Arizona Chickens

Could someone help me out with filling out this forum ? Last year I had a late entry and didn't have to fill this out. What would my exhibitor # be? Does variety mean color? And what are all the abbreviations on the right side?
The abbreviations are C for cock, H for hen, CKL for cockerel, and P for pullet. I have no idea what OT and YT are for. Leave the exhibitor number blank.

A Black Copper Marans would be listed as a large breed, Marans for breed, and Black Copper for variety. One of your Andalusians would be listed as large, Andalusian, blue, and hen.

Last edited:
Quote:

Tables were in short supply at the Friday potluck last year. Soup can be tricky to eat while trying to balance everything on your lap. Food that will stay on a plate is easier for those eating it and for those cleaning up. Since I am probably the one who will be cleaning up, I am sitting here holding my head and moaning "Nooooooo!" at the thought of soup at the potluck. (Note to self: This is probably not the best time for me to reply. I rebuilt one of my coops this afternoon and I'm cranky at the thought of doing anything but soak in a tub....) Please ignore the curmudgeon who has been typing this post. She might be more agreeable tomorrow. And she certainly could use some chicken soup for the aches and pains.
lau.gif

I hope there will be bowls but I am not sure. It depends on what supplies I have to buy myself and how much is budgeted for reimbursing me. I will know more tomorrow, after the club meeting.
smile.png

Could someone help me out with filling out this forum ? Last year I had a late entry and didn't have to fill this out. What would my exhibitor # be? Does variety mean color? And what are all the abbreviations on the right side?

The exhibitor number gets assigned after you submit the application. Birds in the show are labeled with exhibitor number, not the owner's name. There will be a list of exhibitors at the front desk when the show starts. Be sure to grab one early because they often run out. When you see a bird you like in the show and you want to know who it belongs to, find the exhibitor number on the coop tag and look up the exhibitor on that list. Showing by number helps prevent the judges from being influenced by the name of the exhibitor.

C = Cock ( a male chicken over 1 year old)
H = Hen ( a female chicken over 1 year old)
CKL = Cockerel (a male chicken under 1 year old)
P = Pullet ( a female chicken under 1 year old)

I think "OT" and "YT" means "Old Trio" or "Young Trio" but I am not sure of this.

"Fee" is the entry fee for that bird or trio.

Breed is the breed name: "Brahma" or "Cochin" or "Plymouth Rock" or whatever.

Variety is usually the color or color pattern: "Black" or "Barred" or "Mottled" or "Columbian" or whatever.

The breed and variety names should match the current American Poultry Association (APA) or American Bantam Association (ABA) standard. If you don't have a copy of the relevant standard, I strongly recommend getting one. You can get the APA Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Association. It is an expensive book to produce and it is copyrighted. You have to get it from them. If you ask for one for Christmas make sure you give the person the APA or ABA website link so they know where they can order one for you
wink.png

The APA Standard of Perfection has a lot of information in it about what makes a good quality bird. It is definitely worth getting for anyone interested in improving the quality of the birds in their backyard.

Quote:
I am planning on showing if I can get the forms. Maybe a chicken soup would be nice? it goes far and it will be nice and warm. but do we have to bring the bowls too or is someone bringing those?

Tables were in short supply at the Friday potluck last year. Soup can be tricky to eat while trying to balance everything on your lap. Food that will stay on a plate is easier for those eating it and for those cleaning up. Since I am probably the one who will be cleaning up, I am sitting here holding my head and moaning "Nooooooo!" at the thought of soup at the potluck. (Note to self: This is probably not the best time for me to reply. I rebuilt one of my coops this afternoon and I'm cranky at the thought of doing anything but soak in a tub....) Please ignore the curmudgeon who has been typing this post. She might be more agreeable tomorrow. And she certainly could use some chicken soup for the aches and pains.
lau.gif

I hope there will be bowls but I am not sure. It depends on what supplies I have to buy myself and how much is budgeted for reimbursing me. I will know more tomorrow, after the club meeting.
smile.png

The exhibitor number gets assigned after you submit the application. Birds in the show are labeled with exhibitor number, not the owner's name. There will be a list of exhibitors at the front desk when the show starts. Be sure to grab one early because they often run out. When you see a bird you like in the show and you want to know who it belongs to, find the exhibitor number on the coop tag and look up the exhibitor on that list. Showing by number helps prevent the judges from being influenced by the name of the exhibitor.

I think "OT" and "YT" means "Old Trio" or "Young Trio" but I am not sure of this.

Variety is usually the color or color pattern: "Black" or "Barred" or "Mottled" or "Columbian" or whatever.

