Arizona Chickens

Vanessa, I hope Sugar is settling in well. She is a sweet girl, you will have a blast with her. BTW, did she per on your lap on the way home? Lol!

Thanks again for the pumpkins. Tell your hubby that I will make sure the truck.is unloaded for him on Wednesday.

Spink, that polish is awesome! Love the pic! BTW, WC just means White Crested. So she has white crested blues and white crested black polish.

Last edited:
Chrystal - I was fortunate enough not to get tinkled on. She kept Hurricane very entertained on the way home. He would fuss and she would baaah at him and he would smile. She is in with the frizzles right now. I'm going to stitch the dog collar smaller so it fits her. I guess I thought her neck is fatter.

5pink - lol. Don't feel bad, we all learn in time. Its probably a white crested black polish. My biggest suggestion with polish is don't move your water dish or feeding locations. If it developes a large crest, it won't be able to find its food/water. I lost one over the summer probably because she couldn't find the water dish. Also, those galvanized feed dishes with the holes are the worst for restricting them from getting the food. I had a silkie get very thin because she couldn't reach her food because her 'fro' prevented her from getting To it. I feed my polish on the ground in the same spot.

Excuse the feathers, the frizzles are molting STILL!
1394.jpg

Pastrymama, Betty laid another egg today. I get the impression she is just scared. She seems afraid of sudden moves, and squats like she is mating, but maybe she is just hunkering down in fear. Still, she seems to be doing ok otherwise. I will be coming into town tomorrow, if that is any better for you than Wednesday. Otherwise, I will be in town again Friday if that is better.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chrystal and NoSkiveez! I will figure it out eventually. That is good advice about the food and water for the polish. I never would have thought of that. Right now she is with the other 3 chicks in a large dog crate on the back patio. I was hoping to put them in with the other chickens (2 silky bantams and 1 small mix) soon, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. The chicks are about 6 weeks? maybe. I tried letting one of the ameraucana chicks in the back yard last week with the other chickens. The silky rooster made a horrible noise and ran right at her. I scooped her up just in time. I guess that will have to wait a while longer.
sad.png
Once they graduate to the coop, I will keep a close watch to be sure the polish is eating and drinking okay. Sometimes I put the big chickens in the back yard and the chicks in the coop for the day, just so the babies can really stretch their wings. That may be a good thing for learning where the food is, too.

hit.gif
Went to the Apache Junction Code Compliance Office this morning.... Long Story short, Cant have Chickens at our house...
tongue.gif
to the city.... Were going to start our garden and go full speed on that I guess instead... Bummer! Thanks everyone, I'll need my fix of eggs so I'll be contacting those of you that are in Apache Junction... If I can support you guys that will make me happy atleast!!

Quote:
That's odd. Is it a chicken restriction or a rooster restriction? And if that really is the case, maybe you could get (excuse my bad spelling, my phone doesn't know how to spell it) ginny's or even quail. Button quail are really cute and they don't take up alot of space.

Bob,

what a funky chicken! so much for them being a friendly breed. my other one, who has yet to lay, is so skittish too. super. and i was wrong on their age. they are just a few days over 30 weeks.

tomorrow i have to volunteer in my twins' classroom until 11:30 and then have to go to the feed barn. what time will you be in the area? i will be home the rest of the day making cupcakes for the twins birthday. do you like yummy delicious cream filled cupcakes? otherwise i can make you something with nuts and give it to you on friday when you come back through. OR, i can pick you up a bag of feed(for your chickens, not you) for your kindness.

hubby will be home overseeding the lawn, so someone will be here tomorrow.

One of my hens is a momma! I can't believe she actually hatched 2 chicks. Those eggs passed between I don't know how many hens over their incubation period. Since they were in one of the nesting boxes and I don't have ramps leading to them, nor feeders or waterers for babies in the henhouse, I moved the mother and chicks to the swingset that I have boarded up for the babies when I have a bunch to raise. That is the funniest thing I've seen. LOL Momma is grunting and pecking at the ground to show the babies what to eat, and here are about 15 or 20 babies scurrying around her, grabbing her wattles and comb, and she's flinging her head, and them, around to get them back off! I about died!
lau.gif

Last edited:
My stress level just shot through the roof! My puppy got her leg stepped on by one of the horses last night. Just took her to the vet.$350 to just see where the break is & splint it. Hopefully its not something that is going to require surgery, or I will have to relinquish ownership of her. We can't afford what I just paid, let alone surgery. :'(

Quote:
Chrystal, I am so sorry about your pup! Hopefully no other vet visits are required. Don't know what vet you went to? I just wanted to let you know that I experienced HUGE differences in prices when moving from the City to our coutry vet in Wickenburg (Bar S animal clinic). One time I saved $500! Try to find a cheaper vet (Wickenburg is a little far from Casa Grande) . Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom