Arizona Chickens

Hi everyone :) I’m already missing the cool weather we had last week haha. The chickens sure loved the breeze and not having to be in the heat. I hope everyone who celebrates had a happy Halloween last night! The full moon was beautiful :love

.....it was below 20* up here with 22mph winds...I'm glad you got the nicer end of that cold snap, lol.

Misty sounds like a girl who knows what she wants! :p And yes the cool weather has a way of making outdoor chores more appealing. I’m looking forward to colder weather! Over the summer we made a split second decision to plant some watermelons and we just harvested a few that looked ripe. so the chickens have had some extra treats this week :)

Yes, and she like's being petted before she goes into the nest to lay the egg, too.

I saved the seed's from the pumpkin that I got. They can be planted next year once the temp get into the 70's. I'll have to check to see when the best time is to plant watermelon will be.

Last edited:
When would be considered the best time to get chicks during the year? We have a few house renovations we want to get done before we start any new projects so I’m wondering what time next year would be best to add a few hens to the flock.

Early spring before they sell out like they did this year for some.

Yes, and she like's being petted before she goes into the nest to lay the egg, too.

I saved the seed's from the pumpkin that I got. They can be planted next year once the temp get into the 70's. I'll have to check to seed when the best time is to plant watermelon will be.
What a sweetheart! To be fair, I definitely should have done more research on watermelons haha. I just saw the seeds and was tempted to try them on a whim. We planted them in about June or July and the only real problem we had was some bugs which apparently tend to nest in their leaves. Their leaves do take up much more room than I thought! I had planted them with some fencing so the dogs wouldn’t get to them but I ended up having to take it down because of how much space it was filling up. I’ll definitely try gardening more in the future, but with more planning :) do you usually plant your own seeds instead of store-bought ones?

What a sweetheart! To be fair, I definitely should have done more research on watermelons haha. I just saw the seeds and was tempted to try them on a whim. We planted them in about June or July and the only real problem we had was some bugs which apparently tend to nest in their leaves. Their leaves do take up much more room than I thought! I had planted them with some fencing so the dogs wouldn’t get to them but I ended up having to take it down because of how much space it was filling up. I’ll definitely try gardening more in the future, but with more planning :) do you usually plant your own seeds instead of store-bought ones?

That's how it was basically done in the old day's. People would save the seed's from what they would eat, and then plant them later. I used to grow tomatoes like that, but it was years ago and in a different state. I had a friend before that would cut the bottom's off of the store bought green onion's and plant them and they grew new one's. I did a search online, and it said that pumpkin seed's are good for planting for up to 6 years.

Do you know the difference between a Plymouth barred rock and a Dominiques? The Barren Holland’s have lighter legs, but I think the D do to. Idk. Maybe egg color or size, hard to tell apart.
I think I can sort of tell my Barred Holland and Cukoo Maran apart by the way they hold thier tail feathers and because they are a couple weeks older they are a little bigger. To know for sure I might just have to wait for them to lay a brown egg (Maran) or white egg (Holland). Holland is a rare breed so probably why not heard of too much.

I don't have either Barred Rock or Dominique so without looking on the breed list of traits I wouldn't know the diff.

Back
Top Bottom