The breed and variety names should match the current American Poultry Association (APA) or American Bantam Association (ABA) standard. If you don't have a copy of the relevant standard, I strongly recommend getting one. You can get the APA Standard of Perfection from the American Poultry Association. It is an expensive book to produce and it is copyrighted. You have to get it from them. If you ask for one for Christmas make sure you give the person the APA or ABA website link so they know where they can order one for you
wink.png

The APA Standard of Perfection has a lot of information in it about what makes a good quality bird. It is definitely worth getting for anyone interested in improving the quality of the birds in their backyard.
thumbsup.gif

I have my entry form now (might put a GLW in, might not) and I'm excited to see that Robert Kennedy is in charge again this year! He's awesome! And Ruth Birdsong is going to be around too... she's also great, used to be my 4H leader before I got sick. It's hard to do 4H shows and all when you're in a wheelchair, I learned.
tongue.png
This show is a great place to meet old friends!

Last edited:
well I am up to 6 hens now. three i got as chicks, and three I have added over the last month or so. Old new chicken (yes that is her name) is still not laying... I gave up on her. New chicken and honey (the two newest ones) have laid me one egg the day after they came here and then stopped. I suspect it was honey... and out of the three original chicks one buff is laying one egg every three days or so... I believe it to be nugget. Bemo and BBQ are still free loaders.... 6 hens, one rooster and I only get about three eggs a week? I need a bigger coop and a lot more chickens if this is going to be my rate of lay. HAHAHAHAHAH (like I need any more excuses for more chickens)

how long does it take for a chicken to get over a move and start laying again??

Seems like it all depends. Each hen is different. I got a couple free hens from another member and they took over 2 weeks to start back laying. I was shocked. Someone else who got a hen from the same place had an egg the next morning I think. Just all depends.

@City farm I guess it worked.
1f604.png

Thank you very much for the help and the chicks. They're in a kennel inside the run now getting acclimated with the others.

@moms3cuties

Thank you for the kitten. We haven't named her yet but she stayed in a kennel on the back porch last night. When I woke to do my chores this morning I let her out and held her for a few. Then POOF she was gone. She was trembling a little so I'm sure she found a nice hiding spot to get used to her new home. Plenty of hiding places around here for a cat.

Bemo and BBQ are still free loaders.. :lau
.. 6 hens, one rooster and I only get about three eggs a week? I need a bigger coop and a lot more chickens if this is going to be my rate of lay. HAHAHAHAHAH (like I need any more excuses for more chickens) :yuckyuck

how long does it take for a chicken to get over a move and start laying again??

Depends, on breed, & age sometimes as well. Are the 3 original all Buff's? They are good layers. You would be surprised what makes them stop laying, it could be a handfull of reasons..

Hi everyone! I am near Phoenix, Az. and am looking for a hatchery here in Az. do any of y'all know of one? I was told there was a Cackle in Phoenix but no one seems to now where in Phoenix..... I found a place named "Az. hatchery" - it's suppose to be in Tucson, but no one in the Tucson Clucks facebook group seems to have ever heard of it. I sure could use some assistance here y'all. Some friends and I want to go in together on Silkies, Polish and Frizzles for sure - and I want a couple more Wheaton Aracauna and a couple of Speckled Sussex to.
yep, that should about cover it.... lol
You can pm me from facebook (Shannon Poirier) or email me at [email protected]
Thank you!

There is a few people on here have what you are looking for. If you do go to Tucson give @desertmarcy & @a little chiken a call.

@City farm I guess it worked.
1f604.png

Thank you very much for the help and the chicks. They're in a kennel inside the run now getting acclimated with the others.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the photos!! I can't wait to see the 2 chicks when they get older..
Your welcome.. Did the broody try to peck at you last night? Also, did you take those eggs out from under her?? Put them in a plastic bag & tie up real tight.. Trust me you do not want any of those eggs to explode, you said they were under her for like 30 days?? The smell will take you to the next town, it is awful!!

@moms3cuties

Thank you for the kitten. We haven't named her yet but she stayed in a kennel on the back porch last night. When I woke to do my chores this morning I let her out and held her for a few. Then POOF she was gone. She was trembling a little so I'm sure she found a nice hiding spot to get used to her new home. Plenty of hiding places around here for a cat.

lau.gif

smile.png

wink.png

I thought "OT" and "YT" were for Old Turkey and Young Turkey, but I'm always thinking about turkeys
wink.png
I think you are right, though, it is probably for the Old and Young Trios.

Hi everyone! I am near Phoenix, Az. and am looking for a hatchery here in Az. do any of y'all know of one? I was told there was a Cackle in Phoenix but no one seems to now where in Phoenix..... I found a place named "Az. hatchery" - it's suppose to be in Tucson, but no one in the Tucson Clucks facebook group seems to have ever heard of it. I sure could use some assistance here y'all. Some friends and I want to go in together on Silkies, Polish and Frizzles for sure - and I want a couple more Wheaton Aracauna and a couple of Speckled Sussex to.
yep, that should about cover it.... lol
You can pm me from facebook (Shannon Poirier) or email me at [email protected]
Thank you!

There is no official hatchery in Arizona as far as I know. I think there was someone who tried to start one up a few years back, maybe that was the AZ Hatchery? IDK

Back
Top Bottom