Arizona Chickens

BlueBaby

Enabler
Mar 21, 2016
Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
We have a neighbor up the road from us that his wife was tossing double yolks, she believed that there was something wrong with the egg..lol, told her there was nothing wrong with it, as when a hen first starts laying she's likely to do that, told her to consider it a blessing as it's a lot richer that way.
I like getting those, and I usually save them for myself when I do get them.

starri33

Crowing
Feb 28, 2016
Golden Valley AZ
:th, color me done for the day, had some major rain last night, went out to check on the new roof on the big coop and it's still leaking, how or why I don't know.. So I've just spent the morning mucking out the coop, they track dirt in, add water and we have mud.. lol.. so now it's wait till the handyman can come out again and see if we can figure it out.

BlueBaby

Enabler
Mar 21, 2016
:th, color me done for the day, had some major rain last night, went out to check on the new roof on the big coop and it's still leaking, how or why I don't know.. So I've just spent the morning mucking out the coop, they track dirt in, add water and we have mud.. lol.. so now it's wait till the handyman can come out again and see if we can figure it out.
Ok, you're colored done! :gig

I spent most of the day outside cleaning thing's in the coop and run. Then I moved the cockerel's from my last hatch into another pen away from the pullet's. All 3 of the Barnevelder pullet's are laying egg's now. I got my brooder partially ready for this next hatch now.

I don't know where all of these Grackle's came from that started showing up here today, but there's a bunch of them!

nuthatched

Songster
Nov 9, 2019
Rim Country, Az
Yes, they are naked Neck's. I had mixed the Crested Cream Legbar with the white Naked Neck rooster named Charley that I used to have, so that's why I have Naked Neck's that will lay the blue/green egg's. @starri33 now own's Charley. The 3 Black Copper Maran egg's haven't started hatching yet.
so , is the feather-less neck gene dominant then? I know that hen chicks get feathering from the father and roo chicks, from the mother, so would it be possible to create an auto sexing naked neck based who had a naked neck?
Do the Maran eggs even show signs of life? I know they're were giving you trouble with
candling.
Sorry for the inquisition, I know it bugs people, thank you for your patience with me!

BlueBaby

Enabler
Mar 21, 2016
so , is the feather-less neck gene dominant then? I know that hen chicks get feathering from the father and roo chicks, from the mother, so would it be possible to create an auto sexing naked neck based who had a naked neck?
Do the Maran eggs even show signs of life? I know they're were giving you trouble with
candling.
Sorry for the inquisition, I know it bugs people, thank you for your patience with me!
When you breed a featherless neck to a fully feathered neck, the chick's will come out with half of them still having the fully feathered neck's. The one's that come out as Naked Neck's only get one of those gene's and have the bib's. I'm not sure if you could develop a sex-linked Naked Neck or not. I haven't been working with them on that. When I hatch egg's that are from my own flock, I put only the biggest egg's from my hen's in there to get offspring that will lay big egg's too. Last year and the year before I was playing with the egg color gene's, so that's why my Naked Neck's are almost like those one's that they call Easter Egger's, as the hen's will lay a more colorful egg basket.

I couldn't see in the Maran egg's to candle them well, because they are so dark of a color. They didn't explode, so I left them in there.

I don't mind you asking question's, as I also do when I'm curious or want to learn something.

Top Bottom