Arizona Chickens

My roos woke me up about 35 minutes ago. Feels chilly. Guess my days of jumping into the pool have come to an end... but it should hit 85 today... perfect weather.

We had over 400 trick o treaters last night. It's a big deal here on my street.

Bob's Henhouse, that cracked me up. We don't celebrate Halloween at all. I really, REALLY hate the day. But you had me thinking about getting my kids to trick or treat for the first time at your house.
smile.png

Ginger

And to Gallo, Happy Anniversary!! I have had chickens for about a year and a half, just learning as we go. I soooo should have done it your way. Much smarter. Some friends of ours were moving and said, "Hey, we have these 3 chickens that we don't want to drive to VA with. Can you take them?" And a new hobby was born....

Good Morning Maggie,

100% Sure I would be the ONLY one that has chickens, so I guess I'll have to go down to Town Hall this week to see!! Gosh this place is so awesome, nice people, awesome chicken coops pics and lots of information!! :) It's NOVEMBER!!!!
Jessa

Quote:
Hey, sometimes you have to roll with what comes along. If I'd been made that offer, I'd have done the same thing! We got our birds to fulfill a promise to my daughter. Somehow, I ended up being the principle caretaker. I actually saw it coming; I just didn't think I'd be into it as much as I am. They are such interesting creatures. I spent many late nights here, reading on BYC before we got our day-old chicks on Jan. 3, 2010. We haven't lost one, thanks in large part to what I've learned here and quite a bit of luck.

Bob's Henhouse, for about 0.96 seconds you had me worried.
lau.gif

Our little Polish chick has a mullet!!! We have been calling her Joe Dirt or Billy Ray. We have laughed and laughed at this awesome "hair" style. This is probably just normal to many of you, but it's our first Polish. So, we think it's hilarious. I just have to share it with you. This will be my first time posting any pics, so I hope it works.
smile.png

70289_photo0059.jpg

70289_photo0063.jpg

Gallo Del Cielo, happy anniversary. I got into it for two reasons. My kids mom buys chicks every year, and the coyotes or dogs get them all and my boys get really upset. I wanted them to see that you really can keep them till they grow up and lay eggs. Secondly I got them to curb the insect problem, didn't like spraying, on top of the cost of the bug spray. So I read the forums, looked at some plans, smushed it all together and built a coop tall enough for me to walk in, since I had to clean it. Built racks to hold the feed, up from the mice and inside where it is cooler to keep the weevils from growing so fast

5pinkarrows, you are welcome to come by and pick some up! My mom and brother live in Nogales, I mostly grew up there, so I know the area a little bit.

I guess the babies are up for adoption if anyone wants some. They are doing well, 2 and 3 days old now.

Mahonri, I still only got about 50% hatch rate, even with the fancy incubators.
hmm.png
If you saw anything you want you get first dibs since you gave me so many eggs. ( the chicks from Mahonri's eggs are off limits though, unless he wants any)

Pastymama, do you want me to bring Betty back today, or wait till Wednesday? She shivered a little today when I picked her up, but if you put your hand under her feet it helps her. She is welcome to stay longer. I would be interested to see how she does with her next egg.

Saw 3 coyotes running across the back this morning. By the time I got my shoes on they were too far away to do anything about it.

Bob,

It is completely up to you. You have done so much. I will be here all day today, but wednesday is a CRAZY day for me. My twins have daisy scouts and since i am the stupid leader i kinda have to be there. what time were you thinking on wednesday? i will be running my tail off until 3:30.

and i am probably looking at living in the coop if i take some chicks. my fireman said NO! but they are so cute! i wish i had a broody to give some to and that would be that.

Mahonri-wow 400 trick or treaters! We didn't get any, but then again our house is the one that would be the "I dare you" house.

5pinksparrows-Cute polish chick! I have WCBlack and WCBlue polish and Appenzeller Spitzhauben.

Gallo-happy anniversary!

Today we went and picked up about some left over pumpkins. I'm excited to have goodies for the chickens. I'm on my way to pick up our new baby goat. I'm super excited to get her.

NoSkiveez--I am embarrassed to tell you that I have no idea what WCBlack and WCBlue mean. I don't even know what we have. We just went to the feed store to get some chicks. I knew I wanted two Ameraucanas for blue/green eggs, and 2 Cuckoo Marans for dark brown eggs (one died the next day). Then they had these polish chicks that were so cute. I had 4 chicks, but I had 5 daughters. It only seemed right to get one more, and that cute little yellow head was too much to resist. All the sign at the feed store said was Polish, and I had no idea what any of them looked like. I came home and looked it up online, and was blown away at all the different colors and markings. I guess we will have to see what our little Amarilla (aka Joe Dirt) will look like.

And I am so jealous about the goat. You will have to post a pic!

Back
Top Bottom