Arizona Chickens

I bought them as Ameracaunas from Tractor Supply. All four were supposed to be the same. They were straight run, but I figured just by chance I should get at least a couple of hens. (I was apparently wrong.) The dark colored one has deep copper feathers, the tail is the only part that's got black, and it's starting to get the iridescent sheen to it I love.

Side note 1: Any idea how to harvest those pretty tail feathers when I dispatch the roo?

Side note 2, I'm going to butcher (and can) the boys. I don't want the next one taking over as @Parront said. I figure I might as well just do the deed all at once. I have discussed with my daughter and S-i-L the idea of having the 8 yr old grandson with us when we do, (not the 4 yr old granddaughter) as he tends to watch too much TV and YouTube and is always talking about shooting and stabbing and killing, I want him to have a bit of a reality check as well as know where his food comes from, not the store.

I raised my kids (and now grandkids) asking "what do you want for dinner, dead Cow, dead Pig or dead Chicken?" so they have no illusions about food meat, but seeing something die is another matter altogether. I'm hoping that sobers him up a little bit. At least I'm not doing what my grandfather did to me when I got too attached to one of the food rabbits......... my first butchering. But I do love the taste of rabbit. :)

Does anyone have opinions about freezer camp vs. Jar canning the chicken?
I think those who save pretty feathers on the cockerels skin them. If you are canning them, skin will not be needed anyway. I like to pressure cook older males and hens, if they are young, like under 6 months, you could de-bone them and hot-pack boneless chicken breast & thigh meat in pint jars. You can do it with raw meat, but I think with the small guys, roast them and then pick the meat to put it in jars with some of the juice from the roaster, topped off with broth. The younger they are, the better it is to just use de-boned breast fillets. I like using pre-cooked chicken from a jar! Open, add to mushroom soup, warm, spoon over rice. Dinner in 20 minutes!:drool

I think those who save pretty feathers on the cockerels skin them. If you are canning them, the skin will not be needed anyway. I like to pressure cook older males and hens, if they are young, like under 6 months, you could de-bone them and hot-pack boneless chicken breast & thigh meat in pint jars. You can do it with raw meat, but I think with the small guys, roast them and then pick the meat to put it in jars with some of the juice from the roaster, topped off with broth. The younger they are, the better it is to just use de-boned breast fillets. I like using pre-cooked chicken from a jar! Open, add to mushroom soup, warm, spoon over rice. Dinner in 20 minutes!:drool

So the precooked would be "Hot Pack" where the raw would be "Raw Pack" according to the NHPC. Yeah, so I'm thinking I might keep one of the males, just so the "flock" has a little more cohesion. Besides, I think the two girls would feel a little alone without one of the males. I'm not sure how they'll taste, they're like 4 months old, but they don't seem like they're developing into meat birds, especially the aggressive one, who's lean and mean. LOL

So the precooked would be "Hot Pack" where the raw would be "Raw Pack" according to the NHPC. Yeah, so I'm thinking I might keep one of the males, just so the "flock" has a little more cohesion. Besides, I think the two girls would feel a little alone without one of the males. I'm not sure how they'll taste, they're like 4 months old, but they don't seem like they're developing into meat birds, especially the aggressive one, who's lean and mean. LOL
4 months is younger than the ones I can. You could fry those if you wanted. Some books say you can can them with the bones in, but I don't want to waste space in my jars on bones. I use pint jars, with meat picked from roasted birds. Eat one, can the others.

The age of your's is perfect for culling for food. I have heard of people who butterfly them out and then cook them on the grill also, if you didn't want to heat up your house in this heat. Don't forget to marinate and give time for the rigor to ease up.

I would take that aggressive one and use him to learn on..lol, I've got the father of my roo in the freezer right now, he got stupid one to many times. What breed are your chickens?

Hi Arizona folks!! Is there anybody out there who wants a silkie rooster? I have no need for him, he's smaller than all my hens! I'll attach some pics. Here's how you can contact me: 719-466-9311. I'm in Bisbee :)

Attachments

• IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    576.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    625.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2847.JPG
    IMG_2847.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi Arizona folks!! Is there anybody out there who wants a silkie rooster? I have no need for him, he's smaller than all my hens! I'll attach some pics. Here's how you can contact me: 719-466-9311. I'm in Bisbee :)

Hello. glad that you came to our AZ. thread to chat. I hope that you will be able to find your silkie roo a home. He look's to be a non-bearded one. I am looking for a white silkie roo, but I want one of those Showgirl one's to go with my silkie hen's.

Back
Top Bottom