Arizona Chickens

a few, most of what is in there is in the ground
How are your plants this morning?

Yesterday I had to fix the electrical cord that goes from the shed to the well to provide power to the heat tape around the water pipe. It's not cold enough for a well line to freeze yet, but colder weather is coming. Something (rabbits/cats/rodents/squirrels) chewed it up.

My most useless dog got her teeth on a cockeral yesterday. Both of them were in places they should not be - free ranging cockerel and dog got past me to the chicken area when I was putting the other dog in her fenced area.

I kept the shocked cockerel in the office overnite (coldest place in the house) and then put him back outside this morning - he seems to be okay.

My most useless dog got her teeth on a cockeral yesterday. Both of them were in places they should not be - free ranging cockerel and dog got past me to the chicken area when I was putting the other dog in her fenced area.

I kept the shocked cockerel in the office overnite (coldest place in the house) and then put him back outside this morning - he seems to be okay.
Sorry that happened, but glad that the cockerel seems to be ok. Did the dog break any of the skin?

I guess that's a lesson learned not to put stuff in the ground if you live where a freeze can kill it?
well, it was in the center of the greenhouse, normally it is safe to plant things in the ground inside there. I checked, so starting around midnight, which was yesterday morning we sustained 70 mph winds for over 6 hours. I'm just glad there was not more damage. I went to town and on the way a lot of houses lost roofs and barns were on the other side of the property from where they were. So just the greenhouse film being ripped off, we were lucky

What about putting some plastic sheeting or blanket's over them? Would that help to keep them from freezing and dieing?
i lucked out last night, it got down to 34 best I can tell. Chickens' water didn't freeze, my plants in the patio (covered w/sheeting) were OK, no frost seen anywhere. I think you have to have the coverings go all the way down to the ground. My plants are in pots on the patio, so I did what I could with the sheeting I had. For larger operations, I think the early frost caught people off guard. It is early in the season, plus it was expected to happen Wed night but actually changed to Tues night at the last minute. Hope everyone else did OK.

How are your plants this morning?

Yesterday I had to fix the electrical cord that goes from the shed to the well to provide power to the heat tape around the water pipe. It's not cold enough for a well line to freeze yet, but colder weather is coming. Something (rabbits/cats/rodents/squirrels) chewed it up.
I'll know shortly. Some things like the banana's and such will only show damage after they warm up. I did loose a few things outright when I went out this morning as it was 35, so not a total write off, but there will be a lot of damage. And we can forget about the banana's that were flowering, those were toast. so no banana's before I move.

well, it was in the center of the greenhouse, normally it is safe to plant things in the ground inside there. I checked, so starting around midnight, which was yesterday morning we sustained 70 mph winds for over 6 hours. I'm just glad there was not more damage. I went to town and on the way a lot of houses lost roofs and barns were on the other side of the property from where they were. So just the greenhouse film being ripped off, we were lucky
glad to hear that! hope we don't have any more insane record winds while your property is listed.

I think the early frost caught people off guard. It is early in the season, plus it was expected to happen Wed night but actually changed to Tues night at the last minute. Hope everyone else did OK.
Yeah, I normally don't have to turn on the heat in the greenhouse until mid November, or the house. so no pilot lights were on and it got cold in the house this morning, down to 65. I have to laugh, back east before we moveout here 65 was shorts weather, now after living here for 11 years, it's pull out the longjohns and winter wear when it hits 65

Its supposed to be in the 60's and we are planning to go boating for last time in season. No swimming though.
I'm where I drew the blue circle. Mild temps for October.
image_2021-10-13_152323.png

Back
Top Bottom