Arizona Chickens

Inside the city limits in my own backyard I saw a big hawk sitting on my power pole just this week AND for the past two nights I can hear an owl across the street. Just what I need. If others have strikers I wont worry to much about the ladies. EASTER is the oldest and HOT is the youngest, all the others have edible food names thanks to my grand daughter. Marshmallow, Cherry, Strawberry, S'more and Biscuit. I think she was hungry.

Haven't been around for a while but the wife keeps asking when the 6 girls are going to start laying again. Its been close to 6 weeks since they went on strike. None look like they are molting much if at all. The seventh an EE has not stopped laying. Any thoughts. North Phoenix.
With some hens it is easy to tell when they are molting others not so much.

20211028_164957(1)[2].jpg

Sorry I can't help with your question but I wanted to give a shoutout to Mesa! Born and raised! But life brought me to TX before I got my chickens. I miss the scenary and the freeways. And Macayo's mini chimis.
Good luck with your desert birdies!
Hello! Planning on visiting again one day?

Sorry I can't help with your question but I wanted to give a shoutout to Mesa! Born and raised! But life brought me to TX before I got my chickens. I miss the scenary and the freeways. And Macayo's mini chimis.
Good luck with your desert birdies!
Life swaps us all around, doesn't it? I was raised in Wichita Falls, but have traveled around with the spousal unit for thirty years, and ended up in Arizona--before I can have chickens. :) I ran up and down between San Antonio and WF for years when my dad was still alive, but never went through Leander. I bet it's pretty there.

Cheers!

Haven't been around for a while but the wife keeps asking when the 6 girls are going to start laying again. Its been close to 6 weeks since they went on strike. None look like they are molting much if at all. The seventh an EE has not stopped laying. Any thoughts. North Phoenix.
Shorter daylight hours signal less egg production. That's why some flock keepers would supplement with artificial lighting to get around 14 hours of light a day. It won't keep molters laying - you can either grow feathers or lay eggs but not really both at same time.

My sexlink Stars are still laying pretty much (since they are bred for higher egg production) but most of the others are only laying sporadically now. In summer I get at least 2 doz a day - winter only about 6 a day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom