Arizona Chickens

I would LUV to have a Capon as a pet. Cant keep roosters in my area, but as long as my chicken does not cockadoodle, I would not have Sheriff telling me to get rid of my rooster.
I researched caponizing, and know what it takes to complete. I just don't have the courage or ability to do it. I would just keep the Capon same as all my other pets. Just because it was not producing eggs like my hens, is not an issue for me. Capons do grow to be different looking then if they remained rooster. (got this from reading about them :idunno ) Wonder if one would serve as guardian to flock like a Good Rooster???
Quite some time ago, before I had chickens, I used to see poultry meat in the grocery store, labeled Capon. I had no idea what that was, and too lazy to look it up in the Websters Dictionary. I assumed it was a breed of duck or something similar.
Have not seen Capon in meat section since those times.
Have read, that a certain area in the Mediterranean Europe, prides itself on Capon meat, similar in caliber compared to the Breese chickens in France.
I am told that the Capon acts more like a hen, and might even brood chicks.
They still have beautiful male feathers, but no big comb or wattles. The old books say to leave the head on and saddle feathers on when dressing a capon, so people can tell what they are buying! I think they would make a nice pet, like a neutered dog.

I would LUV to have a Capon as a pet. Cant keep roosters in my area, but as long as my chicken does not cockadoodle, I would not have Sheriff telling me to get rid of my rooster.
I researched caponizing, and know what it takes to complete. I just don't have the courage or ability to do it. I would just keep the Capon same as all my other pets. Just because it was not producing eggs like my hens, is not an issue for me. Capons do grow to be different looking then if they remained rooster. (got this from reading about them :idunno ) Wonder if one would serve as guardian to flock like a Good Rooster???
Quite some time ago, before I had chickens, I used to see poultry meat in the grocery store, labeled Capon. I had no idea what that was, and too lazy to look it up in the Websters Dictionary. I assumed it was a breed of duck or something similar.
Have not seen Capon in meat section since those times.
Have read, that a certain area in the Mediterranean Europe, prides itself on Capon meat, similar in caliber compared to the Breese chickens in France.

You probably don't see them in the store's anymore because the one's they sell grow so fast that they they don't get old enough to crow before butchering.

My 7 new four week old Silver Grey Dorking's:

0816201103a_resized.jpg
0816201103c_resized.jpg
0816201104_resized.jpg
0816201104b_resized.jpg

I'm with you there on not wanting the rain to miss us this time. We really could use some.
That cloud moved quickly towards me, and it's a wall along the east as well. I can hear lots of thunder, so **maybe** 🤞🤞🤞 .... ohhhh tons of super rain and wind before i even hit send!! Its going to be a good one!! Hopefully my pergola stays 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom