Arizona Chickens

I live in a vortex, so if i got rain here, there is hope for you! It seems like clouds are accumulating more now than they were earlier.

I need the rain so that these toad's over here will stay out of the animal's water bowl's and bucket's. I hope the dog's don't try licking these toad's because they will become very sick.

I need the rain so that these toad's over here will stay out of the animal's water bowl's and bucket's. I hope the dog's don't try licking these toad's because they will become very sick.
My plants usually survive summer... but they really need the rain and some temp changes. Its been too hot for too long! Payback for last year's minimal summer heat. I didn't bother setting the pool up. Its only 3 ft deep, it'll be sweltering.

My chickens have no idea how good they have it.

I hope the dog's don't try licking these toad's
Not sure,,,, is a dog's lick equivalent to a kiss :idunno
1597381527315.png

Last edited:
Not sure is a dogs lick is equivalent to a kiss :idunno
View attachment 2289602

These are the toad's that will sit under the light's at night and eat ton's of bug's, but they also have some type of toxic that they secrete from gland's that cover's their body. If the dog were to swallow it, it would kill it.

My scale does not weigh in ounces. Carole got the biggest males at the time we split the flock, hers have a much better shot at making it to adult/breeder status! Mine are named "Nuggets"!
I'm feeding 20% protien grower/starter and an occasional overripe tomato or bad apple. The only scale I have handy is a 5 pound max digital postal scale - I could give you a more precise weight in ounces but not when they get over 5 pounds!

Started rebuilding/demo of the old coop...Standing seam roof we took off is the best material and nothing is holding it up...
20200812_180653 - Copy.jpg

Farmers frame at no less than 4' on center...(bottom board in contact with ground) sill plate is non-existant... my DH is in the building trades so we will be fixing this right...
20200812_180521_HDR - Copy.jpg
The wire covered run is great (and NEEDED due to HAWK situation at the other run only covered in aviary netting now)- need to add some joist hangers and maybe another pole for support...
20200812_180446_HDR - Copy.jpg

Started rebuilding/demo of the old coop...Standing seam roof we took off is the best material and nothing is holding it up...View attachment 2290022
Farmers frame at no less than 4' on center...(bottom board in contact with ground) sill plate is non-existant... my DH is in the building trades so we will be fixing this right...
View attachment 2290024The wire covered run is great (and NEEDED due to HAWK situation at the other run only covered in aviary netting now)- need to add some joist hangers and maybe another pole for support...View attachment 2290026
The size of it is great! It is about like the place I wanted to keep the chickens here, pretty far gone, needs so much work that I went another direction. Just storing yard equipment stuff in it right now.

@CaroleW Is that the coop that you will be putting the Holland's in?
Yes, that's the intention. We are reorrienting it to have a door on the long side instead of the gable end so i can better separate 3 pens and give each pen an outdoor run area from that longer side. One inside pen may end up being the other flock's coop with an outdoor run along gable (pitched roof) end that's separate from the Hollands. I could also just trade the older flock to go in this coop/run and let the Hollands live in the greenhouse for the winter.

Many options! I hope the hawks leave by then too.

Or the (13 minus 3 extra males) 10 Hollands will fit nicely in the other coop/run that is in the pole barn without having to go outside unless supervised by me. It's approx. 14x17 with an elevated 4x8 coop inside. The aviary net covered run is outside of that.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the intention. We are reorrienting it to have a door on the long side instead of the gable end so i can better separate 3 pens and give each pen an outdoor run area from that longer side. One inside pen may end up being the other flock's coop with an outdoor run along gable (pitched roof) end that's separate from the Hollands. I could also just trade the older flock to go in this coop/run and let the Hollands live in the greenhouse for the winter.

Many options! I hope the hawks leave by then too.

Or the (13 minus 3 extra males) 10 Hollands will fit nicely in the other coop/run that is in the pole barn without having to go outside unless supervised by me. It's approx. 14x17 with an elevated 4x8 coop inside. The aviary net covered run is outside of that.
Always extra males! I ordered some tools to capon them, we will see if the tools get here in time for these guys. They are growing fast! I am also feeding the 20% chick crumble from Tractor Supply, with a side of grass & occasional bugs.

Back
Top Bottom