Arizona Chickens

OK everybody, here is the famous Chicken Palace. The inside is 5 feet wide by 6 feet long plus the nesting boxes, which would total close to 8 feet in length, and about 9 feet high. Since Leghorns fly more than a lot of breeds, maybe I could do something to make use of that vertical space? What do you think? I'm thinking of adding another roost, since they're angled, and one is about 3 feet long, the other one about 2 1/2 feet long.

He built it with interior and exterior walls, so it's double-walled with air space in between. No insulation, that would really be asking a lot. I don't know if the double walls will help keep them warmer in winter and cooler in summer or not. I took the side pic so you can see the ventilation holes that are on two opposite sides, facing east and west. He was going to use chicken wire to cover the ventilation holes, but I handed him 1/4" hardware cloth to use instead. Once I get the run attached, the door will be open during the day for them to come in and out, and that will add more ventilation.

I need to paint it, since most of the walls are particle board, and rain, blowing sand, and monsoons could damage that. I'm thinking of painting the inside tan. Might as well help hide any possible future stains.

I was up pretty much around the clock last night, so I'll probably not get back to this thread until the morning. Without further ado, The Chicken Palace....
View attachment 2711839View attachment 2711842View attachment 2711852

All of that glass in the door could make it hot if the sun shine's in through it, won't it? Will it need more ventilation?

I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but my bag of 2,000 bug's arrived on Monday. Today, I noticed that little bug's were crawling around inside of the bag, so seeing that they must have hatched, I followed the instruction's that were enclosed with them when they arrived. I hung them up out of the reach of the chicken's out in the coop. I'll soon be able to see if the bug's will take care of those flies.

Your welcome! Those that they have there are the light colored one's. It seems it's harder to find the buff colored one's.
I found some dark Pullet chicks in show low, I saw some buff or partridge brahmas but they were hatching eggs . ..for $50... they are pretty but I'd rather order some Barnevelder eggs for that money.

All of that glass in the door could make it hot if the sun shine's in through it, won't it? Will it need more ventilation?
With the door open, I think it should have plenty of ventilation. But I didn't think about he windows. A shade should be able to take care of that, thanks.

Good morning, hoping that if anyone is by the fires in Globe are ok? The dual blade helicopters have been flying over our house the last week refueling at the small airport here in Mesa. Here is our sweet guard dog watching me and her flock.

Attachments

• 329ABCFF-307A-45A7-9458-077859AB708E.jpeg
    329ABCFF-307A-45A7-9458-077859AB708E.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom