Arizona Chickens

It is not that hard IF you avoid processed foods. You need to read all labels. Almost everything has soy or corn in it, or something derived from soy or corn. Those are two of the biggest GMO crops, so if it dothe food is usually half of would I would buy it at the retail price.esn't say organic, you can count on it containing GMOs. Yes it is more expensive to buy, but in the long run? How much is your health worth to you?
Oats are not GMO (yet!). I eat oatmeal every morning. We buy organic rolled oats in bulk, 25 lb bag, through Azure Standard. Cheaper in bulk. Supposed to be good for you. I put fresh fruit in it from our trees, whatever is in season. Right now we have lots of figs and plums, both are great chopped up in oatmeal. We freeze a lot of our fruit for the lean times. Growing even a little of your own fruits and vegetables really saves big on the grocery bill. More vegetables, less carbs, supposed to be better. Think of what you purchase, there are probably items you can do without. For me, it would be the potato chips. Yummy, yes, good for me, no. I see people struggling with expenses, then they are smoking or drinking beer. Both expensive habits.

@k9Dave
if you shop around some places you can find discounts on organic foods, at Whole Foods sometimes I will buy their brand of organic items, which is cheaper on my pocketbook. Here in Mesa there's a store called American discount foods which sells organic foods & some will be close to its expiration and I buy it up in gobs. the organic food there is usually half the cost of the retail price. Sometimes you can find coupons as well. Other times I buy in bulk. See what's close to you. You can find or maybe once a month come out to American discount foods and gets some items. I've known of people to drive from other cities with a cooler just to get some items there. Costco has Organic ground beef for I think under five bucks a pound.

Last edited:
Tucson Poultry Club meeting at 6262 S. Sorrel, potluck at 1, meeting at 2.
it usually takes me two hours to drive to Tucson and I'm not even finished feeding all my my chickens! Ugh! :th

I wanted to join you guys and bring something over but I don't think I have enough time to do it..

Thank you for this. Have you found it hard to shop for all organic and non-GMO? Expensive? Sucks that you and everyone else has to deal with this stuff.

It sucks getting old.
I'm a Cajun so cayenne is a big part of my diet normally. Only real other chili I eat is jalapeños.
No, we did not find it hard at all or more expensive. I was apprehensive at first but I looked at it as a necessity. We had just had a child so eating right was a change we needed to make anyway. We do most of our shopping at Trader Joes now and occasionally Sprouts. Sprouts is definitely more expensive. Trader Joe's makes a statement that any product in there store with their name brand on it is guaranteed non gmo. There is some controversy about it because they won't allow anyone to verify their claims in independent testing. In my opinion that would be a company destroying mistake if they were proven wrong so I'm good with it. If you look hard enough you can find just about anything organic somewhere. Like desertmarcy said try to avoid the major gmo crops like sugar, soy, corn and others unless labeled organic. Our eating changes are what got us into chickens. I think it is very cool to sit down to food I raised in my backyard from birth to processing and know every piece of food that it ate.

No, we did not find it hard at all or more expensive.  I was apprehensive at first but I looked at it as a necessity.  We had just had a child so eating right was a change we needed to make anyway.  We do most of our shopping at Trader Joes now and occasionally Sprouts.  Sprouts is definitely more expensive.  Trader Joe's makes a statement that any product in there store with their name brand on it is guaranteed non gmo.  There is some controversy about it because they won't allow anyone to verify their claims in independent testing.  In my opinion that would be a company destroying mistake if they were proven wrong so I'm good with it.  If you look hard enough you can find just about anything organic somewhere.  Like desertmarcy said try to avoid the major gmo crops like sugar, soy, corn and others unless labeled organic.  Our eating changes are what got us into chickens.  I think it is very cool to sit down to food I raised in my backyard from birth to processing and know every piece of food that it ate.

Thanks for all the guidance. I will def try that store out too. Ideally I wish that I could raise EVERYTHING we eat. This after all is the way nature intended I'm sure. Not growing our food in mass and rich people making it a monopoly. When we move, I will def have a hog or two, a cow or two and a bazilian chickens. We go through eggs like crazy around here as it's a big part of our diet. Me, My wife and both dogs can't wait til the girls start laying already. I'm sure the store bought eggs that I'm eating aren't good for my insides as well.

I have several used stock tanks and old wash tubs that I use to garden in and one is a pond with carp and lily ponds. Have an old windmill that keeps the water circulating so I don't need an electric water pump. Chickens love to gather round the base where it's cool and make dust baths up close. Part of it is in the shade. Because of an abundance of rabbits in my area I need to elevate my garden. On the one hand I don't have to deal with any chicken predators but, on the other hand, due to the absence of predators, we have an over abundance of rabbits, lots of roadrunners, gophers, mice - which my chickens like to eat - and a lot of bull snakes or gopher snakes - same difference.

Yes to home made mayonnaise! (Try using olive oil!)

Me too, and I use olive oil, that's the mayo I use for my deviled eggs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom