Arizona Chickens

@MagicChicken I just realized you were attempting to school me! I'm referring to your remark "Follow the standard, not the fad".
I believe a person should do whatever brings them joy so long as it doesn't hurt anyone or anything. I'm not following a fad, btw, the majority of my Orpingtons are White flocks and Black flocks. The English Black Orpington is the original Orpington breed, when brought to the states during the "hen craze" Americans changed the breed by crossing them with other breeds to meet the demand. The original Orpington came about by breeding the Cochin (brought to England from China and gifted to Queen Victoria) with other breeds. The original chicken, from which all domestic chickens hail, is the Red Jungle Fowl, which is one of the rarest breeds on the planet as far as finding a pure unadulterated Red Jungle Fowl.
And that's pretty much how I came to get English Orpingtons and how the breed originally crossed the pond in a condensed version. :)
I actually read quite a few fowl books and can bore everyone to tears on how you can add up all the dogs, cats, hamsters, et al and the total number of chickens will far surpass those collectively, as well as other fowl facts.

Which is why I immediately edited my post to add that I know zilch about the English standard for Orpingtons. I realized you said English right after I hit send. Ooops... Cool that you have the English birds. Sorry, didn't mean to be annoying.
hide.gif

I had to process a couple of my sister's chickens that she had dropped off today. No one was home and I didn't want to keep them longer than necessary so I dispatched the first one myself.
he.gif
barnie.gif
I did a very poor job of killing the bird, and I made it suffer needlessly.
hit.gif
I feel very bad that I couldn't end it's life quickly and relatively painlessly. Needless to say I waited for help with the second one. Never again will I attempt to do that with a full sized chicken.

So can anyone recommend a good killing cone? I've used an old bleach bottle before but the bird still thrashes in it and has to be held until it stops twitching. I'd like to buy or make one that is more efficient.

hugs.gif

It's rough when the kills don't go smoothly. It does get faster with practice.

I don't use a cone at all. I have a tree branch at just the right height so I hang the bird by its feet, slit the jugular and either hold the head over a bucket while it bleeds out, or step back quickly because the bird thrashed out of my grip. The whole procedure, from hanging to beginning the bleed out, takes me less than 20 seconds now. By myself. The first time took an eternity. I feel your pain.

lau.gif
Yes they are! My husband has been rolling his eyes routinely at me as I mention buying Muscovey, turkeys...maybe some goats...and how about a pig???
If I could I sure would have some dwarf Nigerian does. I could get them for free since my sister has lots of kids each year and they are from excellent milk bloodlines. Turkeys would be nice, but now Muscovies are going to be soon-ish.

hugs.gif

It's rough when the kills don't go smoothly. It does get faster with practice.

I don't use a cone at all. I have a tree branch at just the right height so I hang the bird by its feet, slit the jugular and either hold the head over a bucket while it bleeds out, or step back quickly because the bird thrashed out of my grip. The whole procedure, from hanging to beginning the bleed out, takes me less than 20 seconds now. By myself. The first time took an eternity. I feel your pain.
I have a hard time with chickens, my hands aren't very strong. I can dispatch quail all day just using poultry shears, but chickens...no. Some people just wring their necks but I don't think I'm physically capable of doing it that way.

So what kind of chicks or hatching eggs does anyone local here in AZ have I would like to get some additional breeds. The person that was supposed to send me replacement cemani closed their ebay account so I am out my money and eggs for those and the tolbunt frizzles. I need to get something really cool to ease my pain
he.gif

Well is there any wonder they couldn't make a go of it? I doubt they even had any pure cemani eggs. Sorry you got taken for the cost. I hope you find something cool.

Which is why I immediately edited my post to add that I know zilch about the English standard for Orpingtons.  I realized you said English right after I hit send. Ooops...    Cool that you have the English birds.  Sorry, didn't mean to be annoying.  :oops:

No worries! I admit I was tiring of being slammed for being a neophyte when it comes to poultry, when in fact I have been personally (outside of my parents and grandparents) raising poultry for 40+ years. I was also accused a few years back of jumping on the bandwagon when Ameraucanas came out and got my first white Ameraucanas.
I come to this board to escape the nastiness of the FB Orpington groups. Not all the people are mean but I find the vast majority are - reminds me of the mean girls in high school. The Marans FB groups are a 180 degree difference, the people there are extremely nice.

:lau   Yes they are! My husband has been rolling his eyes routinely at me as I mention buying Muscovey, turkeys...maybe some goats...and how about a pig??? 

If I could I sure would have some dwarf Nigerian does.  I could get them for free since my sister has lots of kids each year and they are from excellent milk bloodlines. Turkeys would be nice, but now Muscovies are going to be soon-ish.

:hugs

It's rough when the kills don't go smoothly.  It does get faster with practice. 

I don't use a cone at all.  I have a tree branch at just the right height so I hang the bird by its feet, slit the jugular and either hold the head over a bucket while it bleeds out, or step back quickly because the bird thrashed out of my grip.  The whole procedure, from hanging to beginning the bleed out, takes me less than 20 seconds now. By myself.  The first time took an eternity.  I feel your pain.

I have a hard time with chickens, my hands aren't very strong.  I can dispatch quail all day just using poultry shears, but chickens...no.  Some people just wring their necks but I don't think I'm physically capable of doing it that way.
I think I'd like to have or share one of those dwarf Nigerian does,@Sill anyone open to this in the East Valley! ??:lol:

Well is there any wonder they couldn't make a go of it? I doubt they even had any pure cemani eggs. Sorry you got taken for the cost. I hope you find something cool.
I am beginning to feel nauseous with the up and down roller coaster I am riding on. I just heard from the first seller on ebay that closed their account they shipped some kind of eggs to me today. Don't know and won't know what they are until they hatch. 'Sigh' Their account is still closed but at least I am getting something sent. As for the other one I am just getting a refund from them I don't think I will buy any more eggs from ebay only here on BYC and from breeders with a track record. Will keep you all posted on what comes out this time

I am beginning to feel nauseous with the up and down roller coaster I am riding on. I just heard from the first seller on ebay that closed their account they shipped some kind of eggs to me today. Don't know and won't know what they are until they hatch. 'Sigh'  Their account is still closed but at least I am getting something sent. As for the other one I am just getting a refund from them I don't think I will buy any more eggs from ebay only here on BYC and from breeders with a track record. Will keep you all posted on what comes out this time 

I bought eggs from the same seller, but requested they don't ship until Monday. Looking at the auction, I saw that the account was closed now. Now I'm wondering if I will receive any eggs at all, and if I do, what kind of chicken will hatch out?

I am beginning to feel nauseous with the up and down roller coaster I am riding on. I just heard from the first seller on ebay that closed their account they shipped some kind of eggs to me today. Don't know and won't know what they are until they hatch. 'Sigh' Their account is still closed but at least I am getting something sent. As for the other one I am just getting a refund from them I don't think I will buy any more eggs from ebay only here on BYC and from breeders with a track record. Will keep you all posted on what comes out this time

Fingers crossed that this seller did send the right eggs and you get a decent hatch. The fact the seller did contact you and sent more eggs is encouraging, at least.

Back
Top Bottom