Arizona Chickens

Hey, has anyone else been seeing those greenish/yellow caterpillars that look like they have a horn or something on the tail end of them? They have been so thick here for about the past 2 weeks. You can barely walk anywhere in the yard without stepping on some. They are all over the weeds. My chickens have been going nuts over them, like it's some gourmet meal!
Could it be a tomato hornworm? They don't just like tomatos but anything in the solanae family that includes datura and other nightshades..

@Diannastarr thanks! I think the best bet is some sort of coachwhip bc the behavior is exactly the same I'll have to stop looking at these things or I'll have nightmares tonight lol
yes well they may be helping you in some good way , just think of that , i love my wild king snakes they hunt rattlers , so im very happy to have them..!! they also eat mice , so i think of them as my helpers , and they do a great job for me , my land is safe since they showed up , as i cant ask for more , aint nature great ;):thumbsup

Hey, has anyone else been seeing those greenish/yellow caterpillars that look like they have a horn or something on the tail end of them? They have been so thick here for about the past 2 weeks. You can barely walk anywhere in the yard without stepping on some. They are all over the weeds. My chickens have been going nuts over them, like it's some gourmet meal!
none here thank goodness :sick :D

Could it be a tomato hornworm? They don't just like tomatos but anything in the solanae family that includes datura and other nightshades..

I think that's what they are, and no one near me is growing tomatoes. They are on the same weeds that my chickens like to eat, and my chickens have been eating those caterpillars like they were going out of style.

By the way, I got an email yesterday from your friend Bonnie who got those 5 chicks from me. She wanted to give me an update on them, and said that they are all doing well. She sent me a couple of pictures of them in their new coop. They look like they are being well taken care of and have a good home.

Hornworms caterpillars are green, green, green so they can hide on tomato plants or pepper plants - I've had about 6 or so. My chickens didn't touch them! So they got the shovel of death. I think what you are seeing are the ones that are around when there are or were cotton fields around. Ours went away when they grew alfalfa or corn around us for a few years. This year its cotton again so I expect them next year. I don't know what they are called but that seems to be the only thing that I've noticed that was all the same when they came out. No one in CG has said anything about them yet and they really were thick around here. Something about the rotation of those crops I think. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!

I think that's what they are, and no one near me is growing tomatoes. They are on the same weeds that my chickens like to eat, and my chickens have been eating those caterpillars like they were going out of style.

By the way, I got an email yesterday from your friend Bonnie who got those 5 chicks from me. She wanted to give me an update on them, and said that they are all doing well. She sent me a couple of pictures of them in their new coop. They look like they are being well taken care of and have a good home.
She's got a little video of them too that she said she was unable to email to you. Very cute and inquisitive little boogers! I'm glad you guys were able to get together. Is she planning on getting any more from you?

im back that was not fun but didn't take long using my new handy dandy wash tub that helped a lot to hold all the frozen food, i had to get all the frozen food out (( its a bottom freezer )) and get into the back panel of the freezer compartment to fix my fridge HA , so thank you dollar store..HA, about the houses down in sierra vista they are going for great prices 3 & 4 br & 2 Ba,on 4 acres usually fenced , ive looked around and the prices are starting 100,000 120,00.00 and up but i dont like flat land, i need mountains if i could find what i want , i will live in a tent or a yurt and build what i want..! HA, ive already done that once in my 20's , i built my home on the top of a water fall in a 2000 acre old growth forest in CT and before you know it its all done .!!!
I like the mountains here, but it is expensive. The pretty trees have a lot of rock that they are growing among. We are enjoying the forest in a 55+ mobile home park while we learn the area. A house near-by on 1+ acre is 650,000.

I like the mountains here, but it is expensive. The pretty trees have a lot of rock that they are growing among. We are enjoying the forest in a 55+ mobile home park while we learn the area. A house near-by on 1+ acre is 650,000.
gosh thats very hi... wow , no one knows about this area , and i hope they never do HA & i know its expensive up Prescott way ,but i love the cool up there, but also its not so hot out this way either, it usually never gets over 90 with no humidity , and sierra vista has many different price ranges for places with acreage , if you can live out on the flat land , i cant live on flat land i come from the mountains , and want to be up and away from it all, with my animals , living in the peace & quite. so just a heads up about some other places in AZ.

gosh thats very hi... wow , no one knows about this area , and i hope they never do HA & i know its expensive up Prescott way ,but i love the cool up there, but also its not so hot out this way either, it usually never gets over 90 with no humidity , and sierra vista has many different price ranges for places with acreage , if you can live out on the flat land , i cant live on flat land i come from the mountains , and want to be up and away from it all, with my animals , living in the peace & quite. so just a heads up about some other places in AZ.
We stayed in Bisbee for a week, but my DH did not like the southern AZ area. Prescott is so nice. We looked at a place with 1/2 acre 1 mile from the Courthouse Square, but it was over-priced at 349,000. Waiting to see what comes up! Prescott is chicken friendly, but no roosters in city limits.

Back
Top Bottom