hatch is eggciting, keep us posted.. You are a good Moma, those chickens are spoiled.. :highfive:

Yep, I'm still around, just don't post often.  I'm trying my darndest to spoil the girls so they give me lots of yummy brown eggs.  LOL  They seem to be fine and run to the door and start talking to me as soon as they see me. 

Farm fresh eggs are wonderful.. At one time we had beautiful eggs from @Sill & her quail.. They are the once that have the chocolate design, along with the small pinkish, blue & white small ones from a dear friend that rescues wild birds & will get them better for rerelease. If they are not able to be let go she will keep them. She brings us the eggs from them..then the last white egg at the bottom is a duck egg.. The others are from our flock..
Does anyone make mayonnaise from your eggs.. Yum!!! :weee

Oats are not GMO (yet!). I eat oatmeal every morning. We buy organic rolled oats in bulk, 25 lb bag, through Azure Standard. Cheaper in bulk. Supposed to be good for you. I put fresh fruit in it from our trees, whatever is in season. Right now we have lots of figs and plums, both are great chopped up in oatmeal. We freeze a lot of our fruit for the lean times. Growing even a little of your own fruits and vegetables really saves big on the grocery bill. More vegetables, less carbs, supposed to be better. Think of what you purchase, there are probably items you can do without. For me, it would be the potato chips. Yummy, yes, good for me, no. I see people struggling with expenses, then they are smoking or drinking beer. Both expensive habits.
You just made me hungry, now I want oatmeal with figs.

My wife had GI problems and went to every doctor and tried every medicine, including a colonoscopy that put her in the hospital.  After doing our own research and learning about GMO food and how glyphosate disrupts your gut bacteria it was pretty clear to us what the problem was.  Within a day or 2 of eating organic or non gmo foods she was cured.  I never had issues but now if I try to eat fast food as soon as that burger hits my gut I'm looking for a bathroom.

I was reading LKD's newspaper clippings in her last post. An interesting tidbit caught my eye, the American Heart Association was started by Procter & Gamble around 1950 to push their unsaturated fats, and they hired a well known doctor to quash any dissenting research. No conflict of interest here.

"the oiling of America" goes threw the congress & what not.. I still want to watch the whole thing. I feel asleep. If anyone wants to to come & watch let me know

Back
Top Bottom