Arizona Chickens

Maybe ours up here are not out, I hope that they are, we are supposed to get some real cold Wednesday night, I hope some snakes won't make it!
I'm hoping because we're a bit colder we have a few weeks. I could do without a rattlesnake, but I do have the fire dept's non-emergency cell phone. Where I am I can't exactly use a shotgun...

I'm hoping because we're a bit colder we have a few weeks. I could do without a rattlesnake, but I do have the fire dept's non-emergency cell phone. Where I am I can't exactly use a shotgun...
We are right in town, but they can still show up! My Grandpaw would kill them early in the morning with a shovel. Cut it's head off. They are coiled up and too cold to move. Only pick it up with a shovel, the dead snake's head can still bite! Just like a dead bird can still flap.

The rat snakes will usually stay away from the coop's unless you have mice. Then it would be dangerous if you have baby chick's out there too. I had some that were eaten by a rat snake that got in there a couple year's back. It would also be a good idea to go pick up your egg's out of the nest boxes several times a day, so that they can't be eaten by the rat snakes.

I will be driving down to Phoenix this Wed, does anyone want some duck eggs to hatch? from my mix of ducks, 4 males & 4 females. 2 males are checking into camp freezer this afternoon. I am thinking of hatching some, but I have 21 right now and I have not purchased an incubator yet. I will be at a Dr office and waiting while my neighbor gets treatment. 4040 Camelback Rd.
Some photos of the parents. (Now you know who is going to camp-white male is #1 on my list, # 2 is the Golden Cascade male in pic #2). Rouen pair is staying. The Rouen drake is beautiful. There is a Buff pair, too. But these guys run all together right now, eggs could be anything!
Ducks: Buff, Ancona, Khaki Runner, and Rouen.
Drakes: Golden Cascade, White Campbell, Buff & Rouen.
Last photo - eggs. All the ones I have eaten look fertile to me! I am getting 2 green and 1 white every day. I am sure that the Runner and The Buff are both laying - one green and one white each morning in their pen, the other green one could be either the Ancona or the Rouen duck.
If you are close by this area, I could drop them off. Make me an offer!
I might talk to you in a couple months about some duck eggs for hatching if you have them at that time.

Anyone local able to assist? I don't know what I'm doing. I adopted 4 hens from Cody, the Chino guy that sold the farm and moved. My favorite one didn't make it a single week before dying. She wasn't of laying age yet. I now have one young one and 2 laying age hens. I get an egg a day, from my Australorp, but my Buff Orpington doesn't seem to be laying. I checked her and she has lice. I read that a drop of ivermectin is the best way to treat? Is this accurate? I gave them all a drop on the back of their neck Sunday night. And today my BO has a more pale comb. I don't even know what to do or who to see. I hope I'm not coming to the wrong place. I'm new to chickens and my ducks never had much issue so I'm lost. I tried searching the forum but I don't even know what to search because everything kind of led to a dead end for me.

...Now that I've taken pictures it seems both laying hens have paler combs.

Attachments

• 16153085832481624469862393878379.jpg
    16153085832481624469862393878379.jpg
    769.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 16153086271933890726420143174536.jpg
    16153086271933890726420143174536.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 16153086967983304729867734741094.jpg
    16153086967983304729867734741094.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 1
Anyone local able to assist? I don't know what I'm doing. I adopted 4 hens from Cody, the Chino guy that sold the farm and moved. My favorite one didn't make it a single week before dying. She wasn't of laying age yet. I now have one young one and 2 laying age hens. I get an egg a day, from my Australorp, but my Buff Orpington doesn't seem to be laying. I checked her and she has lice. I read that a drop of ivermectin is the best way to treat? Is this accurate? I gave them all a drop on the back of their neck Sunday night. And today my BO has a more pale comb. I don't even know what to do or who to see. I hope I'm not coming to the wrong place. I'm new to chickens and my ducks never had much issue so I'm lost. I tried searching the forum but I don't even know what to search because everything kind of led to a dead end for me.

I think the combs just look a little dry. Mine are indoors (miniature) and theirs are the same way.

Do you have layer feed for them, as well as calcium? That will help with their egg production and health. I haven't dealt with lice, but im sure someone will give you feedback on that shortly. Pretty chickens!

Have you also checked their vent's for the lice or mites? What about the leg's? How's their poop Look?

Last edited:
I have not personally dealt with chicken lice/mites (only a matter of time , I'm sure) but know that you can use Sevin dust (I don't think this is organic/natural product & requires careful application) to control lice/mites. It is something many gardeners have on thier shelf.

If mites--- It is said that Dawn dish soap sprayed will kill mites that fall off the chicken- not sure if it kills them on the chicken but I use foamed Dawn soap on chicks when I clean up pasty-butt so it seems safe to use in my experience.

Here is something I found- I have not tried this myself --
Putting garlic or garlic juice in chicken's diet can help since most of the parasites don't like the taste of it in the chicken's blood. You can also create a mix of water, garlic juice, and a type of essential oil (like lavender), and spray it directly on your chickens and around their coop.Jan 2, 2020

How to Get Rid of Chicken Mites and Lice Naturally - Freedom .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom