Arizona Chickens

Does anyone else find themselves talking to their chicks like they are going to respond?? I've been doing it for a while and just now realized.
lau.gif

Does anyone else find themselves talking to their chicks like they are going to respond?? I've been doing it for a while and just now realized.
lau.gif

What do you mean "like they are going to respond"??? Chickens totally understand me. I'm sure of it, because every time I tell them not to do something they do it right in front of me, just like children...spoiled, bratty children.
gig.gif

What do you mean "like they are going to respond"??? Chickens totally understand me. I'm sure of it, because every time I tell them not to do something they do it right in front of me, just like children...spoiled, bratty children.
gig.gif

LOL! I mean like in English. I totally understand, my chicks can get out of their brooder and if I tell them to go back in they look at me like I'm crazy and run in the opposite direction.
lau.gif

My daughters dog killed our favorite chicken today. So sad, but it is good because now we are going to build a better run. I'm still not sure how she got out.

Does anyone have pictures of how they made their chicken run? I just want them to have a safe place to go outside where this dog can't reach them.

My daughters dog killed our favorite chicken today. So sad, but it is good because now we are going to build a better run. I'm still not sure how she got out.

Does anyone have pictures of how they made their chicken run? I just want them to have a safe place to go outside where this dog can't reach them.
dogs are a tough predator to stop they can wiggle thru chain link that is not reinforced and they can dig. Hardware cloth that is framed and a foot buried with river rock over it should stop that dog. Coyotes are tough too and go right thru chicken wire. Once the dog gets a taste for chicken they are tough to stop. They also can jump depending on breed. Your run will be a veritable fortress to protect your flock. An other option is an electric wire/fence quite useful for discouraging a predator

I made ours out of 4X6X8 posts, 2X4's, and 1/2" hardware cloth buried 2' in the ground. So far so good. My son's dog (Australian Shepherd) lives with us and he's on the chicken terrorist watch list, and so far he hasn't been able to make a dent in it even though he jumps up on the sides and tries everything to get in. He's a great dog but his instincts are just way too strong for him to overcome. So when I built the run I had him in mind too in addition to the regular predators.

:clap :clap [COLOR=333333]Banaynaychicken[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]  Your second photgraph of the rose combed chicken is OUTSTANDING :clap :clap

Thankyou! He is my favorite rooster. I Had to rehome him, but he'll always be my favorite. This photograph is definitely going into the Pima County Fair this year.

Woo-hoo! My velcro rooster collar works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chang the rooster is now safe (and much quieter). He's also molting. How long does it take for them to be finished and start growing feathers back?

Back
Top Bottom