Arizona Chickens

Gallo Del Cielo, I really hate to say it.....but I have 2 incubators running. One for the first stage, turning the eggs, lower humidity, one for the last part with a clear door, eggs not being moved, higher humidity. BUT.. not ALL the time. lol

I can't take credit for pastrymama's hen. She got better, or seems to have. She didn't shiver today when I picked her up.

Pastrymama, I'm not allergic to anything that I'm aware of. If you insist on baking, and I'd rather you didn't go out of your way, I like most anything with nuts, pecan pie, cinnamon rolls, prefer cookies that are crunchy, and German chocolate frosting. So there is lots to choose from, your choice.
Mom always said "When it's brown it's cooking, when it's black it's done" So I guess I like stuff overcooked.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hello SpunkyJessa, I am also in Apache Junction on North Ironwood. I also tried to find the rules about having chickens and didn't find anything. I know at least where I am almost anything goes. I can hear roosters all around me and several homes house horses. I suppose you could go to the city hall and ask. I am somewhat avoiding roosters just in case. I don't want an irritable neighbor to spoil all my chicken fun. Welcome to the neighborhood!

Gallo Del Cielo, I've only had them about a year and a half. I just tend to go overboard.
wink.png
My first warning sign should have been the 16' X 24' evaporatively cooled, tile roof, double pane windowed henhouse, with a 24' X 24' "Arizona room".(run) They had to have someplace to stay safe when I wasn't home.

It actually sounds more impressive than it is. It still needs lots of trim work to be 'finished', is modified often, has a dirt floor, which I think the hens prefer, but makes a mess of their water troughs. I bought nipples to change over to that style of waterer but haven't yet.

I'm wondering, is a coop ever really finished? I'm always tinkering with mine. I just made the change to nipple waterers and so far, so good. I think you'll like them, they'll certainly be less messy since they don't make any mess at all.

I hope your back is feeling better.

The evap is a patio size Mastercool, at most a 3500 cfm, portable, but on a stand on a side wall, running on low speed most all the time, so it doesn't cost much to run. I only lost 1 hen and 1 rooster to heat this summer, they somehow got into an elevated rabbit hutch and the door closed behind them. I felt sick knowing how they died. The cooler really seem sto keep them happier.

With the number of birds you have, you have a remarkable survival rate for our heat. It sounds like your success rate would have been perfect but for the freak accident. That must have been sad to discover. Evaporative coolers are great. If I had more chickens or a larger coop I'd definitely have one.

I think I've moved my roosts four times now. I think I finally got it right. Of course I'm likely to change my mind in two months.
smile.png

I keep looking at all the coops posted here on BYC wishing I could build another one.

Just the other night I was thinking about "remodeling" the coop and making it so I have poop boards.

Too many ideas, too little time.

Looks like we'll have some more 90 degree days this week.

Rufus told me last year that if I want to keep my AC unit running I need to run it during the cool months so I ran it Saturday... I forgot I had left it on, walked into the coop and realized why all the chickens were out in the run. It was COLD in there. Next time I'll do it on a timer.

I know there are way better and more efficient designs out there than what I have. I just threw it together in a weekend without plans. So it's basic but functional.

Mahonri, are those boards at an angle to keep it from piling up on everything? I did that over my water troughs and inside nest boxes.

Last edited:
Good morning! One year ago today I woke up thinking about chickens. I didn't have any at the time, but I wanted to learn all that I could. I discovered BYC that morning and began reading. I also found this thread and began with the first post; it took me nearly two months to get up to date. I learned a lot about keeping chickens in our heat thanks to all of you who posted here. A very big thanks to you all. Have a great fall day Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom