Arizona Chickens

Nuke Chick, You live not to far away from me.

I had 6 kids and raised 5 of them on a farm in Mich. It also was peaceful. I have always loved the Boonies. I worked for 30 years for Motorola Hi-Rel, Aerospace,and Military, in Scottsdale, on McDowell Rd.

You have a really great mix with your flock, It is hard to choose one kind, There are so many birds to choose from.

Sorry about your bike crash. People like to run over bikes. I also had a bike wreck, we had to lay it down to keep from getting hit head on by a guy, I broke my tail bone and shredded the butt of my jeans, I had a jacket on so I was lucky with only some road rash on one knee. After that and so many close calls I chose to stop raiding.
I-10 is called death hwy. I have to drive several times in the month and I really do safe driving. I go the back roads as much as I can.

I knew I had to provide shade and fresh water for my flock, one summer I had a mist system for them, however I found out I really didn't need it. I hose the pen down each day and if it gets above 110 I hose 2x a day. I have a tub of water that they can stand in, they sure like that. I planted a desert tree in the area that I made my pen, they now get shade from that tree, I also covered the pen with camo netting and sun shade. I built a coop out of a large packing crate, it turned out pretty nice. I have 2 hutches,and I have old branches for them in one corner that they roost on, also a platform with a large wire dog crate on top of that and then I have the Loft, I put a plastic dog house on top of the crate. I had a large rubber mat that I put on the flat roof I made for the top of the crate. I can hose it all off. All of my chickens roost out in the pen, some of my girls lay their eggs in the coop, some in the crate, some in the dog house. Then I have a kids playhouse that I converted into a Baby house and I get eggs in it also. So when i collect eggs i have to look everywhere. I let them free range and I don't worry a lot about critters as I have a big dog that stays outside, he takes protecting his chickens and his yard very serious My placed is all fenced, with Hog wire so a fox or skunk could get in. Bear really throws a fit when something is around. I get the wild burros up next to my fence and he hates them. It is hard to get a look at them. They hang around early in the morning when it is still dark.

Have you had the pleasure of going to Tonopah Robs farm stand? He will open in Nov. His produce is all organic, You should see what he grows in the desert. He is on Buckeye Rd and 355 ave. on the north side of the road. Here is his web site, [email protected] Check him out, great veggies,and he has chickens and sells his eggs.

I had better get it in gear and feed my flock. have a great day. pati

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my F2 Welbar too... What do you think?

IMAG0143-1.jpg

Tonopah Pati, I grew up on a farm in the boonies of MI too. I wish I'd had chickens when I was going through my battle with cancer, they make me happy and laugh everyday and that is good. I spent 10 days after every week of chemo in the woods of the White Mnts., avoiding human germs until I could grow back enough bone marrow and germ fighting cells. It was a good place to be, but lonely and not a lot of laughter. I hope you find good homes for all your lovely looking lads.

Chrystal Gail, the cape and saddle on that guy is amazing. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, I'm a fly-tier and I must say, those feathers look good.
smile.png

ArizonaNessa, I hope you find a good home for your cockatiel. He looks and sounds delightful.

In the summer, my birds spent all of their time in the coop. Now none of them go in the coop...all of them are in the run... and my two pens can't wait till it's their turn to free range.

I'm loving this weather as much as the birds... I just wish my Ameraucanas would start laying.
Haven't had a blue egg in two days.

Quote:
I grew up in Wagoner, Oklahoma so I am also use to living in the boonies. Dad was a small town Pastor and I went into the Air Force at 17. After retiring I was ready to get back to small town life. We really like Tonopah. I appreciate the tips for weathering the Hens through the Summer. I'll definately add these to my list for next summer. You are right about not being able to pick any one breed to raise. I got my last bunch of chicks from the feed store across from ACE Hardware in Old Town Buckeye. Choices were limited. They seamed to be doing great, laying steady but then summer hit and they all died within a couple weeks. They just kept dying 3 or 4 a day. With that being my first time raising chickens I just didn't know what to do. I feel alot more prepared this time thanks to learning a lot from this message board. But this time I heard about My Pet Chicken.COM. When I placed my order I just picked the ones I thought I would like. I like brown eggs but my wife is a City Girl and will only eat the white ones (I don't know why). She is the main reason I bought the Leghorns.

No, I have never heard of Tonopah Robs Farm Stand. I will have to check in on him when he opens. Thanks for the info.

Boy oh boy, I had no idea so many people came from MI. and lived in the Boonies. I had chickens when I lived there. I would buy 200 mixed at a time, all Leghorns. When the Roos were fryer size I would butcher all but 2. When my hens were 2 years old I would butcher them for stewing chickens. My kids (5 of them) all had pet chickens, Polish and assorted breeds. The older kids were in 4-H. We also had mallards and just plain white ducks. I can't remember the breed, it was so many years ago.
We had a nice spring fed pond for them. When they were old enough I would butcher them. I sometimes would put dry onion or veggie soup mix in side of them, wrap in foil, then in a freezer bag, when I wanted to cook one I just had to take it out of the freezer bag and put in the oven in the foil. They came out so tasty.
Now all my chickens are pets all have names. I am finding it hard to put my Roosters in freezer camp. Whats a mother to do?
hu.gif
That is why I need to re-home 4 of my boys.
D.gif

ChrystalGail Your rooster is so handsome
woot.gif

Gallo, What type pf cancer did you have? I love talking to people that have beat the cancer. I know that you thank God each day. You sure learn to be so thankful for each day, and view life in a different way.
Were you in the White Mountains in Arizona, or another state?

Don't you guys just love the weather we are getting? My chickens, dogs, cat and I love it! They are really playful now.
lau.gif
So much fun.

Nuclear Chicken, I bought my first babies from the same feed store. I used to buy my feed there until Saddle Vista Ranch started selling feed. They are cheaper than any store around here. They are on 1730 N. 419th Ave in Tonopah, The feed comes in 50lb bags, I also buy my dog food there. I save money on product, gas and time. They sell chickens, feed, plants, and ounce in a while goats and puppies. They also print the little Tonopah newspaper. You should take a drive and check them out., Closer than Buckeye, and Jackrabbit trail. I think the name is D&D feed store.
caf.gif

Thank you all for the nice comments on my roo. I'm excited to see what his babies look like.

So, I had a very proud moment yesterday. I taught my 5 year old & 7 year old how to ride the horse by themselves yesterday. It was adorable! Now my 5 year old is asking me if she can ride by herself every 5 minutes. Lol...

Quote:
I saw the Ad in the Tonopah Times yesterday for Saddle Vista Ranch. Have not checked them out yet. I been buying feed from Triple D on Jackrabbit Trail. My wife taught one of the owners daughters. Also because it was on my way to work. Still I should go check out Saddle Vista Ranch. I like supporting local buisnesses. Especially if they are cheaper. I can definitely see this hobby getting out of hand. I haven't got my first egg and I am already dreaming of having an incubator. See what you folks have done to me. It's infectious. LOL.

But on a serious note. Hang tough on the Cancer. One of my sons is a cancer survivor. He was diagnosed with Rabdomyosarcoma when he was 10 month old. A year of Chemo, 28 radiation treatments, and 29 blood tranfusions later he is still in remission. He turns 14 in January. 20 years in the military and the toughest person I ever met was a 1 year old boy. We thank God every day for that stubborn, strong willed kid. Walk with God and you are never alone.

Back
Top Bottom