Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Seriously--did we not just get done with the kitchen junk conversation!
lol.png
I see "knocked over eggs from small hands"---besides, we keep our AC at 84ish---just the right temp to get those fertilized eggs started growing *ick*
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Seriously--did we not just get done with the chicken junk conversation!
lol.png
I see "knocked over eggs from small hands"---besides, we keep our AC at 84ish---just the right temp to get those fertilized eggs started growing *ick*
sickbyc.gif

I won't use one, and if by small hands, you mean YOU... becuase we all know about your luck!! I'm just trying to help out. She really wants one... I know because she said "really" like 3 times. That's how you know someone is serious!!

Quote:
Seriously--did we not just get done with the chicken junk conversation!
lol.png
sickbyc.gif

I have one of these and LOVE IT! Kitchen counter cool enough to keep eggs on until I have enough to fill a carton. . . and it is a beautiful decoration. I paid a lot more, as mine was "imported". . . .an e-bay purchase that cost a lot more than the "estimated price". . . .live and learn. . . .I'm glad they are available here. . . .I think it's a terrific gift idea for friends with chickens. . . . .

Well.... guess who started crowing today? Yep....
24162_kahililog.jpg

and my poor little bantam cochin kept getting jumped by this guy yesterday. She protested big time
smack.gif

Also my Bantam Frizzle roo got into a fight with my JRT today. He got out of his pen and well, there were frizzle feathers everywhere. Neither seem the worse for wear thank goodness.

Anyway, anyone on here want a really pretty Roo? (I will GIVE Kahili to anyone that will use him here on BYC. He's to pretty to send to freezer camp)
fl.gif

Quote:
I did that for Easter and it worked perfectly. I've never had eggs (old or new) peel so easily. However, I also added a tablespoon of salt and a tablespoon of baking soda to the water just to cover all my bases.

What does that do?

I always see two ways to make fresh eggs easier to peel. One is the ice water method, and one is the salty (with either salt or baking soda) water method. http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/peeling.html

Me!!!!! I want an eggskelter! So cool!

Boiling eggs: For those of your pro-egg boilers out there, I second the question on whether you put room temp or refrig temp eggs in that boiling water. Do tell!

Butchering: Ok. So how do YOU do them in? Axe on old tree stump? Do YOU Skin them or pluck them?

Mulberry Tree: My mothers yard is dominated by mulberry trees. Her DH is VERY attached to them. They are yummy...but keep everything shady which is not so good for gardening. Theirs are probably 40 years old.

New nephew has arrived!! Cell phone pic shows a perfect baby!! So excited for my brother and his family!

I am thrilled to see that Omlet finally has the skelters here! The company told me a few months ago that they were working on that. i will be ordering one as soon as I have the funds available!! Cheerul, I will let you know before I order if you want to order together. The shipping is not that bad, so don't wait for me if you don't mind the shipping cost!
We keep the house super cool, so I like to keep them on the counter. We put great insulation in so I could be spoiled in my very cool house
big_smile.png

So, I was shopping for blenders the other day and saw the coolest lemon slicer... Hee hee!
gig.gif

On the butchering, I think the best way is the big neck vein. I have heard too many stories about how the hachet just bounced off the chicken's neck and lots of other horror stories. A contained bird and a sharp knife are very humane and quick. I went to that workshop a few weeks ago and "did in" a few. They are gone within a minute or two. Sorry if that was too graphic for some.

Quote:
this is nephew #4 for me. My brother lives next door, so I will enjoy spoiling both my SIL and my nephews! Well 3 of them are next door. The other is 26 and lives on his own.

Back
Top Bottom