Arizona Chickens

@drswann
I second this.. we fell in love with our chicks much quicker than I thought we would, as everyone can attest from my postings. My daughter and i were very distressed with the prospect of giving up our birds (due to being males) after raising and bonding with them. Since you're getting full size chickens (you can't figure out whose who with bantams -miniatures), you might as well avoid the grief for your kids. Its very real.

Good to know. I'm pretty sure my daughter-in-law, granddaughter, youngest grandson & myself are going to get attached pretty quick.

Hi! We'll be up in Williams, near Valle. Thank you for the information. The Lavender's aren't recognized by the APA, and are considered rare but have been growing more popular.

We're not really interested in the roosters at this point unless we decide to breed, but who knows what the future holds.

I'll check into the sex-linked layer although being a newbie and a bit of a weirdo I honestly had to read that sentence twice and giggled. I grew up around boys...LOL
In that area, you will be allowed to keep a rooster, if you wanted to, then? The sex-link layers are different colors when they hatch, so you can be sure that you have pullets. Just so you do not get attached to the boys, if you decide to breed later you would get "straight run" supposed to be as hatched 50-50 male & female. But, I am here to say as hatched is not always 50-50! Baby chicks are so adorable that you will fall in love with them, and the lottle roosters are the cutest and friendliest.

In that area, you will be allowed to keep a rooster, if you wanted to, then? The sex-link layers are different colors when they hatch, so you can be sure that you have pullets. Just so you do not get attached to the boys, if you decide to breed later you would get "straight run" supposed to be as hatched 50-50 male & female. But, I am here to say as hatched is not always 50-50! Baby chicks are so adorable that you will fall in love with them, and the lottle roosters are the cutest and friendliest.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'll need to find out. The only thing I've been able to confirm is that we can have up to 5 hens per lot.

LOL, of course the baby roosters would be the cutest. Darn boys!

Do you think it's better to start with unhatched eggs, baby chicks, or older?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'll need to find out. The only thing I've been able to confirm is that we can have up to 5 hens per lot.

My favorite is day-old chicks. The only hatching I ever did was done by the broody Orpington hen, I just watched. That is a good way to get roosters! Fun for the kids, until those little guys started to fight. I have to say, I prefer to order them direct from the hatchery. That way you get to decide just what you want. I think if you go to the local feed store you could ask them to order what you want when they place the order for the store. Sex-Link layers are very popular, but I think sometimes what you get from the big cage at Tractor Supply is not as advertised. Lots of hatcheries are letting people order as few as 6. Murray McMurray is one. I have ordered from them in the past and was happy with those chicks. They have a very informative web site.

Since you can only have the hen's, I would go with the older pullet's that are not far from laying age where you also won't have to worry about brooding them. That way you can be sure that you are only getting girl's and that they aren't about to be spent hen's.

Since you can only have the hen's, I would go with the older pullet's that are not far from laying age where you also won't have to worry about brooding them. That way you can be sure that you are only getting girl's and that they aren't about to be spent hen's.
True, this is the best way to not get a rooster. But you have to trust the seller to not sell you one of those old layers! New folks can not tell how old a hen is, or how healthy she is, either. You have to get older ready-to-lay pullets from someone you know and trust. I would have a hard time telling the age of one of my own birds! :p And, I just like raising chicks. :jumpy

True, this is the best way to not get a rooster. But you have to trust the seller to not sell you one of those old layers! New folks can not tell how old a hen is, or how healthy she is, either. You have to get older ready-to-lay pullets from someone you know and trust. I would have a hard time telling the age of one of my own birds! :p And, I just like raising chicks. :jumpy

I know. I do keep record's of my hatch dates on mine though in a notebook that I write them down in.

I second this. It's the only way to be guaranteed no rooster unless you go with sexlinks.

Ugh! It is nasty out there!
Screenshots_2020-07-11-16-49-49_(1).png

I went out to put fresh water in the chickens pools and added ice. We can see clouds to the North of us, looks like they'll be getting some rain in the high country tonight.

Ugh! It is nasty out there!
View attachment 2239140
I went out to put fresh water in the chickens pools and added ice. We can see clouds to the North of us, looks like they'll be getting some rain in the high country tonight.

I know it's hot out there. I even cut down another 5 gallon bucket to be able to put even more water out there for mine.

Back
Top Bottom