Arizona Chickens

It gets very hot for chickens..
I put up some monsters with a fan. You can also run an evap cooler onto where the chickens hang out

I think it depends on what kind of orpingtons you're looking for, basic egg layer/pets, show quality, or English Orpingtons? I don't think they are a huge thing in AZ because they don't handle the heat as well, at least you don't see very many people that keep them on here. You can order the really nice English ones from Carolina Rare Chicks but their website has been down recently, not sure why. Cackle probably has some nice ones too. Checking out the poultry shows at the fairs and such are a good place to find breeders. If you just want regular pet quality, you're best just getting them from Privett Hatchery which is where most of the feed stores in this state get their chicks from, but they have a minimum of 25 chicks, so it would probably be better to wait until spring when the feed stores start carrying them again.

I think it depends on what kind of orpingtons you're looking for, basic egg layer/pets, show quality, or English Orpingtons? I don't think they are a huge thing in AZ because they don't handle the heat as well, at least you don't see very many people that keep them on here. You can order the really nice English ones from Carolina Rare Chicks but their website has been down recently, not sure why. Cackle probably has some nice ones too. Checking out the poultry shows at the fairs and such are a good place to find breeders. If you just want regular pet quality, you're best just getting them from Privett Hatchery which is where most of the feed stores in this state get their chicks from, but they have a minimum of 25 chicks, so it would probably be better to wait until spring when the feed stores start carrying them again.

It seems like the major hatcheries are shutting/or already shut down for the year and are now accepting orders for 2018.

If you subscribe to Backyard Poultry Magazine, they have a section listing all the events/fairs in each state and also different breeders across the country.

I went to OK Feed & Supply (Tucson) a few days ago, and they had a gazillion chicks for sale. They were arranged on trays in a big metal stand and each tray had two external feed troughs (front/side) where they could poke their heads through. Everything was absolutely clean and there was no crowding or dead chicks. I don't think these chicks are sexed, but they do have another building where they keep older birds, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick out the pullets.

Ace Hardware already stopped carrying chicks for the year, but a few feed stores may still have some like OK Feed.

I cannot speak for the local breeders in our area, but sexing is a skill unto itself and may not be a part of their program, depending on breed/hybrid, so you take a 50/50 chance when purchasing chicks, or you can have the patience to wait until they have started pullets.

Being too lazy to see what was available locally and not wanting to split an order, I went the My Pet Chicken route. They ship as few as 3 chicks. I got 12 SEXED chicks for $48 including vaccination, but the shipping was $58. They arrived safely, vigorous and inquisitive, with a few pasty butts here and there, and can't wait to get them out of my bathroom this weekend.

This was just my experience and would probably use them again if I couldn't find any desired breeds of sexed chicks in smaller quantities locally or within a decent driving distance. --BB

Meant to add: Sorry for the long essay.

Last edited:
It seems like the major hatcheries are shutting/or already shut down for the year and are now accepting orders for 2018.

If you subscribe to Backyard Poultry Magazine, they have a section listing all the events/fairs in each state and also different breeders across the country.

I went to OK Feed & Supply (Tucson) a few days ago, and they had a gazillion chicks for sale. They were arranged on trays in a big metal stand and each tray had two external feed troughs (front/side) where they could poke their heads through. Everything was absolutely clean and there was no crowding or dead chicks. I don't think these chicks are sexed, but they do have another building where they keep older birds, so it shouldn't be too hard to pick out the pullets.

Ace Hardware already stopped carrying chicks for the year, but a few feed stores may still have some like OK Feed.

I cannot speak for the local breeders in our area, but sexing is a skill unto itself and may not be a part of their program, depending on breed/hybrid, so you take a 50/50 chance when purchasing chicks, or you can have the patience to wait until they have started pullets.

Being too lazy to see what was available locally and not wanting to split an order, I went the My Pet Chicken route. They ship as few as 3 chicks. I got 12 SEXED chicks for $48, but the shipping was $58. They arrived safely, vigorous and inquisitive, with a few pasty butts here and there, and can't wait to get them out of my bathroom this weekend.

This was just my experience and would probably use them again if I couldn't find any desired breeds of sexed chicks in smaller quantities locally or within a decent driving distance. --BB[/QUOTE

Back
Top Bottom